Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. What work did you do before kids.....

What work did you do before kids..... Lock Rss

For those who have returned to work.... are you doing what you did pre kids, or have you changed??

Pre kids I worked in lending, I would assess loans and recommend for approval, cash advances etc....

When I had DS I studied Child care..... then I worked off and on at our local centre til I had DD1, then I didn't work at all til DS passed away, I applied for jobs in finance and in the meantime I was offered work at a local bush restaurant until I found something else......
12mths on i LOVE what I do, never thought I would and won't be looking for other work now til the kids are at school, I spend my days/nights, cooking, dishes, bar work, serving, clearing etc......
I am a Pharmacy Assistant/Dispensary Technician it is the only proper job I have had since I started working at 15.

I have returned to work twice (once after each DS1) the last job I had (couple months ago) I was getting WAY too many hours for example I worked everyday two weeks straight most days being 9-5 with some later finishes so I had to quit as I had mentioned the amount of hours was way too much but nothing was changing! I am about to apply for another position in Pharmacy but just packing websters it's only part time so should suit us better smile

I wouldn't mind studying something else but I'm hopeless and have no idea what- think I'll just stay in Pharmacy my whole life lol I love it!

ETA- I've worked at the markets when I was in school and had worked part time at a kebab shop with a friend just for fun lol
Pre baby I was a restuarant manager, loved it and still miss that job but find it impossible to do with DD now in my life. I did a 12 week contract finalising events and closing down a restuarant when DD was 2 and it was so hard organising babysitting etc.
NOw Im at uni studying Education, a lot more family friendly and I love it.

Nothing much really i was folding papers once a week before DD did that on and off until i had DS. I now do homecare catalogues it's ok and im losing weight. Have to start putting them back out again this week. I do want to get back into work or study when DD is in school and DS is in kindy.
IT Support Manager for a Government department.
I was full time before DS and then part time when I returned after he was 1.
My return to work date is now looming after DD, and I am not looking forward to it.
We barely managed mentally, emotionally and physically when I returned to work 3 days a week last time, and that was with just one kid!
But it is good money and I have managed to have two children with a year off being paid each time, so I cannot really complain.

Sometimes tho, I wonder what it would be like to go and work as a barista in the local Michels Patisserie LOL, DH recons I wouldn't last a week grin

His Royal Highness, Prince William

I was just doing boring Admin, although i did love my job. Luckily DP earns enough for me to stay home with DD. Also lots of things have changed at work that im not happy with so i will be extending my maternity leave for another year and see how things are next year!
hairdresser n still doing it although i love it feel like a change
before kids i worked as a chef. i worked up until the week before i ahd my first . then i went into retail . cooking is my passion but the hours arnt suitable . although now i work every weekend and we haev no family time . the time we do we argue . its really taking a strain on us. i pay most of it out in daycare and atm we are living in boxes waiting for teh vendors to get paperwork to mive. we are totally stressed and there is days io feel like throwing it all in . idealy i would study but we cant pay daycare and not have me work and just study .

I was an office manager in the disability sector. I loved my job and went back casual (into a different position) while I was still on maternity leave. Unfortunately we had to move interstate so I never returned to my normal job from maternity leave.

I really struggled to find suitable part-time work after we moved, living out in the sticks and having to travel at least an hour each way. Most of the part-time jobs were 3 hours a day/5 days a week. Financially it just wasn't worth it. So I started my own ebay business which has worked out really well, I can control (to an extent) how much I earn and I can move the business with me. DH is in the defence force, so moving is a given.

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

I was an office manager in the disability sector. I loved my job and went back casual (into a different position) while I was still on maternity leave. Unfortunately we had to move interstate so I never returned to my normal job from maternity leave.

I really struggled to find suitable part-time work after we moved, living out in the sticks and having to travel at least an hour each way. Most of the part-time jobs were 3 hours a day/5 days a week. Financially it just wasn't worth it. So I started my own ebay business which has worked out really well, I can control (to an extent) how much I earn and I can move the business with me. DH is in the defence force, so moving is a given.

what kind of ebay business if you dont mind me asking

what kind of ebay business if you dont mind me asking

I started out selling cake decorating supplies as I do cake decorating as a hobby. But I've ended up selling more party products than actual cake decorating stuff. I found it's very hard to compete with the Americans. They get their stuff so much cheaper than we do in Aus. I'm starting to wind things back for a while as bub is due in May. Here is my store if you're interested http://stores.ebay.com.au/Petals-Cakes-Sugarcraft?_rdc=1

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

Before DD i worked at Woolworths head office, when i returned to work, i transferred into my local woolies and i now do nightfill 4 nights a week. Its ideal as i'm not shelling out for childcare just so i can work and daddy and DD get quality time of a night.

I am also studying a Primary Teaching degree part-time by distance.
Sign in to follow this topic