Huggies Forum

Feeling like a terrible mother Rss

A 2 year old not to touch the fake presents that are wrapped up under Christmas trees in stores??

I took DD to the post office yesterday, and I had an armload of things to post plus my purse/phone/keys etc. Of course DD sees the tree and lets go of my hand and runs straight to it and grabs a present from under it, I told her to put it back, which she did, and then she touched the tinsel that was hanging around a dump bin. The woman behind the counter got really miffed, and said "Please DON'T let her touch the tree" and then she sighed and said every kid who came in had done the same thing....I felt like the way she spoke to me was a bit rude, but felt bad that DD had touched. At the same time, I wondered how many kids would not touch, given the opportunity?? She also said that HER kids would never touch anything and were great kids, implying that mine was a brat. What do you think?? I'm a pretty relaxed parent, so long as she isn't breaking anything or rearranging the furniture I don't mind if she touches things (my own included), amd I too relaxed about this?
No, she's an idiot and clearly doesn't have any kids!
What kind of idiot puts and Christmas tree in a shop and expects kids not to touch it.

My 5yo was playing with the big baubles on the huge Christmas tree when we were lining up for Santa.

I thought you were going to tell how your daughter ran off with or opened one of the presents. Sounds to me like she was reasonably well behaved (compared to my kids at least!!)
Dont feel bad y kids would love to touch it as well. If they dont want kids to touch it then maybe they should put something around it.

Well that lady never takes her kids shopping lol
DD is actually really good at following our hands behind your back rule when looking at the shops DS on the other hand for get it lol he tries his best to get into everything

No, she's an idiot and clearly doesn't have any kids!

well said
pffft what a cow. of course a young child is going to want to touch a christmas tree if it is within reach! if they don't want people to touch it then they should put it somewhere out of reach!

Of course kids are going to touch the presents and tree & decorations etc... kinda like putting a bowl of lollies in front of them and expecting them not to touch them... AS IF grin grin grin

Of course kids are going to touch the presents and tree & decorations etc... kinda like putting a bowl of lollies in front of them and expecting them not to touch them... AS IF grin grin grin

Thanks everyone, feel better about it now! I did try and put the tinsel back the way it was but she came out from behind the counter and put it back the way she wanted, while telling me HER kids would never touch anything in shops....all the while I'm thinking, well goodie for you lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a bit unreasonable lol.
I have trouble restraining myself around lovely wraped presssies just waiting to be ripped open, I cant imagine how it must be for little ones lol!!!

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Of course DD sees the tree and lets go of my hand and runs straight to it and grabs a present from under it, I told her to put it back, which she did.

See to me (ok I left off the tinsel bit smile) this says a lot about your parenting and also your child's behaviour. You told her to put something back AND SHE DID! I know heaps of kids that would have ripped into that present/refused to put it back etc so the fact that she followed your instructions is, in my opinion, fantastic. As for the tinsel, you tried to put it back and its not your fault that it wasn't 'perfect' in the eyes of the silly woman behind the counter. If you put Christmas decorations up somewhere they can be reached by little hands, expect them to be touched.

Leisa.
Of course kids are going to touch the presents! And the tree! In fact, just about everything in the shop! Well, that is what my kids do! Of course I try to stop them, and if they take things off shelves I tell them to put it back, etc, but as an above poster said, the fact that your child listened to you speaks worlds about your parenting! Many parents would not have bothered to stop their child at all! And two year old children are very egocentric and don't understand that everything doesn't revolve around them - so if there is a christmas tree with presents in a store, then of course they think it is for them!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

I live in Sydney were you at St Marys post office cos there is a lady there who is like that always going on how her older kids were perfect and said to my son are you being good for mum i hope so,you should of said well if so many children touch it put it on the counter or get a smaller one some people are so rude and i bet her kids were to scared to touch anything.
Sign in to follow this topic