Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Moving Interstate - from VIC to QLD

Moving Interstate - from VIC to QLD Lock Rss

DH is considering a a mining job in Middlemount so it would mean packing the family up and moving interstate, where we do not know anyone. Its a bit daunting. We currently live in SE VIC so its a big move. Never moved more than 30 km away!

We have 3 small girls (4, 2 and nearly 1). I don't even know things like what's the town like for young families and children? And SAHM! Cannot find much on the internet. Swimming pool for lessons? Kinder? Shopping? Restaurants or Take Away (-: Good town to pop the baby in a pram and go for a walk? Parks?

I feel this is something he needs to do and he prefers a residential role so we're with him as opposed ti FIFO. Bit still feeling a bit worried about the change!

I've never been to middle mount as from what I have heard there is pretty much nothing there just like a normal small town I'm guessing.

Please keep in mind that minning is not a secure job he can easily be given the flick. So many ppl I know have lost their jobs at the mines cause the industry is all over the place, the money is great but won't be so great when he's left with no job. My dad is out at the mines an in the past yr he's been without a job twice an has changed mines heaps an heaps of times.

Good luck though, hope all goes well!
Yeah I think it would mean trips to Rocky and Mackay (Mackay sounds nice?). I think the job is a permanent role - we haven't heard the nitty gritty details yet but would hate it to not be a secure position after such an upheavel. means renting out our house while we're gone too so not too easy to come back (I mean, we could rent in the meantime, but still).

DH says I'll be able to make more friends but thats not the point. I need my mommy! lol. There is the phone, but thats not the same as helping with the kids at swimming time, is there daycare to help out so I can do housework/groceries easier, what if I'm not well and there's no-one to help? So much to consider....

In the town DH started his mining career in, we had to drive through Middlemount to get back to our home town. It really is a blink and you'll miss it type town. The isn't an abundance of shops, restaurants etc. Nor a great deal on offer for the kids like what you'd find in larger towns. If they have a local pool they would be the ones to contact regarding swimming lessons. Perhaps look at Playgroup Australia website to see if there is a playgroup. You might find a kindergym if your lucky. Daycare could be a problem with long waiting lists. We are situated a few hours sth/wst in another mining town. And our closest decent town is Rockhampton, where you will find just about everything except Myer. Is there a possibility to transfer within the company to a different town 6 or so months down the track? Ultimately a mining town is what you make of it. Always take the opportunity to get out and meet people, you'll be surprised at the friendships you'll make.

Perhaps look at Playgroup Australia website to see if there is a playgroup.

Thanks, I did this and there's a playgroup there! Phew, thats one way to meet people and little friends for the kids. Could even ring the contact person and ask about the town I guess...

They mentioned flying us up there to check it out but I imagine that would be brief and a bit of a drive by I guess.

Thanks, I did this and there's a playgroup there! Phew, thats one way to meet people and little friends for the kids. Could even ring the contact person and ask about the town I guess...

They mentioned flying us up there to check it out but I imagine that would be brief and a bit of a drive by I guess.

gees if they offered take advantage of that. It's a big commitment to upheave your family, so go check it on on their dime grin

My partner's a miner, and a job years back they wanted us to move to the town. Beautiful spot, but we declined and he continued to fly in and out. 3 months later the mine closed.

I'll check with DH when he gets home because he's worked out of middlemount.. but its pretty much like others have said very very small.. rocky is your closest.. I would go for the flight they usually do it for about 2 days and most mining companies will have someone take you around so that you can see the facilities etc they are actually really helpful so make sure you take them up on the offer as well as take a list of questions with you.. remember they want your partner to take the job so they will be very very helpful.. can I ask what the role is??
Its coal mining out of middlemount (not a huge fan lolol) but the money is very good.

Hi there,
We've just done the opposite qld-vic, before we moved 6mnths ago i had never been to vic i knew no-one had no family or friends and was SOOOOOOOO scared. At the time of the move DD1 had just turned 2 adn DD2 was 5mnths. We were in Rockhampton (about 3hr drive from middlemount), so cant give you any advise on the town middlemount but from what ive heard its got the basics and thats pretty much it, as far as i know its mainly a mining town and most ppl i know from there do trips to rocky or mackay for the main things, i went to school with alot of borders from there.I can tell you a bit about our interstate move. Through huggies i made a wonderful friend she then introduced me to a playgroup and i made more friends then also through huggies ive made alot more friends we have now settled in, we have daycare and playgroup and gym and playdates to keep us busy. Its super hard doing a big move especially with children but in our case its been worth it smile best luck with everything smile

I also went the other way......Mackay to Victoria, just around the corner from us3girls smile Middlemount is really a nothing town. The hardest thing about far north queensland is that everything is so far from everything. And travelling that far in a big move with three kids is NOT easy. Not at all. BUT if you are organised it can work. Be prepared to feel as though you are in limbo for an extended period though, until you can find a place to settle in (I moved in to mine yesterday).

Yeah I think it would mean trips to Rocky and Mackay (Mackay sounds nice?). I think the job is a permanent role - we haven't heard the nitty gritty details yet but would hate it to not be a secure position after such an upheavel. means renting out our house while we're gone too so not too easy to come back (I mean, we could rent in the meantime, but still).

