Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Left/right- handedness Lock Rss

i am wondering if it can show up quite early - ie 6 months? i remember with DS1 he would always grab things the majority of the time with his right hand. DS2 seems to use his left mostly, and is definitely more co-ordinated with his left when it comes to getting food into his mouth so far.

he also rolled for the first time yesterday, and has now done it about 7 times, he always rolls to his left.

also just wondering, both DH and i are right-handed. is it a hereditary thing? anyone who are both right handers (or both lefties!) have the opposite with their child? just curious!!

I was also wondering this as my DD is 3 months old and grabs everything with her left hand and also rolls to her left. While my DP and I are both right handed we do have a few left handed family members from both our sides.
My youngest is left handed. Even as a baby he favoured his left hand but he would swap a bit. DH and I are both right handed and I dont know anyone in my family thats left handed. Not sure about DH's family though.
It's probably still a bit early to tell if bubs will be a lefty or a righty. When they are little they tend to swap hands a lot. By the time they are toddlers you should be able to tell. When you give them a spoon or crayon etc, place it in the middle of them (on the table or tray), rather than on the left or right close to a hand (sorry hope that makes sense!) that way you will encourage them to naturally use their favoured hand. Left handedness can run in families, but not necessarily from mum and dad IYKWIM, it could be your brother is a lefty and also your child etc... Sorry, hope that makes sense!
Hi i dont know for sure but id say atleast 12 mths plus. My older 2 are right handers. My 3rd son is left, i think as he still uses both hand s for everything and hes 2yrs. Itll be interesting to see what my daughter will be. Me and DH are both right handers smile
My Dr and CHN both said they "choose" at about 18 months to 2 yrs, anything before that is "incidental" and means nothing because they are just exploring with objects before then.

My DS is left handed, he holds the spoon in his left hand to eat (and has since about 12 months), picks up a crayon/pencil to draw with his left hand etc.
with my 2 DDs they had a preferred hand by 6 months. DS is nearly to and still swaps alot, but i think he will be a righty.
DD1 is right DD2 is Lefty. DP and i are both right. the only person in either of our families that is left handed is my dad.
its a bit hard sometimes trying to show her how to do something. we try very hard to encourage her to use the hand/foot she is comfortable with, its a bit hard sometimes though lol. i think it'll be harder once she starts school and trying to show her how to write etc.
i hope that made sense.

I don't think it is hereditary, my dad is a leftie and all (4) kids are right handed. My husband is also a leftie and our daughter is right handed. I think you can tell pretty early on but wouldn't have a clue how early!
I am right handed... both my parents are lefties... my sister is righty as well....

DH is a righty... DS is righty.... DD seems to be a lefty (she is 3)....

So I don't think it is heriditary....

Owen 26.2.04 and Hannah 17.9.07

wat about ambidextrous??

My son is 4 and a half and has always used both hands for everything.. when he first went to daycare at 2 they said he would grow outta it and they still mention it now in his book that he still uses both hands but they still say he will stay with one side soon..i dont think he will and plus i think its cool i dont have anyone in my family that is ambidextrous.

Mum to 4 kids
Ethan Joel William
Jake Alexander
Emmalee Scarlett
Callum John

Our 2 angels 9wk baby and Ryan Jayden 17wks.

DS1 is lefthanded and we knew this from a very early age as he has ALWAYS favoured his left hand. Even when he was just learning to grab toys it was with his left hand.

There is no one in our family that is left handed except my uncle so no not hereditary in our case although I read an interesting book about lefthandedness which said that a child with two right handed parents has only a 9% chance of being lefthanded. A child with one left handed parent has a 15% chance of lefthandedness and if both of your parents are lefthanded you have a 22% chance of being left handed. So I guess what your parents are can slightly influence it.

I just figure it makes my little man extra special smile

wat about ambidextrous??

My son is 4 and a half and has always used both hands for everything.. when he first went to daycare at 2 they said he would grow outta it and they still mention it now in his book that he still uses both hands but they still say he will stay with one side soon..i dont think he will and plus i think its cool i dont have anyone in my family that is ambidextrous.

i think i remember my dad telling me that my grandmas is ambidextrous! which is funny, because i do some things with my left hand, even though i am right handed. when i was working in retail i would be able to use the till just as easily with my left and right hands. i also usually turn taps on and off with my left, if i do it with my right i sometimes turn it the wrong way lol!!!

Sign in to follow this topic