Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Do i tell my friend Rss

I feel incredibly ungrateful about this but my friend and her husband got me a set of pearls (necklace, bracelet and earings) for an early baby shower pressie. It was such a sweet thing for them to do but I really dont think i will wear them coz I feel a bit like a old grandma when i put them on, or like im a playing dress ups or something, its just not my style at all. Its such a shame coz it was such a lovely thing for them to go and get me a present like that and i feel really special that they thought to do it for me. But now i dont know what to do, coz they said to me that they are not to be put away for a special occasion and i have to wear them, but i really dont think i will! And i see them all the time so they will notice if i am not wearing them... sad do i tell them.......i dont know if i can bring myself to actually tell them....i think they will be offended.........do you like pearls? Do you think they are old lady? They really are typical string of pearl old lady looking jewellery....help!
I got pearls for my 18th present from my parents, I wanted them. They are special so I dont wear them all the time but I wore them when I got married, have worn them out too

I personally don't think they are old, or dress up ish. Don't wear the whole set together, more just the bracelet or ear rings. Or the neck lace by itself so it's not so full on.

It was a lovely present, I'm sure they thought long and hard but if u honestly don't like them and they are very good friends unshoukd be able t tell them the truth

Madison Jade 28.08.06 & Kobyn James 20.06.08

I wouldn't be able to tell her you don't like them but it is up to you. I am only 20 and I have a pearl necklace and earings and even a ring. I really love them. They aren't the really round pearls if you know what I mean. The necklace a buissnes man/friend brought for me for dh and mine's engagement it was worth like $5000. So maybe thats why I like it lol. I don't think they look old but if your not to sure don't wear them all together. You could just wear the earings by themself and wear the necklace next time you go out.. And then the braclet later on. Well thats me but I love pearls!!!!

actually pearls are starting to make a bit of a comeback.... put the necklace and the bracelet around your wrist and wear them like that...

is it long enough to be knotted...

you can wear pearls anywere just put them on under a teeshirt and you will get used to them.... also if you can knot them you can put the knot behind and make a chocker out of it...
Pearls are so beautiful and classy, they are no longer just grandma jewellery.
I'm sure you could find an outfit they look nice with, like pp said don't wear the whole set at once, and I think that you would seem ungrateful if you told them you didn't like their thoughtful gift. I wouldn't tell them, just my opinion though!
Tough call. Im with you Im not a pearl fan at all for the same reasons.

Personally I wouldnt tell them but at the same time if their such good friends they should know your style.

Maybe, as the PP said, just wear bits at a time and only around them. Then make up some elaborate story that they got stolen, broken, lost somewhere down the track.
I think what put me off was putting on the whole set, i will try to wear just one peice at a time and hope they grow on me...i dont dress up a heap so if they ask why i dont wear them a lot i guess i could just say they dont really go with what i usually wear and i will wear them when i dress up, and maybe i just might! Thanks for your replies, you have given me more confidence that pearls are not just seen as older womans jewellery smile
I wouldn't tell them that you don't like them.

You have the perfect excuse when Bub is born of why you are not wearing them. Babies LOVE to grab and pull things especially knecklaces. You could say you are not wearing them because you don't want bub to break it when bub grabs them. Tell them you have put them away for safe keeping until bubs is older. You could use this excuse until bub is 2 or 3 years old.
Leeuwin you are a genius lol

I wouldn't tell them that you don't like them.

You have the perfect excuse when Bub is born of why you are not wearing them. Babies LOVE to grab and pull things especially knecklaces. You could say you are not wearing them because you don't want bub to break it when bub grabs them. Tell them you have put them away for safe keeping until bubs is older. You could use this excuse until bub is 2 or 3 years old.

Thats a good idea!! I wanted to add, they may have decided on pearls because they dont really 'date', they've been around forever and are a classic so can be worn with a range of things, so instead of getting you something you probably wont wear in 20 years time, this is something you can! And its special and a reminder of your pregnancy smile
i would just say you are not comfortable wearing them as you are afraid you will lose them and you are saving them for a special occasion.

Apologies for my replies, hope they make sense. I am usually typing one handed or interrupted halfway through wink

I feel incredibly ungrateful about this but my friend and her husband got me a set of pearls (necklace, bracelet and earings) for an early baby shower pressie. It was such a sweet thing for them to do but I really dont think i will wear them coz I feel a bit like a old grandma when i put them on, or like im a playing dress ups or something, its just not my style at all. Its such a shame coz it was such a lovely thing for them to go and get me a present like that and i feel really special that they thought to do it for me. But now i dont know what to do, coz they said to me that they are not to be put away for a special occasion and i have to wear them, but i really dont think i will! And i see them all the time so they will notice if i am not wearing them... do i tell them.......i dont know if i can bring myself to actually tell them....i think they will be offended.........do you like pearls? Do you think they are old lady? They really are typical string of pearl old lady looking jewellery....help!

I wouldnt say anything, just keep them in Jewellery box and if you have a girl pass them on?? Dont see the point in saying anything
Sign in to follow this topic