Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Moving Interstate - from VIC to QLD

Moving Interstate - from VIC to QLD Lock Rss

I must be weird because I live in Mackay and like it....lol smile

Middlemount is a small town. There wouldn't be anymore that 5000 people living there. It has a small row of shops and when I say small I mean, there's a take-away store, video shop, bank, bakery, clothing store (which is really expensive) and a few other little shops. There's the pub which is the highlight of the place! They have a primary and high school. A local pool. There's a daycare there and they have a local playgroup.

They have a football feild and other sporting places like BMX and motocross tracks. I think there's even a golf course and a Chinese Resturant there. They have some nice parks for kids to play in too. Bundoora Dam is also close by. If you google map it with the statellite view it'll show you what it looks like.

It gets hot there. Like hotter than Mackay and Mackay is pretty hot atm. It's a dry heat though. Like a PP said, a town like that is what you make of it. It can be a bit gossipy and everyone knows everyone else's business. Some of the women try to compete with each other, very keeping up with the Jones' type of thing. But there are some lovely people there too. I have a few friends who live out there and they are great people!

You're closest major town would be Mackay then Rockhampton towards the south. Both have good shops but as a PP said no Myer (though Mackay is building one as we speak) but there's Target, Wollies, Big W, Coles, Kmart etc. Plus Mackay has beaches close by where as Rocky's closest beach is 30 mins or more away.

Hope this helps smile

I lived in Mackay for four years. I do not recommend it. It is a nice town to visit but that's it. There is next to nothing for kids save for playgroup and a music group, there are no play centres except for the PCYC, and you can go to the lagoon but it's full of hooligans carrying on so not ideal for mini people. There are several parks but only a few are fully fenced. THe weather is not at all conducive to playing outside. THe sun is brutal, and when it is hot it is almost too hot to play and when it is raining it is too wet. And the humidity sits around 98% for much of the summer, when it is wet season.

LOL exactly what I think of Mackay!!!! hate it, will never live there again 4yrs was way to long for me. No one seems to know what a indicator is or know what breaks are an love to sit on your arse angry I hate going there just for the day to visit ppl!

LOL exactly what I think of Mackay!!!! hate it, will never live there again 4yrs was way to long for me. No one seems to know what a indicator is or know what breaks are an love to sit on your arse angry I hate going there just for the day to visit ppl!

LMAO sooooo true!!!! At least it isn't just me that thinks that way of Mackay tongue
Just wanted to say I have survived 22 years in Rockhampton without a clothes dryer. INCLUDING when I had a baby in cloth nappies smile That's my only contribution as I know nothing about Middlemount lol.

Hope this helps smile

Thank you, yes this helps! Couple of shops at least and the prospect of chinese sounds good. Most info I've gotten about Middlemount I think! I didn't know there was a High School there but after reading your post and googling it it says the primary and high school amalgamated. But thats a few years off anyways but still good to know! Sounds like its better to head to Mackay than Rocky (apart from those drivers that think they're in the city and in such a hurry, see next post), same shops but Myer coming (we don't have Myer here either but would be nice to have the option!) and the beach if its nice. I'd like to think I don't care re keeping up with the Joneses but guess its easy to get sucked in...

hmm, really dislike drivers like that. Thanks for the heads up!

Just wanted to say I have survived 22 years in Rockhampton without a clothes dryer. INCLUDING when I had a baby in cloth nappies smile That's my only contribution as I know nothing about Middlemount lol.

Glad to hear it as I really try not to use a dryer. Example: we moved to our current house 19 months ago and haven't even connected it!

Well, an update. DH and I fly up on Tuesday for his formal interview and mine tour, as well as to check out the type of accommodation they provide and the town itself.

The role is for a permanent position in the mine, as mine surveyor, not a contract etc like some temp jobs, just to clear that up from some pp.

The thought of moving so far away is still scary, its a bit change, but apart from normal nerves I think its a good idea for him to try this. He's wanted to do it for years and I'd hate to be holding him back, so to speak. Would hate for him to be 60 and full of regrets that he didn't at least try it. We can always come back.

hmm. You can probably tell I'm still thinking out loud (YKWIM). lol.

So, we went out there last week, man its a lot of travel when you're 2.5 hours from melbourne! We flew from melbourne to brisbane (1.5 hrs), then waited an hour for a flight to emerald (1.5 hrs), then drove 1.5 hours to Middlemount. Long day! The company paid for us to stay in the hotel for the night and paid for our meal, then the next day I checked out the town while DH went to the mine for 5.5 hours. Needless to say I exhausted the town pretty quickly but was pleasantly surprised! A lot of the feedback I had must have been from people accustomed to cities, whereas we are from a smallish country town anyway. The difference is we have a lot of small towns around so our region has everything you might need/want but Myers! So Middlemount has everything you would need for a day to day basis, everything else you can stock up on in the large towns on a weekend trip or buy online, I guess. And there were quite a few parks which the kids would love.

I also had an appointment with the kinder, where the staff were lovely. I was shocked at the price difference. Not sure if its the shire or QLD in general. We pay $165 per term here, its app $800 there.

