Huggies Forum

  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Enrolled nurse vs Registered nurse

Enrolled nurse vs Registered nurse Lock Rss

I have been thinking for a while about studying nursing. I was wondering if anyone could please tell me the difference between an enrolled nurse and a registered nurse?

I know that an EN works under an RN but I am unsure what an EN's limitations are?


Jo smile
My sister is a nurse and from what I know they are slowly going to eliminate "registered" nurses and everyone will become enrolled nurses but I could be wrong, there isnt much difference anymore, my sis was a Div 2 and then did her medications course now she pretty much does the same work as a div 1, she is now called an enrolled nurse.... did that all make sense, I hope I'm right but maybe do some more research..
RN's give meds and will generally be in charge of a ward - although it's now more of a team effort now and not so much about who's in charge (although some of the older nurses still make sure everyone knows who's in charge).

The EN's tend to do a lot more personal care work due to the fact that the RN is tending to med rounds. The EN's with the diploma can also give meds but don't give the DDA's (drugs of addiction) or the IV meds, so again - will tend to do more of the showering, dressing and feeding.

Depends where you are working though... the above description is probably applicable to the ward that I work on - however sometimes they have EN's in Emerg or on the surgical ward so their work will vary. You will however find that it comes down to medications and in-charge.

The RN is directly responsible for the actions of each person under him/her - which is why it's important that there's good communication and team work so that everybody is aware of what the next person is doing. The RN also has a higher pay rate.

Hope that helps... I've just finished my RN's so looking forward to getting a little more experience in my new role.

While I'm at it.... if you choose to study to be an RN - you can work in hospitals as an Assistant in Nursing after your first year of study. This is what I did and it was invaluable for experience and piecing together what you'd already learnt. The money is quite good too - equivalent to what the EN's are getting paid.

Acruz... If anything they will eliminate EN's and hire personal carers instead as they are cheaper to employ. That way nursing staff will only have to deal with direct medical care which will include medications. If the whole hospital are EN's they wont be able to give DDA's or IV meds.

My sister is a nurse and from what I know they are slowly going to eliminate "registered" nurses and everyone will become enrolled nurses but I could be wrong, there isnt much difference anymore, my sis was a Div 2 and then did her medications course now she pretty much does the same work as a div 1, she is now called an enrolled nurse.... did that all make sense, I hope I'm right but maybe do some more research..

From what I understood it was the other way around and it was the enrolled nurses that were slowly getting phased out. I'm not too sure what the difference in the roles are but where I am registered nurses are more sought after and can find jobs far easier. Another role as a nurse after becoming a registered nurse there is some post graduate study that can be undertaken that allows you to prescribe some medications (can't remember the title for this) but if you were wanting to work in the community rather then hospital I was told this role is going to become increasingly popular. All of this is just from what I was told doing 1st year study to become a registered nurse just over a year back.
An enrolled nurse is a division two nurse. Someone who has done a tafe certificate. Some if they have done further study (or are recently trained) can give out some medications. They can work in Hospitals, nursing homes community nursing etc.

A registered nurse is a division one nurse. Someone who has done an undergraduate uni course (although they have started bringing in some at diploma level blink They can work anywhere.... the specialtys are endless.

Oh for me personally since upgrading from a div 2 to a div 1 I am about $17 better off an hour! plus I have specialised so am no longer working in the lower paid aged care industry.

HTH any more q's just ask smile

To be an RN you have to finish a 3 year university degree. To be an EN you do an 18 month course at TAFE - they've recently changed the course (at least in SA) so you end up with a diploma as opposed to certificate IV in health. The main differences are that as an EN you can't give intravenous medications (ENs with advanced diploma and additional courses can do some IV meds e.g. antibiotics). ENs who haven't done their diploma can't give medications (but this probably depends on which state you're in). There are also some clinical limitations - e.g. ENs can't look after ventilated patients in ICU. It really depends what area you work in - as you can do additional courses and eventually end up doing the same things as an RN. Your depth of knowledge will be different though as a TAFE course doesn't have as much anatomy/physiology/pharmacology.
You have more options as an RN - you can become a clinical nurse, a nurse practitioner, or go into management. And you earn more.
Many nurses do their EN course and then become RNs - you get credit for some subjects at uni and you can work part time as an EN and gain experience.
Thank you all for your help smile

Chalys, what is the workload like? I have 3 children - hopefully one will be at 3yr old kinder, one will be at 4yr old kinder and one will be at school and I also work 3 nights a week. I am worried that I wont have enough time to study. Also generally how long are the placements? Sorry for all q's smile

Working 3 nights/week you can probably still study full time. The workload is pretty full on though. If you're doing a degree you can study part time (will take you 6 years though). Not sure if you have that option at TAFE. Placement length depends on which uni you go to. Some do blocks of 4-6 weeks (final placement is the longest), others you work 2-3 day/week, and with some you work 2-3 days AND do block placements.
hope this bit of info helps.
I'm a EEN (endorsed enrolled nurse) and i currently work in aged care. i studied at tafe for 12 months (although most are 18months). I can give pretty much any oral medications, however i cant give IV meds or hook a IV line up (you can do a extra course to do this). Often when the RN on shift is busy i get given the keys and if anyone needs a dangerous drug (S8 drug, like morphine) then as along as i have someone else with me i can give it (you need 2 ppl anyway to give a S8 drug). If you need to give anyone something that isnt their regular medication then you have to ask the RN in charge. I dont really do much of the personal hygiene stuff unless the others are busy and i feel like helping out. Most of my job is medications and paperwork (assessments and what not). Im starting UNI in feb to do my RN's and its only gonna take 2yrs full time (well longer for my cause i will do 6months then defer for a yr to have bubs).
Hope this helps a lil
Kay. xoxo
Can't tell you about placements for EN's as I didn't do that course...

but with UniSA there wasn't a placement until the end of second year - that was a 4 week placement in a nursing home. Then in my third year I had two 8 week blocks to do. Honestly I thought I wouldn't be able to do the 8 week ones... it's SUCH a long time - however I just had to refuse to think about it until it came up, and then dealt with it one week at a time. I wont say it's not hard work - it is, you have to be emotionally tough about it. Second year is the hardest in terms of study workload, the first year is difficult in that you have to get your head around stuff that is fairly complex when you've never had to think about it before. Second year seems less complex and more demanding in that there are a lot of assignments and exams to get through. Third year was a breeze!

Each uni has a different curriculum... I know that Flinders Uni and Charles Darwin uni have short placements all the way through the course so you'd have to do a bit of research.

But I'd encourage you to do it... you can study externally like I did which makes it easier when you have kids. If you don't apply because you're worried about the workload you'll probably always wish you did or wonder where you would be if you had've applied when you'd considered it. The time goes quite fast - once it's over you can't believe it's finished!
You can always give it a go... and if it get's too much you can go part time for a while or defer for 6 or 12 months and pick it up again later.

I know I should jump in and do it, It's just taking the leap that is the hard part! I am leaning towards being an RN I think. Did you enter uni as a mature aged student? If so, did you have to do any tests to be accepted?
Sorry for all the q's. I promise these will be the last ones (unless I enrol - then I may hound you and you will wish you had never replied to this thread lol )

Jo smile
Sign in to follow this topic