DH says I'll be able to make more friends but thats not the point. I need my mommy! lol. There is the phone, but thats not the same as helping with the kids at swimming time, is there daycare to help out so I can do housework/groceries easier, what if I'm not well and there's no-one to help? So much to consider....

I lived in Mackay for four years. I do not recommend it. It is a nice town to visit but that's it. There is next to nothing for kids save for playgroup and a music group, there are no play centres except for the PCYC, and you can go to the lagoon but it's full of hooligans carrying on so not ideal for mini people. There are several parks but only a few are fully fenced. THe weather is not at all conducive to playing outside. THe sun is brutal, and when it is hot it is almost too hot to play and when it is raining it is too wet. And the humidity sits around 98% for much of the summer, when it is wet season.

That's Mackay though. Not Middlemount. I've never been to middlemount but talking to people who have it is not a place I would be moving in a hurry.

Sorry, I grew to really hate far north queensland and am ecstatic to be back in Victoria.

As PP's have said mine jobs are fickle. THey can be gone in the blink of an eye. And to move to a backass town with the risk of that happening, well, I wouldn't do it.

All the best.....

I'll check with DH when he gets home because he's worked out of middlemount.. can I ask what the role is??

Thanks, that would be helpful (-:

The role is for an underground mine surveyor ....

BUT if you are organised it can work.

THe sun is brutal, and when it is hot it is almost too hot to play and when it is raining it is too wet. And the humidity sits around 98% for much of the summer, when it is wet season.

As PP's have said mine jobs are fickle. THey can be gone in the blink of an eye. And to move to a backass town with the risk of that happening, well, I wouldn't do it.

All the best.....

Organised? LOL.

Silly question maybe but with weather like that do the clothes dry properly on the washing line or would they always be damp?

Yeah DH assures me its not a contract like some FIFO's, its a permanent role with the company that owns (?) the mine. But I hear ya, to move all the way there, with all that hassle, stress etc it would wanna be permanent!

Organised? LOL.

Silly question maybe but with weather like that do the clothes dry properly on the washing line or would they always be damp?

Yeah DH assures me its not a contract like some FIFO's, its a permanent role with the company that owns (?) the mine. But I hear ya, to move all the way there, with all that hassle, stress etc it would wanna be permanent!

When we flew down our plane was delayed for 2 hours. I'd particularly booked that flight because of the timing. BUT I had snacks, water, games, books etc for the kids, and a portable DVD player, which helped. Once we arrived, and before we got settled in the new place, it was purely organisation. Because you are literally living out of a suitcase you need to know where everything is. Keep all the kids clothes separate into their own piles. If different nappies, same thing. Medicines etc need to be on hand. Favourite toys etc need to be accessible.

In winter the clothes on the line will dry within an hour in the bright sunlight. As you can then tell, that sunshine is pretty full on. ALWAYS need to wear sunscreen and a hat and preferably cover up as much as possible because it is harsh. In summer it is wet season. There will be four months of the year you can not use the clothes line, you will 100% need a dryer. If you try and hang the clothes inside on a rack to dry they won't because it is too humid. Mould is a huge problem and develops really quickly. You will also need some Tupperware containers or similar because the moisture gets into the food. There are also heaps of bugs that get in. Lots of cockroaches and toads too. Not so many spiders though. Oh, and snakes.

I don't paint a very good picture do I????? LOL.Sorry, but I'm being brutally honest here. It wasn't great.
I grew up in QLD and spent 10 years living in Dysart which is not too far from Middlemount. It is true, middlemount really does not have a lot, but like any place it really comes down to what you make of it. I say this as I have lived in 10 different towns, 5 different states (ranging from a couple of 100 people to millions). The best way to meet new people is to look at sporting activities within the local region (or having DH join sporting groups.) Small mining towns seem to love their sport and have big parties including lots of families and children activities. The two places that you will do your big shopping is Rockhampton and Mackay. The best thing about these smaller mining towns is that for young children they are great. Safe and it is easy to make friends. However I do not think that they are great for teenages as there is not a lot of entertainment. I would probably even look at moving to Dysart as it is a bigger centre than middlemount and will be more activities to do. (We lived in Middlemount for a period and mum worked as a nurse in Dysart- so not a great distance to travel). I always think you have to give these things a go as you don't want to regret not going and what could turn out to be the best move.

In winter the clothes on the line will dry within an hour in the bright sunlight. As you can then tell, that sunshine is pretty full on. ALWAYS need to wear sunscreen and a hat and preferably cover up as much as possible because it is harsh. In summer it is wet season. There will be four months of the year you can not use the clothes line, you will 100% need a dryer. If you try and hang the clothes inside on a rack to dry they won't because it is too humid. Mould is a huge problem and develops really quickly. You will also need some Tupperware containers or similar because the moisture gets into the food. There are also heaps of bugs that get in. Lots of cockroaches and toads too. Not so many spiders though. Oh, and snakes.

I didn't find this an issue out in western QLD as the heat is more dry. I actually don't remember my family even owning a dryer until we moved further north. Yes snakes are an issue ( I was almost attacked by a taipan - but this was further North), but growing up we road our bikes through the bush with no parental supervision, we built cubby houses on the outskirts of town. BBQ every weekend and such. Again I think it comes down to making conections with the locals and building friendships this way smile

Sign in to follow this topic