Huggies Forum

What is in your vege garden? Rss

Today my DP and I made a vege garden.
We had decided that if we got any $ for xmas from our parents that we would use it to make a vege garden.
We did - so we did!
It is not massive -150cm square.
We made a wooden box about 30cm high put down newspaper then 3 bags of compost and 5 bags of vege mix soil mixed together!
can't wait to go shopping tomorrow and buy some veges to plant..
What do you have growing in your vege garden??
Corn, lettuces(2 different types of Cos), tomatoes, broccoli, strawberries, cucumber, and an apple tree and an orange tree. All coming along nicely! smile

6 tomato plants that are going great guns - plenty of tomatoes on there and they are just starting to ripen.
Capsicum
Chillis
Mint, Coriander, basil and other herbs.
Enough potato plants to feed the entire street....but this is to prepare that part of the yard for a bigger vegie patch next year.

Good luck, it is great fun. I'm planting some watermelon tomorrow. I might be a bit late in the season for it but I'll give it a go.
We've got mostly weeds.
And some strawberries, oregano, parsley, sage, potatoes and tomatoes.
They all take care of themselves thank goodness because the closer I get to them, the more likely they are to die!
Lol...okay big breath...i have
7 tomato plants (different kinds)
5 capsicum
1 heirloom capsicum
3 chillies
Potatoes
Corn
Swede
Borlotti Beans
Silverbeet
Rainbow Silverbeet
Baby Spinach
Corn
Snow peas
Beans
Basil
Sage
Thyme
Mint
White Current
Pink Lady Apple
Fugi Apple
Nashi Pear
Cherry
Nectarine
Strawberries
Raspberry
Macadamia Nut

And added today
Peppino Gold and
Banana Tree

smile i love my garden

We dont have too much this year.

Heaps of tomatoes, wanting to make pasta sauce
Lettuce
Strawberrys
Spinach
potatoes
rosemary
basil
parsley
Hey we have a vege garden - I don't really "do" the gardening, just the eating LOL if you know what I mean - thats DH's domain... HOWEVER - he does manage to drive me NUTS with all the things he grows from seed or offcuts - like - garlic cloves that have sprouted before I've used them, the root end of the eschallots (spring onions depending where you are from). anything that comes with the roots/seeds in or on can be chopped off/cleaned up and shot in a little bit of soil and water.

Also go to a tyre shop and ask for a few old tyres and plant potatoes that have sprouted (or you can buy seed potatoes from the produce shop for quite cheap). AND if you buy seeds, keep your empty toilet rolls and plant them in that till they shoot and are big and strong then plant the whole thing in the garden - the cardboard will protect the young plant then break down and compost into food for it!!!

AND I would actually go to a produce shop to get my seeds/seedlings they are usually quite a lot cheaper than nurseries/bunnings etc and get whatever you can from the supermarket - if you like lentils and beans get a packet of dried ones and then soak them and they will sprout then do the toilet roll thing - You'll get MASSIVE amounts of produce from each packet - just gotta think outside the square.

[img]

Also go to a tyre shop and ask for a few old tyres and plant potatoes that have sprouted (or you can buy seed potatoes from the produce shop for quite cheap).

We use tyres (df is a mechanic) and our current crop is 6 tyres hire at the moment smile

We've got a few different tomatoes, corn, capsicums, cucumbers, beans, snow peas, yellow zucchinis/squashes, different types of lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, plus herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, sage, chives, rosemary, parsley, marjoram, mint) - i thinks that's it!!
I don't have a vege garden I can hardly keep a cactus alive laugh
Dad and dp are both greenthumbs so they have a pretty pumping garden. I think it has radishes (my dads pride and joy) cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, capsicums, silverbeet, strawberries, blackberries. They've turned it into a fortress no snail can enter cool
Hi,
We have two smallish raised beds with trellis up the back of each. In the first one we have peas up the trellis, silverbeet, and lettuce. In the second we have runner beans up the trellis, carrots, beetroot and strawberries. I also have six tomatoe plants in two pots.

Our garden is just a little 'hobby' garden as our backyard is relatively small.

Fiona.

all the things he grows from seed or offcuts - like - garlic cloves that have sprouted before I've used them, the root end of the eschallots (spring onions depending where you are from). anything that comes with the roots/seeds in or on can be chopped off/cleaned up and shot in a little bit of soil and water.

Thanks I didn't think of doing that!
Sign in to follow this topic