Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Water, cordial, fizzy, juice, milk......

Water, cordial, fizzy, juice, milk...... Lock Rss

my DD tried coke and she cried because the fizzy scared her and felt yucky in her mouth - all the better for me! Now i only have to say "its fizzy" and she refuses to even try soft drinks.

and when it comes to cordial and juice, she simply doesnt like them because from such a young age she's only been exposed to water.

At a birthday party recently all the kids were given cordial and she came up to me and asked if i could get her water instead - to me that pretty impressive for a 3 year old and i certainly wouldnt consider her to be the "nothing worse" kid at the party. she was allowed to have it but chose her preference which just so happens to be the healthiest choice - cant see anything bad about that!

my DD tried coke and she cried because the fizzy scared her and felt yucky in her mouth - all the better for me! Now i only have to say "its fizzy" and she refuses to even try soft drinks.

and when it comes to cordial and juice, she simply doesnt like them because from such a young age she's only been exposed to water.

At a birthday party recently all the kids were given cordial and she came up to me and asked if i could get her water instead - to me that pretty impressive for a 3 year old and i certainly wouldnt consider her to be the "nothing worse" kid at the party. she was allowed to have it but chose her preference which just so happens to be the healthiest choice - cant see anything bad about that!

Nothing bad about it at all. DS still doesn't like soft drinks ( we don't drink them anyway ) but if he wants water at a party, I'm sure no-one "feels bad" for him.

hehe oops. My post is the 2 last lines tongue

water throughout the day and milk with breakfast and sometimes lunch. DD has never even had a juice, cordial or fizzy. She just asks for water when out...We drink water when out too....
Our DD2 is only old enough for formula & water so thats all she drinks!

DD1 generally has a glass of milk in the morning & one at night just before she goes to bed. Throughout the day she will just drink water, though she never asks for anything else. I only drink water myself so she wants what mummy wants smile On the odd occasion she will have a 'fizzy' drink but we just mix some lemon juice, fresh orange etc & soda water in a glass & voila! Fizzy drink!

My son usually will have a milo or milk in the morning, with meals i give him either water with lemon Juice (fresh if i have some or bottled if no fresh) or some cordial or watered down juice. In between meals is water

I did read somewhere once that if you are going to give your child juice (or any other sugary drinl for that matter), give it with a meal because the food acids can help neutrilise the sugars in the juice.

Oh and as for nutritional value in juice- YES there is in fact nutritional value to juice- it also happens to have a lot of fructose (natural sugars found in fruit)which is why it isnt recommended for kids unless watered down.

Our DD2 is only old enough for formula & water so thats all she drinks!

DD1 generally has a glass of milk in the morning & one at night just before she goes to bed. Throughout the day she will just drink water, though she never asks for anything else. I only drink water myself so she just wants what mummy wants smile On the odd occasion she will have a 'fizzy' drink but we just mix some lemon juice, fresh orange etc & soda water in a glass & voila! Fizzy drink!

Oh and as for nutritional value in juice- YES there is in fact nutritional value to juice- it also happens to have a lot of fructose (natural sugars found in fruit)which is why it isnt recommended for kids unless watered down.

actually if they eat fruit, there is no additional nutritional value obtained from drinking juice.
Yes it has vitamins and minerals but they get this from whole fruit. Fibre in whole fruit is what makes the fructose digestible by the body, as there is little to no fibre in juice its virtually sugar water you are feeding your kids glossed over as healthy...

Apologies for my replies, hope they make sense. I am usually typing one handed or interrupted halfway through wink

actually if they eat fruit, there is no additional nutritional value obtained from drinking juice.
Yes it has vitamins and minerals but they get this from whole fruit. Fibre in whole fruit is what makes the fructose digestible by the body, as there is little to no fibre in juice its virtually sugar water you are feeding your kids glossed over as healthy...

Yes very true-whole fruit is WAY better because of the added fibre that juice doesnt contain, i just thought it a weird comment to state that juice has no nutritional value.

Well im a bad mum to, DD (18 months) has water, juice and cordial when she wants. She also has some of mine or DH's fizzy sometimes at tea. I dont dont see the difference in giving her juice/cordial/fizzy or a chocolate frog/lollies....kids are kids let them act like that. as long as they also drink water and eat healthily who cares if they have other things?
And to who ever said theres nothing worse than the kid at the bbq whos not allowed juice, I know what you mean. My friends little girl is that kid. she is almost 4 and only ever drank water, yet her parents always have coke/fanta ect but wont even give her a sip its sad to see her miss out......

Well im a bad mum to, DD (18 months) has water, juice and cordial when she wants. She also has some of mine or DH's fizzy sometimes at tea. I dont dont see the difference in giving her juice/cordial/fizzy or a chocolate frog/lollies....kids are kids let them act like that. as long as they also drink water and eat healthily who cares if they have other things?
And to who ever said theres nothing worse than the kid at the bbq whos not allowed juice, I know what you mean. My friends little girl is that kid. she is almost 4 and only ever drank water, yet her parents always have coke/fanta ect but wont even give her a sip its sad to see her miss out......

Is the little girl sad? Does she want to fizzy drink?
If she does want the drink and they don't let her have a sip then I can understand what you mean.
What I'm saying is, DS doesn't like fizzy drink so I don't want anyone to think he is missing out.

Is the little girl sad? Does she want to fizzy drink?
If she does want the drink and they don't let her have a sip then I can understand what you mean.
What I'm saying is, DS doesn't like fizzy drink so I don't want anyone to think he is missing out.

Yeah she wants it, but her mum just wont let her. We went to a bbq down the beach one night and her mum didnt bring her a drink so she had to drink out of a tap there, i offered some of my dd's juice but she wasnt allowed.
Sign in to follow this topic