Huggies Forum

Small Cars Lock Rss

My Mum is looking at purchasing a new/demo car! She is looking at the 2010 Barina but my uncle who is a Kia dealer is telling her they're no good - I don't trust his motives lol. There is a 2010 Barina in my Mums state for $11,990 with only 37kms on the clock - do you think this is a good deal? All other 2010 Barinas are listed online as $13,990. Do you/have you ever had a Barina? What is your advice? Or any other small car - she would like to pay no more than $14,000.

Thanks!

My Mum is looking at purchasing a new/demo car! She is looking at the 2010 Barina but my uncle who is a Kia dealer is telling her they're no good - I don't trust his motives lol. There is a 2010 Barina in my Mums state for $11,990 with only 37kms on the clock - do you think this is a good deal? All other 2010 Barinas are listed online as $13,990. Do you/have you ever had a Barina? What is your advice? Or any other small car - she would like to pay no more than $14,000.

Thanks!

DP is a mechanic, I can ask him when he gets home if you like? I am pretty sure he would say DO NOT BUY A KIA! lol

Probably a corolla or something like that!
Being a Holden and at that price, your mum probably can't go wrong. Having said that, I have had a Kia Rio for four years and still love it! Never once had a problem with it and I think they're even cheaper these days than the $17,990 I paid for it.

Thanks!

First response is a BIG NO to the Barina as its an imported car.

He recommends a toyota Corolla, you can pick up anything from 2004 and up from around $13000 roughly and they are VERY reliable.

Good luck with your search!!
I second a corolla!

Very safe car and sooooo nice and easy to drive!

I've had mine (new) since 2003 and never ever ever ever had a problem with it.
So reliable and feels so safe and secure on the road.

I'd recommend a toyota to anyone who asks - they really are a great car co..

I have heard that the Toyota Yaris are really good small cars.

I am in love with the new Mitsubishi ASX at the moment in Titanium colour. They are a smaller car and very affordable for a brand new car. We have had Mitsubishi's a couple time before and NEVER had any trouble with them at all.

Sadly, DH does not share my vision and I don't think I will be purchasing one any time soon. lol! huh

My Mum has always had Toyota Corolla's and loves hers! She has never had any dramas and they are really nice to drive too.

I learnt to drive in a Corrolla, and my sister had one until bil did something stupid with a chainsaw.... Long story but she would still have that car if it wasn't squashed. Any way very easy car . They were the shape before the current one.

Mum has Getz, which is good for her purpose. The only trouble they've had was the ceilling needed to be reglude. She doesn't drive far everyday, but sometimes does a run out to my sisters house (40 mins) and it fits a carseat and booster in it.

Dh drives my old mazda 121 and if the new ones are as good as that one has being for me they are worth a look.
As mentioned above...Toyota Corolla is the way to go.

I have a Yaris and it is great but has no power, Corolla's are just a tad bigger and much more powerful.

When I mean powerful, it can handle more than 2 people in the car (doesnt feel weighed down) and can get up hills easier.
Thanks for all the replies girls .. and while I agree Toyota are a very quality car brand - they are not in my Mums budget unfortunatley sad She is only looking to pay up to around $14,000 and is dead set on buying brand new or demo model .. Hope she finds something decent!
I bought a new Barina in 2008 and loved it. I paid $14,500 but that was with rust protection. I test drove the Kia and didnt think it was anywhere near as good as the Barina. I only got rid of my Barina to upgrade to a larger commodore due to the new baby otherwise I would still have it smile
The Hyundai Getz are great little cars too, that would of been my second choice.
I bought a brand new Barina maaaaaaaaaany years ago as the first car that I ever bought myself.

I LOVED it, it was comfy and great on fuel. Not spacious but not squashy.

I got slammed into in an accident in Melbourne and the damage was surprisingly small for the magnitude of the accident. I reckon it was a great car.

For a small to medium car, my all time fave was my nissan pulsar sedan (they make hatches as well). I miss my nissan (sniff sniff lol)
my inlaws recently bought a suzuki swift and its a great little car and surprisingly roomy inside

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic