Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Does anyone know our rights?? Lock Rss

We're renting a house atm and our lease just ran out anyway we were told on thursday that the owners r selling the house, On saturday morning i got a phone call asking if they can bring people thru the house at lunch time and the same again on sunday, surely they have to give u more than a few hrs notice, i was really annoyed as we had plans and i felt as though i had to run around cleaning the house making sure it looked spotless. What r our rights?
Hi

I think they have to give you at least 24 hours notice.

A couple of hours is certainly not on. Ring the Tenancy Board in your state & explain the situation & get the legal stuff right from their mouths.

That way you know exactly where you stand & you can quote what you are told to the real estate agent.

Good luck hun.
Hi, we had similar situation so I called fair trade, you do not have to say yes, if it doesn't suit you you say no and arrange another day, I told the real estate best days times dates etc to suit me that way if they have someone interested they can refer to what your availabilities are
i did tell them that we had plans n saturday wasnt really a good day, but they made me feel bad by saying these people r up from sydney and all this crap, thats the only reason i ended up saying ok.
Yup, it's definately 24 hours. They can ring and ask with less notice, but you're totally within your rights to say no without worrying that you're not holding up your end of the deal.
Our lease states that they need to give us 7 days written notice to bring people through!

ETA: If they ring we are happy to do it sooner but we stick by the idea that we are well within our rights to say no if they want to do one too soon.
Thanx ladies im going to ring tenancy board and see what they say.Thats if i can find there number.

Thanx ladies im going to ring tenancy board and see what they say.Thats if i can find there number.

That's too bad for the people from Sydney! It's your home and they need to respect your privacy!
From what I knew, its 7 days written notice or 48 hours verbal notice under good grounds (not for an inspection etc)
we were reant a house that was for sale and tey had open homes once a month then every two weeks and then every week....

i also was pregnant and had another 5 year old and one day i came home from work the place was a mess and i knew it but had bad morning sickness but it shouldn't have mattered..... but while i was at work she had brought people through and not only that my son had left a deposit in the toilet that hadn't been flushed......!!! i was so angry

then the real estate agent rang the owners and said that the house was trashed....... then they wanted to come and see it..... argggghhhh it wasn't that bad but if they had of rung and given notice it would have been up to viewing standard within a hour..... ie dishwasher loaded..... toilet flushed and clean beds made etc......

when you are paying rent you are paying for the rights to live in the house providing you are not doing structural damage....... it shouldn't matter if someone has smeared tooth paste in the sink...... its not going to stain it....

you have the right to say no....... it doesn't suit.....

we were always saying ok to open homes etc but in the end it was them coming through while we were not home we gave notice and moved out...... it was too much stress trying to keep it spotless and up to view standard all the time kids do need to play...

We're renting a house atm and our lease just ran out anyway we were told on thursday that the owners r selling the house, On saturday morning i got a phone call asking if they can bring people thru the house at lunch time and the same again on sunday, surely they have to give u more than a few hrs notice, i was really annoyed as we had plans and i felt as though i had to run around cleaning the house making sure it looked spotless. What r our rights?

Hey Hun,

It has to be 7 DAYS NOTICE they have to give you no matter what! How are you going with the applications?? Have you found a house yet?? Well let me know how you go what area are you looking at?? Take care xx
Sign in to follow this topic