Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Have you extended your house? Lock Rss

Hi,

Just wanting to find out if you have extended and how you chose that path to take instead of moving?
We are currently in a situation where we are either going to have to extend (and can only go up) or move from the house we currently are in.

I never really wanted a double storey house but I am coming around to the idea of it now as I think it will be good when the kids get older to have their own space.

We are looking at keeping the master bedroom downstairs and putting 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a rumpus room upstairs.

Just wanting to here from anyone else that has extended and how you feel about it, were you happy afterwards with the decision you made? Did you have to move out of home to have it done? Who did you go through, ie: a builder or an extension company??

Thanks in Advance for your replies and any hints or tips you have

smile

Hi,

Just wanting to find out if you have extended and how you chose that path to take instead of moving?
We are currently in a situation where we are either going to have to extend (and can only go up) or move from the house we currently are in.

I never really wanted a double storey house but I am coming around to the idea of it now as I think it will be good when the kids get older to have their own space.

We are looking at keeping the master bedroom downstairs and putting 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a rumpus room upstairs.

Just wanting to here from anyone else that has extended and how you feel about it, were you happy afterwards with the decision you made? Did you have to move out of home to have it done? Who did you go through, ie: a builder or an extension company??

Thanks in Advance for your replies and any hints or tips you have

Nobody extended??

Hmmm maybe we should just move instead!! lol
Hi there,

I am a draftie, so i have drawn up many many extensions and alot of people to tend to add a second storey. If you really like where you live, then why not spend that money to improve on it so you can stay there longer.

The idea of kid space upstairs is great and first off before going up i would check with an engineer to see if your foundations are structurally sound to support the added load OR if they arent then there are ways around this (at an extra cost of course...but good to know about from the start).

Hope that some what helps smile
We have the same delima and we looked into getting our house raised so we could cover in underneath and use it as extra bedrooms and a bathroom. ANd like someone else said it is EXPENSIVE. The cheapest quote we could get was $50,000 to raise height of the house and then we were looking at anywhere from $30,000-$50,000 put down the slab and enclose it and put up the walls and bathroom. And then extra for power, carpets, plumbing etc. In our area its NOT worth it, we can buy a MUCH bigger house for an extra $50,000. and if were were to spend the money on our house we might never make it back when it came time to sell.

Also with raising the house, the house is unlivable while they are restumping so we would have to find somewhere else to live and also we would have to find somewhere to put all our breakable house items ie tv's, plates any glass items etc. And then there is a chance that they can break all the windows in the house as they are lifting it which we would have to pay for any damage as they wont and neither will my insurance. And its annoying having people at your house being noisey all the time, expecially if you have kids that sleep during the day.

It is a lot to think about, i would get some quotes and see what is best for you guys.
We are in the final stages of our renovation/extension!

We did not live in the house to begin with, but are living in a 2BR unit at the moment which is getting smaller by the day!

Why did we do it instead of buying one? Because for us it was cheaper! Love the area it is in to raise our children.

We went out not up...added rooms so we basically doubled the size of the house..We could not live in the property as we were doing the kitchen and bathroom, not able to live there without these!

My friends went up and still lived in the house, but the location of the upstairs meant they could...they also went on holidays whilst the beginning phase was being completed so the children (under 3yrs) did not get in the way.It was very noisy, trying to get children to sleep during the day was impossible!Their extension took 4mos.....when asked if they would do it again, they said they would move to parents for the first and last months as these appeared to be the noisiest at their house....

We used a builder and I organised all the permits such as planning permit, building permit (and permit to install sewerage unit, as we do not have access to town sewerage).

Before you commit too much money to extending, please organise for a builder to quote (will need at least 3 quotes to give you an idea of prices...we got 5!) and ask them lots of questions. A good builder will be able to tell you if you can go up! If the majority say you can, then organise a structural engineer, it they say no...then I would not bother to pay out any money to a structural engineer as it would be a waste of money!

Important stuff to know:
- you will need a building permit (in VIC you can do this through local council or a private company), you may also need a planning permit depending upon where you live...local council will be able to confirm this.
- you will need structural drawings (engineer drawings)
- we designed the house ourselves and then had it drawn up professionally, builder will need professionally drawn plans
- time frame of build will depend upon what you want done vs what they find when they commence...we found that our roof was not straight and it cost a bit more to have this corrected (but we were given the heads up prior to building that this may be the case).
- Make sure your extension is everything you want it to be, don't be one of those people that change their mind half way through building and want to move walls around...your builder will hate this and will charge you extra. Do your homework, work out what you want BEFORE you get drawings done...

