Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. anyone that follows sue dengate or can give help with food suggestions

anyone that follows sue dengate or can give help with food suggestions Lock Rss

ds behaviour at school is out of control and we are waiting for him to be assessed. I dont like that at the moment all im doing is sitting back and feeling helpless so ive decided to see if i can modify his diet.

Im looking for some help at finding alternatives or rather suggestions of what is safe for him to eat and easy enough for snacks at school while sticking to the no nasty preservatives and no salicyates(sp).

In addition im also trying to eliminate or reduce his intake of amines and msg. so that means no processed meats except chicken and one type of ham, no bananas, avacodo, chocolate, nuts, yoghurt, cheese, soy.

i really want to try this but after looking at the list of foods high in both amines or salicylates im feeling very overwhelmed and wondering what im supposed to send ds to school with. Especially when im trying to rule out msg as well

mum to one goregous boy

I have no idea about anything to do with amines, but I was on a salicylate free diet for quite some time and am happy to help if I can.....
When we had DS1 on this diet we gave him the following:

A red delicious apple with the skin removed for his morning fruit snack.
A firm banana (was told it was ok as long as it was firm...the riper the fruit, the more amines or salycitates in it)
I made up some pear jam and he had a sandwich with this.
Vita Wheat crackers or Clix
I would make a biscuit treat for him made from two arrowroot biscuits with a white marshmallow in between (done in the microwave so it was like a cream filling)
We were only doing the RPA diet,not the full Sue Dengate one and he was able to have some brands of yoghurt...not sure it that suits you or not though?

There were other things also,but I can't remember most of them off the top of my head. Would you believe I only just threw out all the food diaries and other stuff about two weeks ago!

I do still have an email I can send you which is a 23 page shopping list (includes brands) for the RPA diet. If you would like a copy let me know.

Also, if you haven't already, click here and then click on the first link (Failsafe Booklet) and it takes you to a great booklet with ideas and recipes in.

I also have the Sue Dengate book if you would like me to send it to you. I know how hard it is to go through this and I would be more than happy to help in any way possible.
Hope this all helps <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

DSS 13yr, DS1 4yr, DS2 3yr

When we had DS1 on this diet we gave him the following:

A red delicious apple with the skin removed for his morning fruit snack.
A firm banana (was told it was ok as long as it was firm...the riper the fruit, the more amines or salycitates in it)
I made up some pear jam and he had a sandwich with this.
Vita Wheat crackers or Clix
I would make a biscuit treat for him made from two arrowroot biscuits with a white marshmallow in between (done in the microwave so it was like a cream filling)
We were only doing the RPA diet,not the full Sue Dengate one and he was able to have some brands of yoghurt...not sure it that suits you or not though?

There were other things also,but I can't remember most of them off the top of my head. Would you believe I only just threw out all the food diaries and other stuff about two weeks ago!

I do still have an email I can send you which is a 23 page shopping list (includes brands) for the RPA diet. If you would like a copy let me know.

Also, if you haven't already, click here and then click on the first link (Failsafe Booklet) and it takes you to a great booklet with ideas and recipes in.

I also have the Sue Dengate book if you would like me to send it to you. I know how hard it is to go through this and I would be more than happy to help in any way possible.
Hope this all helps <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

thanks im cutting out yoghurt all together but he is ok with custard so thats ok. had trouble finding a red delicious apple last night but i realise that its impossible to eliminate them completely from his diet. he would normally have a packet of chips and i need to find an alternative he will eat, dont think he will eat a plain biscuit. and no chance with finding a firm banana here at the moment and i wouldnt risk it as im sensitive to bananas.

i might see if the local library has the book and have a good read

mum to one goregous boy

persivitve 202 is really bad as well for behaviour issues and other problems.....

well done for doing your best for him looking at food.....

have you thought about getting a teacher aid or going and spending some time with him in class in morning or collecting him home early about 2pm if things are getting bad...? maybe he can behave until lunch then the afternoons are worse when he is tired?

I have a friend with a son with adhd and she does collect him at lunch time and takes him back after lunch.... but we live in a small town and it only takes a few mins to go home and back again.... just thought i would put this out there incase you hadn't thought about it.

persivitve 202 is really bad as well for behaviour issues and other problems.....

well done for doing your best for him looking at food.....

have you thought about getting a teacher aid or going and spending some time with him in class in morning or collecting him home early about 2pm if things are getting bad...? maybe he can behave until lunch then the afternoons are worse when he is tired?

I have a friend with a son with adhd and she does collect him at lunch time and takes him back after lunch.... but we live in a small town and it only takes a few mins to go home and back again.... just thought i would put this out there incase you hadn't thought about it.

i work so thats not an option and i dont think one time of day is any better. its any time he has to sit at the table. he says its boring. we dont have a diagnosis yet, just wanted to see if i could help his behavioius by looking at his diet.

mum to one goregous boy

Sign in to follow this topic