Huggies Forum

am i mean? - fur baby question Lock Rss

hey ladies/guys,

I know this technically isn't a human baby question, but I tend to get good advice from most of you so wonder....

We have a 2 year old british bulldog which we love to bits, but she has a habit of going to the toilet inside. I take her out to the toilet before I go to bed at around 10pm and assume she should be able to hold it until we get up at 7am. But unfortunately some nights she just doesn't and goes on the floor. We have started letting her sleep outside at night now it is getting warmer, but she stands outside the door and barks until we let her in, so now, we have chained her up to her dog house (overnight from 10ish til we get up in the morning & she has access to water), which is working as she no longer barks at night, but I feel really mean, like she is getting pushed further away from the family. Her house is nice and warm, but I still feel mean. Plus it's real stormy tonight, so I might risk it and leave her inside.

Should I feel mean??

TIA, Sarah
i really hate the idea of pets tied up for hours on end. makes me feel sad for the animal sad
I'm house training a stubborn pup atm so I understand your annoyance...BUT can you not just keep him in the laundry overnight, and put some papers down??? My dog is only bad when he has the run of the house, at night he is great and only uses the newspaper as it is pretty much his only choice! I couldn't chain a dog up for hours without being close by, you never knbow what might go wrong.
Honestly as it is overnight, i would do the same, ours are in a pen overnight well away from the house as the bark all night! But I prefer dogs outside anyway

i really hate the idea of pets tied up for hours on end. makes me feel sad for the animal sad

I know, me too, but its pretty gross cleaning up poo and wee in the morning

I'm house training a stubborn pup atm so I understand your annoyance...BUT can you not just keep him in the laundry overnight, and put some papers down??? My dog is only bad when he has the run of the house, at night he is great and only uses the newspaper as it is pretty much his only choice! I couldn't chain a dog up for hours without being close by, you never knbow what might go wrong.

fully, she managed to wrap her chain around the swing & slide set, but barked to let us know she was stuck, we fixed that problem. Unfortunately our laundry is downstairs, and the only access is from outside, when she sleeps inside it is in the kitchen as thats the only room (apart from the bathroom and toilet) without new carpet. We have tried the newspaper thing, and she was really good at it as a puppy, but its 50/50 now whether she decides to use it.

I know, me too, but its pretty gross cleaning up poo and wee in the morning

that's the perks of the job i guess. not having a go, but you did ask.

it has only been in the last few weeks where i havent had to clean poo and wee every morning from dd's cot.
no offence taken, i so agree!!
Do you have to chain her up? is it only becuae she barks? It may take a few nights but she will eventually stop.
ok so wish me luck, it is now 11:30 pm and I am taking her out to the toilet. She is sleeping inside tonight as it is really scarily crappy out, plus DH is coming home from town at around 3am so will get him to take her out again then...

thanks for your replies smile

Do you have to chain her up? is it only becuae she barks? It may take a few nights but she will eventually stop.

yip, its because of her barking. I am sure it is an attention thing as she has a different bark if there is something that is worrying her. Poor girl. She doesn't bark (much) if she isn't by the door.

ok so wish me luck, it is now 11:30 pm and I am taking her out to the toilet. She is sleeping inside tonight as it is really scarily crappy out, plus DH is coming home from town at around 3am so will get him to take her out again then...

thanks for your replies smile

good luck!

just a suggestion...my bestie has a lab which is meant to be an outside dog though does try to sneak in when noone is looking. she took one of their old (really used) rugs for him to have outside as a comforter and that quietened him down outside.
Sign in to follow this topic