Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Water, cordial, fizzy, juice, milk......

Water, cordial, fizzy, juice, milk...... Lock Rss

DS is 3. He no longer will drink milk except in his cereal or if we are out i may buy him a milkshake as a special treat or very occassionally watered down lemonade eg out at a bbq etc. otherwise water all the time. From about 2 years he used to have 1-2 watered down juices a day but not anymore as it makes him hyperactive!

DD is 14 months and only has breast milk and water or milk in her cereal.

Any other drinks they know are 'mummy daddy drinks' and not for them!
i'm not talking two year olds i am talking like 8 year olds

well i was talking 2 yr olds- actually probably 0-5 age range

by 8 yrs old i would think he is getting pocket money so could buy it himslef like i said in my post....

Apologies for my replies, hope they make sense. I am usually typing one handed or interrupted halfway through wink

DS is 3. He no longer will drink milk except in his cereal

Same, DS has refused milk since 18 months old and I took his bottle away. We dont really drink fizzy in our house (apart from mineral water which DS doesnt like) and we dont buy cordial or juice.
If we are out at breakfast or at a party, he is allowed a juice but that is on the odd occasion.
And DS chuggs the water down, he will seriously get through more in a day than me (including my teas and coffees)!

His Royal Highness, Prince William

my kids have whatever i give them or whatever DD asks for when it comes to drinks (bar anything with caffine) grin

we have a soda stream maker so when it comes to fizzy we can control how much flavouring they get which is great. i honestly dont care that much what they drink as long as they are drinking (especially at this time of year)
DD is 3 and she mostly drinks water and she will have an apple juice every now and then (which i water down) and sometimes she will ask for milk.

I dont agree with giving young children softdrink, i dont think they need it, but each to their own! My DD has always loved water and i dont see the need to introduce her to things that she has no idea about when she is happy drinking water!

DD is 3 and she mostly drinks water and she will have an apple juice every now and then (which i water down) and sometimes she will ask for milk.

I dont agree with giving young children softdrink, i dont think they need it, but each to their own! My DD has always loved water and i dont see the need to introduce her to things that she has no idea about when she is happy drinking water!

I agree with this smile

DD only ever has water and a bottle of milk before bed at home. When we go out she sometimes gets a treat. Which is a milkshake or a flavoured milk. This isn't all the time.

I have a major thing about DD having fizzy, I just can't imagine giving a 2yo fizzy, each to there own, if someone wants to do that with there child then thats there business but as long as I can control it, DD will be only having what I give her.

I have a 4yo and a 6yo... They still are only offered water or juice if they feel like something different.

My 6yo prefers water, will turn down soft drink if she's asked and my 4yo would drink soft drink by the gallon if offered - cause it's not offered it's not a problem... Even at parties we always go water or juice....
DD has Water. She isnt a very big juice fan, but will taste mummies juice if i am having any. DF drinks way too much coke so it is kept in the fridge downstairs and DD knows she isnt allowed to have it. As for Fizzy, i dont buy it unless i feel like something different wich is usually the diet rite Lemonade or soda water with a twist of lime, and i will let dd have a small amount. She is allowed cordial. I buy no added colour, preservative or atificial flavours or sugars cordial and she is allowed one glass a day. Usually when we get home in the afternoon and its soooo hot, we sit and enjoy a glass of cordial together.
water, milk, honey milk, herbal tea, occasional 100% juice, mineral water for special occasions, very occasionally mixed with a splash of lemonade.

if you can hold off with the sugar, things like juice are such a novelty you don't need to give them rubbish to make them feel like its special.
My kids have mostly water, milk, or water with a tiny bit of cordial, and occasionally juice. If there is a choice between flavoured milk or juice, I will take the flavoured milk - for the kids, of course! We buy juice every few months, and it is a novelty for the kids. That said, they have soft drinks at parties, which isn't very often at all. As for the person who said that the parents drink fizzy all day and the kid gets none, they are never going to win. They are either setting a bad example, or if they do give the kid fizzy they will be judged for that too. I drink pepsi max once or twice a day, as does my husband, but our children do not get any of it. I don't think that's a bad thing...

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

DS is 3 and DD is 21 months - they get milk at breakfast, a cup of cordial with tea (after it's finished, they only get water) and water during the day. If we go out I'll sometimes buy them a bottle of juice, but they haven't been offered softdrink at all, and I'll keep it that way until they're a bit older.

My children only have milk or water. No F'ing way will they get all that sugar loaded crap til they can buy it themselves. Sorry but i think its selfish and dumb to pump your kids full of that crap. There is no nutritional value in fizzy/cordial or juice so why???

This is downright offensive. Reneemargaret, if you choose not to give your children anything but water or milk, then so be it. You're their parent and that's your choice. But kindly don't label me (or others) selfish or dumb because our choice of kids' drinks are different to yours.
DS drinks milk and water. We make "noisy juice" as he calls it with our own juicer a few times a week. He has tried lemonade and cordial on special occasions/family gatherings., but milk and water are his primary drink.
Sign in to follow this topic