Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Oils aint Oils Rss

what kind of oil do you use at home for cooking day to day ??

I use Olive Oil day to day but me wise old mother (ahem .....said with tongue in cheek lol lol) recons that it changes chemical balance when it is heated and is not so good for you ....looked it up and with my limited google abilited seems she could be right (not that I am going to tell her that lol lol )

so i had a look at the shops and I found some rice bran oil ...gave it a go and it was good for frying things like crumbed chicken as it diddnt seem to soak up every 5 seconds ...I had just as much in the pan as i did when I started ...only it made the food stick like buggery and we ended up with just chook and no crumbs lol lol ...

I was sure canola oil is not that good for you but it is the best if your going to fry something ..I am a cereal griller so dont use it for things like sausages or steak or anything like that ...

found a blend of olive oil and canola oil and that was bloody fantastic but I havnt been able to find it since ..and plus ..I still have the problem of the olive oil changing chemically lol lol lol

what do you use ??? or do you have a cupboard full of diffrent oils for diffrent things ??

I think I just use light olive oil... or maybe canola oil. Whatever's cheapest and floats my boat at the time.. smile
Doesn't help much does it? lol

I think I use the canola spray oil stuff for when I'm cooking in the oven (like chips or pizza, pastry etc)

olive oil generally. but only use a bit at a time and not for deep frying.
plain ol' vege oil if i am deep frying or need more.

or do you have a cupboard full of diffrent oils for diffrent things ??

i am a terrible cook so if the recipe call for a specific oil then that is what i use.

for normal stuff i just use the olive oil for no particular reason at all or i use our spray canola oil again for no reason.

eta that i dont think i have ever deep fried or would know how to. we use our fry pan for most of our meat cooking just cos it is easier.
mmmmmm A conola spray ....never really thought of that one ... can you spray it in cake tins to or is that just a heart attack waiting to happen ?? lol lol lol

mmmmmm A conola spray ....never really thought of that one ... can you spray it in cake tins to or is that just a heart attack waiting to happen ?? lol lol lol

lol, probably. the only cakes i make are packet mix cup cakes. no oil needed just a 6 tablespoons of margarine. much more healthy lol.

lol, probably. the only cakes i make are packet mix cup cakes. no oil needed just a 6 tablespoons of margarine. much more healthy lol.

LMAO ....plus the egg ...dont forget the egg ...that is on the upper part of the food pyramid isnt it ??? lo lol lol

I use olive oil, don't remember the brand.

LMAO ....plus the egg ...dont forget the egg ...that is on the upper part of the food pyramid isnt it ??? lo lol lol

lmao. i use 2 eggs. that cancels the margarine right out.
Here I was thinking olive oil was "good fat" vs butter being "bad fat".

Anyway we use olive oil mostly for cooking all meats or stirfrys and for cakes (to grease the tins) I use the canola spray (which has the heart foundation tick). Sometimes I use the spray to cook veg in the fry pan.

We have moved away from using lots of marg to cook things like schnitzel and now might use olive oil and a tsp or two of marg as it gives a better flavour.

Also have a bottle of vegetable oil in the cupboard which also has the heart foundation tick.

So what bad things stem from the chemical change when heating olive oil?

Here I was thinking olive oil was "good fat" vs butter being "bad fat".

basically I think fat that solidifys when cold (like butter and fat from meat) is considered the really bad, and fat that stays a liquid in cold is considered the not so bad
we use macadamia oil, its expensive however awesome and really good for you.. a little goes a LONG WAY

Sign in to follow this topic