Huggies Forum

indoor play centres Lock Rss

Hi there mummies..and daddies of huggies

I am looking at opening up an indoor play centre in my local area. Just wondering if you could tell me your experience of these places. How often do you go? what elements of this type of play centre do you like and dislike.Would you be more likely to go if there were features or free events such as kids face painting, music programs, specials for mothers groups etc

I know for me often they can be quite dirty and run down, the ones that are clean really stand out. The cafe food is always so expensive also.

Thanks in advance for your input guys, i will be on and off all day so forgive me if my replies are not immediate smile

Hi there mummies..and daddies of huggies

I am looking at opening up an indoor play centre in my local area. Just wondering if you could tell me your experience of these places. How often do you go? what elements of this type of play centre do you like and dislike.Would you be more likely to go if there were features or free events such as kids face painting, music programs, specials for mothers groups etc

I know for me often they can be quite dirty and run down, the ones that are clean really stand out. The cafe food is always so expensive also.

Thanks in advance for your input guys, i will be on and off all day so forgive me if my replies are not immediate smile

we do not go very often as our kids are getting a bit too old, but if you allow people to bring their own food that would be great, even if there is a $2 surcharge for byo food.the one near us does not serve hot chips etc at all more healthy foods

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

we do not go very often as our kids are getting a bit too old, but if you allow people to bring their own food that would be great, even if there is a $2 surcharge for byo food.the one near us does not serve hot chips etc at all more healthy foods

Thanks for your input. Byo food is a good idea, i must admit i assume the cafe food prices could be what keeps these places afloat on the slow periods. I also find that although all state not to bring in your own food, nothing is ever said when i do give my children their home made foods. How old is too old for an indoor play centre?

We have only been a few times- not really into them.
The cost is generally ridiculous just to get in, then the food is a bit above reasonable- although more reasonable than entry price!
I would also prefer that little kids couldn't get into the BIG play area- so fenced off. Plenty of seating in the baby/toddler area so you could sit while supervising.
Definitely discounts for groups- perhaps 5 adults or kids and above.

That's all I can think of. As I said, I don't really go.

Good luck grin

Hi

I've only been to one with DS.

The age limits are 0 - 8.

There are different play areas for the age groups & there are signs in each area so you know what ages are allowed where, safety things.

The slides are fenced off with soft mesh so no falls.

Admission is $5 for 0 - 3, then $8 for the older ages. Parents/adults are free.

The coffee is fantastic, made in mugs or regular cafe style coffee cups. Different sytles are available from flat white, through to lattes, teas including chai & hot choc.

There is also a variety of foods, from hot chips & wedges to fresh made baguettes with different fillings, a small selection of cakes, chocs & a cold drinks fridge.

The prices for the coffee & foods are not outrageous for what you get. The servings are generous really.

It is good to get DS to do something different from time to time.

Good luck with your venture.
Having to pay for a baby not walking or crawling is beyond a joke.lol Also why do adults have to pay more than kids sometimes.lol

Hope it works out for you. If you had a menu that had healty options at affordable prices. Than you will be inundated with people I would dare say.
I love having a great coffe( or several) but dont like to pay a fortune for a vegemite sandwich for the kids

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

there are two near us, one is filthy & has old scabby broken toys, on a few occasions ive had to go and get soembody to come and take something out of the babies/toddler area as its unsafe and ive also trotten on a cockroach there so we no longer go LOL but their entry is cheap and food is reasonable price unlike the other place it is over priced entry and cafe is exspensive and food isnt all that great for teh price and small portion but it is clean to a very high standard & the toys are allways new and different and moddern so we go there now
Yes, i hear you all. I feel the same, sometimes when i take my two: 3.yo dd1 and 1 and a half y.o dd2 and we spend $15 or $16 just to get in. The prices of cafe items are often pretty pricey. It's interesting to see that the dislikes are, all fairly obvious, one would think it would be easy enough to address these?!?! We go once a week usually, down here in rainy melbourne, it is a great option for our 8 months of cool, cold and/or wet weather!
Thank you all for your input

I take my 3 year old DS to our local indoor play centre about every 3 months. He loves it.

Dislikes would be that they have an area for 0-2 years and then the larger area is for 3-12 year olds. I sometimes worry coz my DS is playing in the larger area with kids that are 12 year old and pretty big (some of them) and some can be very rough and ready and aren't really on the lookout for little 3 year olds. So i would probably suggest 3 separate areas. Maybe a 0-2, then a 3-7 and then 8-12 years.

Our local centre offers a coupon to each adult (costs $4 entry) to get a free hot drink. So basically you are paying for your drink in the end but hey, it seems to entice people. I always buy something for DS to eat but to be honest he is too busy playing to think about food. He is more likely to have a drink. I don't think the prices charged at the Cafe are extravagant and after all, going to a play centre is a fun, "once-in-a-while" activity so surely you can afford to splurge a little bit when you go!?

I also like the idea of the party rooms. This is what my DS wants for his Birthday Party. Again, might be a bit costly but if you're a busy mum it sounds like the perfect idea to me!!
The only two things I don't like about them is the parents having to a an entry fee, parents should be free considering they can't play on the equipment grin

Also this "no outside food policy". Although I always bring our own food and have never been caught. If they have a problem I will ask for my money back.

Oh there is one other thing. At a few I have been to, there seems to be no one stopping the older kids playing in the baby/young toddler area. I found it a bit dangerous when DD was very young because the older ones are very rough.
I have 2 near me, one newer, bigger and obviously more expensive to get in, the other still good and cheaper to get in. I go to both every now and then.

I would suggest a better play area for the 0-3 year olds. As my 18month DD LOVES to get into the big kids area and go on the slides etc. The 0-3 year areas that we have are very basic, with a few large blocks, ball pit, small tunnel etc but nothing really good to keep them entertained in there. If they made them slightly bigger and maybe had a smaller version of what is available for the big kids I think ti would help to keep the right aged kids in the right areas.

As others have said BYO food is a good idea, as the food prices are sometimes outlandish. And paying for a baby that is not crawling/walking is ridiculous as they can't use any of the equipment.

Sign in to follow this topic