I was quite looking forward to seeing the houses and was a bit let down, as they were.. older I guess you'd say... than I was expecting. Not that we're snobs or anything and our house certainly isn't brand new but they were a bit like our cheap commission style houses are here. But its what you make it, and by the time our belongings are in there I'm sure it would feel more like a home.

DH was really happy with the mine, and all the people we meet were lovely. The company paid for us to stay in Brisbane the nest night so we only had to travel from middlemount to emerald to brisbane, then to Melbourne then home the next day which was great. Great? Apart from motion sickness on all 4 flights! argh, awful.

So, DH just got back today from another job offer in Glenden, closer to Mackay. There are aspects of both he likes but I do think we will be moving to one shortly!

Still .. scared?... of the change and leaving behind friends and family but there's the telephone, can fly my mom up for visits, come down once or twice a year and maybe even skype etc (no idea how to do that but still!)Its only the other side of the country, not another country and should mean we have the chance of more quality family time together, with some nice places to visit and a bit more cash to be able to do it! So, gotta think positive about it....

I think if you are used to living in small towns, it won't matter where in Qld you end up, you will be able to enjoy it and make the most of it.

Middlemount is small, it does only have limited services, that is pretty much par for the course for all mining towns around the area. We currently live in a Qld mining town around an hour from Emerald and have previously lived in Dysart. I have family that also live in Tieri, which is near MM.

Good luck with your move, wherever you end up choosing to go. We are looking at moving on soon, possibly to WA or Tas.

My husband and I are big believers that a town is what you make it, if you get out there and get to know people, go to sporting events, accept invites to bbq's etc- basically give small town life a go- you can have a wonderful time, make some great friends and give your kids a great chance to grow up in a small town.

So, we went out there last week, man its a lot of travel when you're 2.5 hours from melbourne! We flew from melbourne to brisbane (1.5 hrs), then waited an hour for a flight to emerald (1.5 hrs), then drove 1.5 hours to Middlemount. Long day! The company paid for us to stay in the hotel for the night and paid for our meal, then the next day I checked out the town while DH went to the mine for 5.5 hours. Needless to say I exhausted the town pretty quickly but was pleasantly surprised! A lot of the feedback I had must have been from people accustomed to cities, whereas we are from a smallish country town anyway. The difference is we have a lot of small towns around so our region has everything you might need/want but Myers! So Middlemount has everything you would need for a day to day basis, everything else you can stock up on in the large towns on a weekend trip or buy online, I guess. And there were quite a few parks which the kids would love.

I also had an appointment with the kinder, where the staff were lovely. I was shocked at the price difference. Not sure if its the shire or QLD in general. We pay $165 per term here, its app $800 there.

I was quite looking forward to seeing the houses and was a bit let down, as they were.. older I guess you'd say... than I was expecting. Not that we're snobs or anything and our house certainly isn't brand new but they were a bit like our cheap commission style houses are here. But its what you make it, and by the time our belongings are in there I'm sure it would feel more like a home.

DH was really happy with the mine, and all the people we meet were lovely. The company paid for us to stay in Brisbane the nest night so we only had to travel from middlemount to emerald to brisbane, then to Melbourne then home the next day which was great. Great? Apart from motion sickness on all 4 flights! argh, awful.

So, DH just got back today from another job offer in Glenden, closer to Mackay. There are aspects of both he likes but I do think we will be moving to one shortly!

Still .. scared?... of the change and leaving behind friends and family but there's the telephone, can fly my mom up for visits, come down once or twice a year and maybe even skype etc (no idea how to do that but still!)Its only the other side of the country, not another country and should mean we have the chance of more quality family time together, with some nice places to visit and a bit more cash to be able to do it! So, gotta think positive about it....

Good Luck with it all smile I have just moved to Mackay from Brisbane just under a month ago to live with my partner who works out in the mines. I packed up my 2 kids (2 and 4) and worldly possessions and moved 11 hours away. I had never lived any further than 1 hour North and 1/2 hour south of Brisbane so this is a huge change for me. My partner is away for days at a time and I don't know anyone up here but hoping sooner rather than later we will find someone for coffee or playdates!!

The first few weeks are easy- you are kept pretty busy with unpacking but now that its done I'm now starting to miss home and feeling a little isolated. Have been told it will get better!!!

Good Luck with the move- if your heading to Mackay let me know and maybe we can catch up for a coffee if you like smile

Jen- Mum 2 Abby 2 years & Georgia 7 months

Well we made the big move last week! It was a long 12.5 hours of travel inc 2 flights to get from country Vic to Middlemount, a lot to ask of 3 little kids! But here we are! Have been busy unpacking, taking the girls to the parks, getting back in touch after having no internet access for a week (didn't quite realise how much we had come to rely on it!). The weather has been lovely, tho looking a bit overcast today. DH has gone to Mackay for 3 days of training so just myself and the girls here atm. Cannot believe we have made the move, it hasn't sunk in it!

Hey there. I have no experience of living in a mining town but I really enjoyed reading this thread and I was wondering what you would do. I'm glad you got there OK. I'm sure you will enjoy your time there because you have a fabulous attitude that comes through in your posts. All the best and keep us posted on how you settle in. You know what, I reckon women looking a doing the same thing or in a similar situation would love to read a blog about it. I would just from a nosey perspective LOL!
Sign in to follow this topic