Huggies Forum

still doesnt know colours Lock Rss

my dd is 2 and a half and still doesnt know her colours. she knows the names of them and can say them all, but when u ask her what colour is this? or can u get me the "insert colour here" pencil? she doesnt know which colour it is. she just says/grabs every colour till she gets it right.
i have tried focussing on just one colour for a few weeks pointing our everything thats pink, or everything yellow, and still nothing. im strating to get really worried like maybe she is colour blind, but dont know how to test for it? she is terrible with doctors just screams the entire time so its hard to have a conversation with them over her screaming.
does/did your child know their colours buy 2 and a half? ds knew his by 14months old.
she recognises numbers 1-5 and can count to 10, and recognises a few letters (a,b,c,k,x,z) and knows k for keeley, a for apple.

DS2 was almost 3 and 1/2 before he could get the colours right. I asked my optomitrist if he could be colour blind and he said not to worry until 4.

my dd is 2 and a half and still doesnt know her colours. she knows the names of them and can say them all, but when u ask her what colour is this? or can u get me the "insert colour here" pencil? she doesnt know which colour it is. she just says/grabs every colour till she gets it right.
i have tried focussing on just one colour for a few weeks pointing our everything thats pink, or everything yellow, and still nothing. im strating to get really worried like maybe she is colour blind, but dont know how to test for it? she is terrible with doctors just screams the entire time so its hard to have a conversation with them over her screaming.
does/did your child know their colours buy 2 and a half? ds knew his by 14months old.
she recognises numbers 1-5 and can count to 10, and recognises a few letters (a,b,c,k,x,z) and knows k for keeley, a for apple.

Hi

Just so you know, girls can not be colour blind. Its a genetic trait that only males get. Females can carry and pass on the gene, but do not actually become colour-blind.
Lissi Abbie was 2 in August, and she has no idea either. She can only say red (ded) blue (boo) green (deen) yellow (lello) and black (she can say that one lol), and she will just guess til she gets it right. I noticed at child care the other day that alot of the 3 yr olds couldn't name the colours either, so I wouldn't stress smile

ETA AWESOME sig! What a great pic!
I wouldnt worry too much, my DS1 hardly spoke until he was 2.5 let alone know his colours, Keep practicing with her but dont worry about it until you have to, all kids develop at their own rate.

DD barely spoke until a few months ago and she has just turned 3. We are working on colours and numbers now. So far we are up to 3 she is hit and miss after. She can recognize a few colours blue, green and white but still a bit hit and miss. A game we play is while we are walking down the street naming the car colours. Don't stress all children are different.
Mia will be 2yrs & 6months on Xmas Eve and has no idea i wouldnt stress it, i dont think they learn colours until 3/4
she prob a little young to know her colours she may only know one or two colours then do it herself rather than you pushing it down her.... she will know the basic by the time she get to school.

DS2 was almost 3 and 1/2 before he could get the colours right. I asked my optomitrist if he could be colour blind and he said not to worry until 4.

oh wow 4 ok thanks

Hi

Just so you know, girls can not be colour blind. Its a genetic trait that only males get. Females can carry and pass on the gene, but do not actually become colour-blind.

i thought it was only more common in boys and rare in girls but not that girls COULDNT be colour blind?

Lissi Abbie was 2 in August, and she has no idea either. She can only say red (ded) blue (boo) green (deen) yellow (lello) and black (she can say that one lol), and she will just guess til she gets it right. I noticed at child care the other day that alot of the 3 yr olds couldn't name the colours either, so I wouldn't stress smile

ETA AWESOME sig! What a great pic!

aww kool keeley was 2 i august too, so not quite 2and a half but almost.kee has been talking full on since 14months. maybe she started talking too soon and none of her other things have develloped just the talking part of her brain lol. when i worked i preschool doing the tests for the reports most kids knew colours by 3, if not all of them they could at least pick one up if u said pass me the red, blue, yellow, etc.

thanks about the sig...only took 30 pics to get it haha totaly worth it tho, (just glad i have a digital camera, and didnt have to devellop 2 rolls of film to get it haha)

I wouldnt worry too much, my DS1 hardly spoke until he was 2.5 let alone know his colours, Keep practicing with her but dont worry about it until you have to, all kids develop at their own rate.

thanks ill try not to worry abut it now

Hi

Actually this is incorrect it is just a much higher percentage of males are colour blind compared to females....about 8% of males and 0.5% of females are colour blind to some degree. The effected genes are in the X chromosone and because because females have 2 X chromosones the defective gene can be over written with the other X chromosone...that is unless both parents pass on an effected X chromosone.

Lissi dont stress kids often dont distinguish colours till after they are 3yrs old, Just keep doing what your doing labelling all the colours around you see if she will repeat the colours with you...she will get there

Cheers Ness

Actually this is incorrect it is just a much higher percentage of males are colour blind compared to females....about 8% of males and 0.5% of females are colour blind to some degree. The effected genes are in the X chromosone and because because females have 2 X chromosones the defective gene can be over written with the other X chromosone...that is unless both parents pass on an effected X chromosone.

Lissi dont stress kids often dont distinguish colours till after they are 3yrs old, Just keep doing what your doing labelling all the colours around you see if she will repeat the colours with you...she will get there

Cheers Ness

thats what i thought too.
thanks ness

Sign in to follow this topic