Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

What breed of dog do you have? Lock Rss

Hi ladies,

Looking for opinions on good dogs for kids. DS is 3 and DD is 1. We really want to get a dog, looked at the rspca today and they had a bullmastiff cross DH and DS are in love, googled it and it does say good for families. But I'm not so sure. So what dog do you have or would get if you were looking??? TIA

We have a Miniature Dachshund! He has been pretty good with DS so far, putting up with him pulling his ears etc! Doesn't need too much exercise so if you miss a walk it doesn't matter. However the dog gets much more attention than the baby when we are out - everyone loves a sausage dog smile However I think if you google it, it doesn't say the greatest things about dachshunds and kids but I reckon if the dog grows up with the kids it will be fine! Maybe you should consider a puppy? Hard work training but then you know what kind of upbringing it has had. Good luck with whatever breed of doggy you end up getting! smile

We have 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They are consistently listed as the best breed to have with children and I couldn't agree more. Our 2 put up with a lot from our 3.5 year old and his little friends. You can pull their tales, ears, play with their food and they just sit there and tolerate it. If they've had too much then they will get up and leave. They've never snapped in the 7 & 8 years we've had them.

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

we have 2 rescue dogs and not 100% sure what they are.

one is a red cattle x and the other looks like a pittbull but we have since found another dog that looks IDENTICAL to him and he is a bull mastiff x ridgeback. so now we think thats probably what he is because he is the most gentle dog we've ever known and doesnt have any characteristics of a pittbull.

both our dogs are fantastic with our DD and i have no concerns (although i have always been vigilant about supervision and my DD knows to respect the dogs and does not pull them or try to ride them or anything like that)

bull mastiffs are great dogs and we hope to get one when our beloved fur babies pass away.

And good on you for looking at the rspca!!!! there are so many lovely dogs that are there. our 2 have been the best dogs we could hope grin
We have a chihuahua, They are known to be less tolerant of kids and tend to attach to one person more than others, so not entirely what id call an "ideal"family pet, but if the dog grows up with kids (like in my case- our dog is 7 yo, ds is nearly 2) they would proberly get along well.

A staffishire bull terrior are really good family pets, really loyal and love cuddles, very gental breed. They are a mid sized dog so not too big so dont require LOADS of excercise and less expensive to feed.

Good luck with your search smile

sorry double

we have 2 rescue dogs and not 100% sure what they are.

one is a red cattle x and the other looks like a pittbull but we have since found another dog that looks IDENTICAL to him and he is a bull mastiff x ridgeback. so now we think thats probably what he is because he is the most gentle dog we've ever known and doesnt have any characteristics of a pittbull.

I had a Ridgeback as a child, she was the most beatiful dog ever! i still think of her all the time, very smart and very protective of us kids as well as being very gentle. Another great family dog! smile

The dog we looked at is 4 months old. They also had a couple same breed that were 2 months old. It was the first time going to the rspca, can i say it wasn't what i expected. Although i'm not quite sure what i was expecting. They were all puppies, no older dogs at all. I do agree aswell that them being brought up with the kids is good. I think my main concern with getting the bull mastiff is the size, especially with DD being 1. The others were cross great dane.

I grew up with a pedigree dobermann from the age 3 months, pup was 2 months.

I've grown up around large breeds & not one had ever been an issue.

My DH has kelpie x blue heeler, had her before we met & she is an almost 13 year old grumpy, nasty thing & I worry every time DS goes outside. She has apparently been like that since birth!

The other dog is a 2 year old staffy x with who knows what. We got her when DS was about 6 months, she was 2 months & they've grown up together so far. She is the most adorable, soft centered creature & so tolerant of DS & his draping himself over her for a cuddle. They walk around the back yard together & are the best of mates.

But, I still would not trust her or DS for that matter 100%. You just never know.

She was a rescue dog along with her 7 siblings.

A friend had a pedigree blue heeler & although he was very dominant, was amazing with her babies & also as they grew.

A lot is teaching the kids how to respect the dogs.

It will also depend on your room, as in back yard or whether you want an inside dog too.

Food & vet bills are also something to consider.

All the best. It is such a great addition to the family.

The dog we looked at is 4 months old. They also had a couple same breed that were 2 months old. It was the first time going to the rspca, can i say it wasn't what i expected. Although i'm not quite sure what i was expecting. They were all puppies, no older dogs at all. I do agree aswell that them being brought up with the kids is good. I think my main concern with getting the bull mastiff is the size, especially with DD being 1. The others were cross great dane.

I had a friend who worked in adoptions at the RSPCA, not quite pick a dog and take it home kinda of thing- i think you go on a list of preferances and i think the adoption officer will asses whether a certain breed/dog will work well in your family.
Im guessing this is similar to what you had to do?

I've had two dobermanns and the first died before we had kids but the 2nd is still here, almost 13 years old now and very good with all three kids aged 1 yr to 4 years old, except he sometimes steals their food if they leave it lying around smile
I think any breed can be good with kids as long as they are raised the right way and the kids are taught to be kind and gentle.

I had a friend who worked in adoptions at the RSPCA, not quite pick a dog and take it home kinda of thing- i think you go on a list of preferances and i think the adoption officer will asses whether a certain breed/dog will work well in your family.
Im guessing this is similar to what you had to do?

We just went and had a look today. I just asked the lady if she thought they are a good breed for a family and she said about training them. I wanted to come home and do some research and make sure that it was something that we definately wanted. I told DH if he's still there when we make up our mind then it is ment to be. I had a look on the rspca website and saw that they sometimes go to the home and do checks. I know that having a dog is a long commitment so I want to make sure that i have done all the research and wanted to get some other opinions

Sign in to follow this topic