We are doing as much as possible ourselves to minimise costs...Although I am now 7mos pregnant, I am doing all the painting.....

Oh yes, when you select your builder, if something is NOT written in the contract, they will NOT do it...so make sure everything you want is in the contract or it will cost you extra...

PM me if you like
I havent extended my own house but have lived through 2 extensions on my parents house. Yep it can be noisy and can be a bit painfull but it only lasts a few months. You can live through it easily enough aslong as you have an operational bathroom.

When waying up the costs of extending against selling and buying bigger you need to consider the cost of selling your existing home.
Agents fees
Solicitors fees
Stamp duty
Removalists costs etc
And most importantly the extra cost getting a larger a house.
All these costs can easily be upwards of $50,000

When you way that all up the cost of extending to stay in a much loved house and in an area that you love may not be that much more. But dont over capitalise. If similar houses to what you will end up with arent selling for that much more then what yours is worth now then its probably not going to be worth it.

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

Thanks you so much for your replies.

I think our first step will be to get a few builders out and get some quotes.

We had the extension factory come out and have been told they are a rip off compared to everyone else, but just wanted to get a ball park figure from them to see what we were looking at.

They quoted $160,000 which i don't know if it will be that much or not?!?

Argh...sooo much to think about.

Thanks so much for your replies again, it has really helped
hi there smile
we are extending right now. if i could suggest anything it would be dont go up go out . or chop and change the inside of your home . we recently purchased this place with the idea to change it and add a considerable amount of value. we got it as a 2 very big) rooms house with a pool and a really long lounge room. we now have a four bedroom , rumpas and the lounge has a big feature wall where u in build the tv, the tv unit goes in the wall . there is cavities where down lights go and two big cavities to the side of the wall for a big pot either side . we are painting atm (not fun) we are doing that ourselves. then the floors get done . the kitchen gets re done , the back deck gets ripped up and a big timber deck goes down . and around the pool gets decked . it will be half garden half deck . oh and all the tiles outside come up and grass goes down . then a roller door for the carport that goes through to garage . so far we have only spent 10k . and thats for the entire extension , electrical work, gyprock , all new architras (excuse spelling), half the paint and a new pool fence that we put up ourselves. extending up was way more expensive. without considering all the work yet to come we had our house valued and so far we have added over 30k to the value . the feature wall is said to have added 10k just there. we did all our extensions withing what we already had , so the huge long lounge room became 2 3by 3 rooms for the kids and the lounge room up the end is still a great size. the old second bedroom became a open plan rumpus , we knocked out the dining wall so we can look outside to the pool. i am very happy with our decision . we are getting exactly what we want and adding value to our home . we are also both working full time and living in the home with 2 kids. cant say its easy but it saves more money rather than renting or paying for a hotel . get lots of quotes and then decide whats best for u . good luck

We looked into extending up. The quotes were not too bad. We had a real estate agent come around to see about real sale in years to come and whether we would make our money back.

Unfortunately we were advised not too for resale reasons. Just remember your house is only worth what it is in that street. No point in turning it into a $400k house if it is only ever going to sell for $350k.
I have a set of friends that extended out and now want to extend up....The quotes were a little high given houses for sale in the area. Also the builders have told them that as the house was built in the 1950s it is not worth extending up as none of the walls or structural supports are likely to be straight and this would cause the cost of the extension to sky rocket...but unable to budget for as they do not know of the extent of the issue until building starts!

They found the walls were not straight when they extended out...

good luck with extending....
I've had a great experience building a Second Storey Addition with 32 Degrees Building in Sydney.

Their website has great tips to consider: https://www.32degreesbuilding.com.au/8-things-t...
https://www.32degreesbuilding.com.au/advantages...

Check it out it may help you to make a decision.
Hi, We are the best Bal Rating service provider in Perth, WA . If anyone looking for our services please visit our website to check the details.

Check it out : http://www.balrating.com.au/
Sign in to follow this topic