Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. school aged kids, school holidays and fulltime work

school aged kids, school holidays and fulltime work Lock Rss

this will be a problem from us in the next 2 years. dh works full time and i work time.

what we have kinda talked about doing is each taking leave from work during the public holidays, using vacation care to balance it out and once all our leave has been used, hitting up the retired inlaws at the barossa to take the kids for a week or so.

tbh it gets too hard thinking about it.
its hard isn't it. it seems like a shame to use up your annual leave separately when it should be for time to do things together as a family. that is what i was wanting to figure out how to avoid.

i am jealous of those of you that can get grandparents in on it. My mum suffers from migraines, and i know she would't do it every day for 2 weeks, let alone over summer holidays. the in laws are older, and can only do a couple of days at a time without getting "exhausted", plus MIL still works 2 days a week, but might be retired be then. so that isn't really an option.

looks like it will have to be vacation care then!

You are right it is a big one.

I always assumed I'd go back to work FT when the kids hit school age (like they did this year)

But cost vs benefit we just decided it wasn't worth it (including both the stress and monetary sides). I instead picked up a little hobby job where I teach 6hrs a week during school hours, and they can come with me when they are on school holidays and this works really well for us

Before and after school care runs at $7/hr or part thereof ... so 2 kids, 5 days a week at say 3hrs a day each is $210 a week. Then vacation care is $50/day/kid!! I know a family with 3 kids who burned through thousands of dollars in holiday care fees over the Xmas break alone as they both had to work FT the entire time :S

Most parents at the boys school who both work FT seem to stagger their annual leave i.e. so not take it at the same time.
My DD was either going to my mums place for the 2 days a week during school holidays that i work..or my sister and I time it so that she is home to have my girls or i'm home to have her girls. My DD has just started OSHC for before school so I can get to work earlier and wants to do their vacation care program in school holidays, and I'm happy with that. Its subsidised like Child Care and you also get the Rebate for it as well. Ours is $38 before the subsidy (depending on what % you get).

its hard isn't it. it seems like a shame to use up your annual leave separately when it should be for time to do things together as a family. that is what i was wanting to figure out how to avoid.

i am jealous of those of you that can get grandparents in on it. My mum suffers from migraines, and i know she would't do it every day for 2 weeks, let alone over summer holidays. the in laws are older, and can only do a couple of days at a time without getting "exhausted", plus MIL still works 2 days a week, but might be retired be then. so that isn't really an option.

looks like it will have to be vacation care then!

i agree re annual leave. the way we figure it out (so it is cheaper etc) is that dh and i will never take annual leave together, which is not really how i picture our holidays to be like. and if we didnt have the inlaws as an option....well then it becomes even harder!

i have enough trouble figuring out how we are going to deal with school hours of 9-3 let alone the school holidays. on the plus side, my nieces and nephews do vacation care and absolutely love it and are always begging my sil to go there instead of staying home with her lol.
Sign in to follow this topic