Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

What breed of dog do you have? Lock Rss

I've known more small dogs who are agressive than big dogs. As someone else has said, it's because smaller dogs tend to get away with a lot more, which is why it doesn't matter what size they are, train them from a young age.
We have two spoodles, cockerspaniel x poodle. One is red the other black. They are both big sooks and wonderful with the kids. Very easy to train, don't poop much or loose hair. smile
We did lots of research to find the perfect dog for us..
Ended up with a Border Terrier - they are a small/medium size, dont shed hair, rarely bark, great with kids & dont need to have a stack of exercise.
We are in NSW & there are not may breeders around so we had to have him flown in from SA.

We aheva blue heller cross with whit it!! His beautiful and we adore him!! His full and only a puppy still we got him from Cara http://www.companionrescue.org.au/ They are wonderful!! He was going to be put down the day the ladies turned up to pick him up!! And now his the children's fav. My daughter is only 12 mths and was 6 mths when we got him and just adores him so much!!

I hate KCHS growing and up adn they are the most gorgeous breeds aslo!!
Thankyou for all of the replies, it has definately helped me to look at other breeds aswell. Thankyou for the info on the labs, I've always wanted to get one but wasn't aware of the 2 different sorts.
We have a big backyard so i'm not worried bout that, just the size of the dog lol. Also worried bout the amount of food that we are going to be buying. Still not 100% on my decision yet, have a couple more days to think about it. Don't want to upset DH or DS with my decision as I know it is one we will have to live with. DS has been talking about the dog ever since we went there

Thankyou for all of the replies, it has definately helped me to look at other breeds aswell. Thankyou for the info on the labs, I've always wanted to get one but wasn't aware of the 2 different sorts.
We have a big backyard so i'm not worried bout that, just the size of the dog lol. Also worried bout the amount of food that we are going to be buying. Still not 100% on my decision yet, have a couple more days to think about it. Don't want to upset DH or DS with my decision as I know it is one we will have to live with. DS has been talking about the dog ever since we went there

We used to have Bull Mastiff cross Ridgeback, he was the most gentle beautiful narures dog ever. Word of warning if you get a BM though, you will pay a lot for food, and if he ever needs an op your anaesthetic bills will be huge as proportion wise, they are a big breed. We had troubles with his floppy ears and flies bothering him in summer too, and he used to get things inside them quite often (grass seeds, burrs) and they'd need syringing out. He also DROOLED everywhere, you couldn't go outside in good clothes or they'd have snail trails all over, and his poos were like an elephants. But his nature made up for it all. We had to give him away when DH was put off work for 4 months, we just couldn't afford to feed him, it was the saddest day and we still talk about him 8.5 years on.

We now have a pug, he is just the best family dog ever! He is small enough to come everywhere with us, he spends his days sleeping at our feet and loves cuddles. There is just no aggression in this breed whatsoever. He doesn't bark or yap, his poo is like little jelly beans (we are still working on house training) but he is perfect for the kids, and he comes on holidays, in the boat, in the car, walks, everywhere. I would highly recommend as a family pet! Down sides are that he does shed alot but I keep up the vacuuming and make sure he gets combed out regularly. They are also a bit delicate and sensitive to heat and cold, so need to be an indoors pet.

Good luck deciding, we also did lots of homework before deciding on a pug, and he suits us and our lifestyle perfectly grin
We have a Boxer!!! He is fantastic... he is like a big brother to our nearly 4 year old DS (who is an only child). For a big dog our Boxer, Tyson is very gentle and looks out for our DS 100%. Tyson plays in the street with all of the neighbourhood kids and none of them are afraid of him. He is sooooo well behaved (thanks to DH) he comes when called, will sit on command and not move - even if another dog walks past and is within inches of him. My DS loves to play with him, only yesterday they were lined up on the footpath and my DS said to him "ready, set, go" and they both took off and had a running race...hilarious!!! Oh, and Happy Birthday Tyson, he turns 8 on Wednesday!!

i know heaps of small dogs that are aggressive and i know heaps of individual dogs that are aggressive outside of their usual breed characteristics. i dont think that one aggressive dog accurately portrays the breed as a whole.

to me, its how the dog is raised that determines its temperment. all dogs have the ability to be vicious. as PP said, her chihuahua has bitten and hurt her child in the past but because its a small dog its accepted as okay and there is no uproar. but if it were a bigger dog, the consequences would be much more serious and the dog would be destroyed.

Hi
I use to think it was the way the dog was raised too. But its not. Our dog was was raised in a loving home. He had a great temperment and one day snapped out of the blue.

And dont think she meant that she meant it is accepted if a chihuahua bites, its just that if (whoever) had a dog and for some reason it bit a child it would be in regard to the extent of the injury lesser by a tiny dog than larger breed. When my daughter was attacked it was by a mastiff and it was her face that was injured, if it had been a chihuahua out back instead he would not have reached her face as she was walking into the house.
Sign in to follow this topic