Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Trying to study . But I feel so dumb . I want to CRY !!

Trying to study . But I feel so dumb . I want to CRY !! Lock Rss

Hi, I am currently studying Diploma in Financial Services (banking) though I am not having much luck sad . I am a busy mum of two, though DS1 goes to day care twice a week, and DS2 is a great bub who makes it easy for me to find the time to study, but still i just cant CONCENTRATE ! I look at the things that need to be read, and studied and I cant even read, I just skip it. As much as I try I just cant get my head around it sad. I am studying from home, and it is a bad mistake I have made. I have paid $680 to do this course for 6 months (pay again in JUNE for another 6months) and I just cannot do it.
I have no idea what I am doing sad seriously..... and No TAFES in my area offer this course...
I email and call the faculty where I am studying from, and they always say they cannot help me as it is like a test so I cant get help.. ARGGGGHHH ! They just offer barely any help, its really dissapointing. And if I dont finish it, I will dissapoint myself and my partner .....
Sorry I had a rant... just really upsetting me how stupid I feel !!!

Jas

Hey

Im kind of in the same boat as you im currently studying to do a test to get accepted into uni, and i just cant seem to concentrate i seem to skip things, or ill read it then completly forget what i just read and have to go back and do it again. My ds is a very needy 1 year old always has to be with mummy....DF tries to take him off my hands but it just makes DS scream. We will both get through this..just gotta hang in there..you can do it smile

Hey

Im kind of in the same boat as you im currently studying to do a test to get accepted into uni, and i just cant seem to concentrate i seem to skip things, or ill read it then completly forget what i just read and have to go back and do it again. My ds is a very needy 1 year old always has to be with mummy....DF tries to take him off my hands but it just makes DS scream. We will both get through this..just gotta hang in there..you can do it smile

Thank you for your reply ! Geeze, I hope I can get through it sad ATM it is seriously driving me bonkers!!
And I think it annoys me more that they will not give me any advice, and dont say well focus on these pages of information etc. Oh well, good luck to you, Im sure you will be fine!! And Ill keep going... and going hehe.
Thanks !! x

Thank you for your reply ! Geeze, I hope I can get through it sad ATM it is seriously driving me bonkers!!
And I think it annoys me more that they will not give me any advice, and dont say well focus on these pages of information etc. Oh well, good luck to you, Im sure you will be fine!! And Ill keep going... and going hehe.
Thanks !! x

Thats fine i know how you feel lol smile you would think that they would offer you more help..i hope the uni im going through for nursing will be able to offer me the help i need sad Goodluck to you too..we are women we can do anything smile
Of course you're not dumb! Just sounds like you need some help getting your head around things. I've done a lot of studying over the years and a significant amount via distance/online and have a couple of tips to share.

One study tip I've always found really useful is before you start reading, define what the purpose of your reading is. That is, are you reading to answer a question or to research a topic. Then, as you read, highlight or write down key words/phrases/meanings, make short notes and you should find this will help you retain/recall information.

Also, if you find yourself drifting off when reading (for me, there's nothing like reading a textbook to put me to sleep!) try reading aloud. This forces you to stay alert - and awake smile

Good luck.

Of course you're not dumb! Just sounds like you need some help getting your head around things. I've done a lot of studying over the years and a significant amount via distance/online and have a couple of tips to share.

One study tip I've always found really useful is before you start reading, define what the purpose of your reading is. That is, are you reading to answer a question or to research a topic. Then, as you read, highlight or write down key words/phrases/meanings, make short notes and you should find this will help you retain/recall information.

Also, if you find yourself drifting off when reading (for me, there's nothing like reading a textbook to put me to sleep!) try reading aloud. This forces you to stay alert - and awake smile

Good luck.

Thank you for your tips, they do sound like they could work for me ! But seriously, at the moment I feel like I am doing this all for NOTHING. Only because I feel a bank wants somebody with experience other then just a course... LOL probably over reacting but just feels like that for now. See how I go down the track. It would be a job I would enjoy. But i needed to do something to keep my mind active !! I am considering if no jobs come along once finished this course, that I would like to maybe do a teaching degree. Though thats a big commitment.... see how I go with this one first. I really just want to get it done ! thanks again x

I am doing Cert 3 in Financial Services(accounting) through OTEN and I feel exactly the same way. Lately I just can't concentrate. Yesterday I asked my DH to look after DS for couple of hours so I can study and i ended up "looking" at my study material. I seriously was just zoning out and had to reread things over and over again, even though it was a simple subject.

I also had to go local uni to get a book from the library yesterday and while I was walking through uni, was thinking to myself how much I would love to actually get away from the house and be able to concentrate and study at lectures. Unfortunately closest TAFE that does my course is about an hour's drive from me. Not going to happen with 14 months old baby.

I used to be better at it, but for the last month or so it all started to fall appart on me. Maybe its just this time of the year. I hope it will pass quickly though as I have an important test to sit on 7th of April.

If you want to talk, drop me a line in PM smile
Maybe go to your local library? I find I study better when I don't have any distractions around me.
I hear ya! Im exactly the same. I use to be able to remember everything and never had to write reminders down. Now cant even remember who the last phone call was from!
I do have little bursts where i can concentrate however so i quickly give DS to DH and go study. Mostly its at night after DS has gone to bed but it only lasts for 2 hours. Can you go somewhere away from the kids? Maybe without them around, your mind will be totally free to concentrate on what your doing without half you brain concentrating on your kids?
Sign in to follow this topic