Huggies Forum

Its been ELEVEN days Rss

DS2 that is. He has not pooed for eleven days!! I have tried water, extra breast feeds, water with sugar, pear juice and he has been having coloxyl drops for 5 days and still nothing. He smells awful lol but he is happy and content. I don't know what to do??? Do I go back to chemist tomorrow or straight to doctor??

Please help I am sick of every conversation in my house revolving around poo and whether DS2 has done one or not yet lol

Thanks!
Sarah

Hi I hope you dont mind me making comments, but I was told that can happen to breastfed babies. But I would be going to the doctor for peace of mind and to find out what is happening. It may not be anything but at least you will know. Thats what I would do anyway. Good luck let us know how you go.

flowers

Hi I hope you dont mind me making comments, but I was told that can happen to breastfed babies. But I would be going to the doctor for peace of mind and to find out what is happening. It may not be anything but at least you will know. Thats what I would do anyway. Good luck let us know how you go.

Thanks no I don't mind at all. He has never been consitpated before now so I think its not the breastmilk but because I started him on solids a couple of weeks ago. He was usually pretty regular, every couple of days at least before.

Sarah xo

are you using brown sugar? A lady at mum's group told me she used brown sugar and water and it worked. Another has also given her son a teaspoon (or was it a tablespoon??) of fresh orange juice and that cleared him out.

I really hope your son gets home relief soon.
My son went 7 days from memory and his farts were disgusting. He was also pooping pebbles. Coloxyl didn't work for him either.

Cooper 24-7-2009

Hi there, I have read in the book 'Baby Love' that it is perfectly normal for a baby who is exclusively breastfed to go up to three weeks without a poo! My DD has gone 2 weeks before and then goes back to doing three or four a day! As long as when they do go that it is quite big and soft its fine, if when they poo it is hard then they were obviously constipated...anyway hope that eases your mind a little smile

Thanks no I don't mind at all. He has never been consitpated before now so I think its not the breastmilk but because I started him on solids a couple of weeks ago. He was usually pretty regular, every couple of days at least before.

Sarah xo

Sorry, I just realised you said he is on solids...ignore what I said! Hope you get it sorted out soon! smile

are you using brown sugar? A lady at mum's group told me she used brown sugar and water and it worked. Another has also given her son a teaspoon (or was it a tablespoon??) of fresh orange juice and that cleared him out.

I really hope your son gets home relief soon.
My son went 7 days from memory and his farts were disgusting. He was also pooping pebbles. Coloxyl didn't work for him either.

Thanks yeah its seriously gross lol. He's only just 5 months would orange juice be too harsh on his tummy? I guess its probaby no worse than being blocked up for so long?

Sarah

Oj might be a bt much, you cant give them too many solids at 5 months, a midwife told me to lay of the citrus for a while while they are still young. I'm sure he will work it out soon. Your lucky he is happy. Good luck

flowers

If he's passing lots of wind then it may be on it's way lol. Very normal for BF bubs to have odd poo routines...what kind of solids are you giving? Just remember that at 5 months bubs only need a tiny teaspoon once or twice a day, his main source of food should still be milk smile I hope he goes soon though, I don't envy you that nappy change lol....a friend's bub used to only poo once a fortnight, and when he went, it came out the sleeves and the neck of his clothes every time unsure

ETA that I wouldn't give oj personally, but maybe a tiny bit of very watered down apple juice may be worth a try??
I'm not sure if it will be too harsh on his tummy, maybe that's why she only gave him a teaspoon. It cleared my friends baby up within hours.

Cooper 24-7-2009

If he's passing lots of wind then it may be on it's way lol. Very normal for BF bubs to have odd poo routines...what kind of solids are you giving? Just remember that at 5 months bubs only need a tiny teaspoon once or twice a day, his main source of food should still be milk smile I hope he goes soon though, I don't envy you that nappy change lol....a friend's bub used to only poo once a fortnight, and when he went, it came out the sleeves and the neck of his clothes every time unsure

ETA that I wouldn't give oj personally, but maybe a tiny bit of very watered down apple juice may be worth a try??

Lol eek yeah I'm not looking forward to it!!! I think I gave him too much food too soon, he just loves it and cries when I stop feeding him so he was having maybe 1/4 cup of food (usually rice cereal mixed with fruit puree) but only once a day and I've stopped a few days ago when I realised it was making him consitpated.

Thanks I'll try some apple juice in the morning

I wouldn't worry toomuch if he is still happy and content. My DS goes weeks also to poo. Dr says this is fine unless he gets unsettled or in obvious pain. If you're truely worries try glycerine suppositories. Harmless and they work a treat. Again I wouldn't be giving too my solids at his age but you're the mum and ultimatley you know your baby best.

Good luck.
Sign in to follow this topic