Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Kindergarden compulsory??????? Lock Rss

Hi someone told me that kindergarden was now compulsory from next year. Does any1 know if this is correct??? I live in QLD! TIA
Kindergarden as in primary school? The year before yr1? It already is compulsory.
No not prep (pre-school), but kindy when i was younger we use to do kindergarden and then preschool then grade 1. So do they just do prep now or kindy also???
I am in Victoria, and as far as I know, Kindergarten is compulsory, then kids go on to primary school in prep, grade 1, etc. I don't know what other states do though!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

In NSW it goes:

Pre-school is the year before school and is technically not compulsary but a Principal can stop your child from starting school if they deem your child who has not been for 2 or 3 days a week will not cope with "big school" for a few reasons, such as spending time away from home, social skills, ability to write their name & know the alphabet and simply open a lunchbox and go to the loo alone.

Kindergarten is the first year of "Big school" and is compulsary.

This is followed by Year 1,2 etc.

Basically what ever your state calls it, the year before is NOT compulsary but, you need to make sure your child is ready by their local schools standards.

They need to be n school by the year they turn 6.
I heard that they were making places available so that all children could attend kindergarten. As at the moment only 30% attend. I don't think they were implying that it is compulsory.

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

not yet.
Prep is not even compulsory yet is it??

but i have heard that the government is fixing up the kindergarten situation over the next few years as it's woefully inadequate.

but even then i have not heard of it being compulsory.

I am in Victoria, and as far as I know, Kindergarten is compulsory, then kids go on to primary school in prep, grade 1, etc. I don't know what other states do though!

I am in VIC and kinder is NOT compulsory smile
I know of a few whose kids did not go to kinder but still started prep, no problems.... when I was working at the kindergarten I was told the same
It appears that I have been wrongly informed...he he! Thanks for letting me know! I think I might have actually assumed it was! I do like sending my kids there though, I feel they definitely benefit from it!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

In NSW it goes:

Pre-school is the year before school and is technically not compulsary but a Principal can stop your child from starting school if they deem your child who has not been for 2 or 3 days a week will not cope with "big school" for a few reasons, such as spending time away from home, social skills, ability to write their name & know the alphabet and simply open a lunchbox and go to the loo alone.

Kindergarten is the first year of "Big school" and is compulsary.

This is followed by Year 1,2 etc.

Basically what ever your state calls it, the year before is NOT compulsary but, you need to make sure your child is ready by their local schools standards.

They need to be n school by the year they turn 6.

I am pretty sure a principal would not turn away a student, you go to school to learn all those thing except for going to the toilet. In NSW is totally the parents choice if their child goes to pre school and it won't effect if you get into primary school

Hi someone told me that kindergarden was now compulsory from next year. Does any1 know if this is correct??? I live in QLD! TIA

As far as I am aware pre-school (also known as kinder in Vic) is not compulsory but the first year of primary schooling is (Prep/kinder depending on which state you are in). Speaking from a Prep teachers point of view, children who don't attend pre-school/kinder are usually at a disadvantage (not always but often). But thats a different topic altogether smile
My DD#2's birthday is the end of november. Is it 'legal' for her to hold off big school a year and not go until the year she is 6 and 2mths as apposed to starting at 5 and 2mths??
Sign in to follow this topic