Huggies Forum

What is in your vege garden? Rss

Banana Tree

My girls asked if we could grow bananas. -I didn't think it was possible?!

My girls asked if we could grow bananas. -I didn't think it was possible?!

Neither did i!....i live in victoria and i thought you could only grow them in queensland....lol...however my local bunnings store is selling what they call "cool banana's" they had 3 different varieties at this store and i got a red dwarf one...it only grow to 2 metres...you have to put it in the warmest place. preferably up agaist a north facing wall (for the heat when the sun goes down) and protect it from frost in the winter.

They were also selling mango trees smile thats next on the list...lol...

I love vegies and fruit from the garden. We have carrots, tomatoes, corn, strawberries, capsicans, beans, snow peas, baby spinich, chives, spring onions, chilli, shallots, passionfruit, mint and in the orchid theres apples, plums, figs, cherrys, tangelos, some nuts, apples, oranges, lemons, limes, and I am sure i've messed a few.
In my gardens at the moment I have....

Aviary garden- tomatoes (cherry & Beefsteak), capsicum, Purple King climbing beans running up one side of the aviary behind tomatoes and chokoes covering the rest of the front and roof over into the chook-pen behind...I currently have chokoes hanging out the you-know-what with at least another 20 to pull off tomorrow!! And there's heaps more coming!! Choko pickles anyone??? LOL

1st raised bed - beetroot, spring onions and potatoes going mad from all the rain. There's also 2 polysteryne boxes on the ground in front of the fence with trellis above them for my lebanese cucumbers.

2nd raised bed - laying fallow at the moment as we're in the process of adding new compost, manure etc....give it another month and it'll be ready to go again. There's also 2 polysteryne boxes on the ground in front of the fence with trellis above them for my peas.

I want to get some fruit trees to go in the aviary garden and some large tubs but haven't found what I want yet LOL...I'm also going to have a go at growing water chestnuts when the corms come back into season. I've got a new pond garden under construction (broke ground today!!yippee) so I can grow them in that or one of the other water gardens.

3rd raised bed - pineapple, strawberries and lettuce.

Nothing tastes better than veges straight from the garden!! Yummmmmmmmmm

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

atm some over ripe tomatoes and weeds lol

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I also use to plant some domestic legumes as tomatoes, carrot, cucumber and over greenery. In my back yard, I have a small tent that protects all my harvest and ensure the perfect environment for achieving the fast growth of plants. Here
sustainableplanet.ca you can find the top 5 best tents for your small garden and read more about all ways how to use and install tents.
Heyyy smile
Sign in to follow this topic