Huggies Forum

Need advice on what to do Lock Rss

We currently live in Broome and as of June this year we are being transferred to Perth. We have a house in Perth that is about 12 years old and is a 4bed 2 bath home which we renovated before we left so it is nice. It is in a nice street with nice neighbours but the suburb it is in is not so good and the local school that we fall into is not good. If we stay in this house we will own it in about 5 years time but the issue is schooling. We have a 4 and a half year old(DS) and a 2 year old(DD). I am trying to get DS into kindy but given that kindy is non compulsary and the local kindy class at the school is full he can't go there. I am trying private schools but he is not baptised/christined and you pretty much have to have your kid on the wait list since birth that is not being successful especially given the short notice. Day care kindy is looking like the only option until he gets to compulsory school age.

Our other option is we have a small block of land almost 100% mortgaged in a great suburb in a highly desirable public school zones in Perth. Given that it is a small block we will need to build a 2 storey house and by the time it is built and then with carpets and curtains etc etc it will cost us about $350,000. We will be able to manage this mortgage but it will mean we will have to budget and watch what we spend. Also we have family that live the other side of Australia so no matter where we live we have to budget for travel at least once a year to see them. Also, my DD needs HEAPS of speech therapy and after living here where there is basically no speech therapy we will be taking her to see private speech therapist heaps to hopefully get her to talk. Also, I can't get DS into this kindy as they are full but if we lived in the area and was of compulsory school age they would have to take him.

So, my question is would you live in the cheaper nice (I actually really like the house) which will be mortgage free in 5 years in a not so good area and try to get the kids into some kind of good private school or would you build on the block in a great area and in a great school zone but have a large mortgage and have to watch money??????????
Mortgage free in five years, in a house that you like sounds very attractive to me. Am I allowed to ask what the suburb is? What was it like living there, when you lived there before? Any trouble?

We currently live in Broome and as of June this year we are being transferred to Perth. We have a house in Perth that is about 12 years old and is a 4bed 2 bath home which we renovated before we left so it is nice. It is in a nice street with nice neighbours but the suburb it is in is not so good and the local school that we fall into is not good. If we stay in this house we will own it in about 5 years time but the issue is schooling. We have a 4 and a half year old(DS) and a 2 year old(DD). I am trying to get DS into kindy but given that kindy is non compulsary and the local kindy class at the school is full he can't go there. I am trying private schools but he is not baptised/christined and you pretty much have to have your kid on the wait list since birth that is not being successful especially given the short notice. Day care kindy is looking like the only option until he gets to compulsory school age.

Our other option is we have a small block of land almost 100% mortgaged in a great suburb in a highly desirable public school zones in Perth. Given that it is a small block we will need to build a 2 storey house and by the time it is built and then with carpets and curtains etc etc it will cost us about $350,000. We will be able to manage this mortgage but it will mean we will have to budget and watch what we spend. Also we have family that live the other side of Australia so no matter where we live we have to budget for travel at least once a year to see them. Also, my DD needs HEAPS of speech therapy and after living here where there is basically no speech therapy we will be taking her to see private speech therapist heaps to hopefully get her to talk. Also, I can't get DS into this kindy as they are full but if we lived in the area and was of compulsory school age they would have to take him.

So, my question is would you live in the cheaper nice (I actually really like the house) which will be mortgage free in 5 years in a not so good area and try to get the kids into some kind of good private school or would you build on the block in a great area and in a great school zone but have a large mortgage and have to watch money??????????

I'd go the good area and good schools - you have to look at the future of your kids and yeah a nice house that's paid off is good, but doesnt mean much if your kids arent in a good school that you are happy with. They are at school for an awful long time and how they go at school will affect their whole life... that's my take on it.

could you sell this house to have a smaller mortgage if you build?

why is the area not so nice or the school not the best? a nice area and good schooling is important, but so is financial security as you don't want to strain the household with financial stress. maybe there is a compromise?

I would go for financial security. Your kids are young and high school is probably when you really need to look at better schools. So by the time they hit high school you could own your house and have your kids in a top school.
[quote name='mylittleangel' date='05 April 2011 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1302003520' post='2960463'] Mortgage free in five years, in a house that you like sounds very attractive to me. Am I allowed to ask what the suburb is? What was it like living there, when you lived there before? Any trouble? Our house is in East Cannington. It is on the edge of East Cannington and on the boarder or almost Wattle Grove. We live in a nice part of the suburb and we had no trouble there at all. Our Block is in the Rossmoyne High School Zone.
Thanks for all of your replies. It is nice to get other people who have children views on things and what they would do.

could you sell this house to have a smaller mortgage if you build?

why is the area not so nice or the school not the best? a nice area and good schooling is important, but so is financial security as you don't want to strain the household with financial stress. maybe there is a compromise?

If we sold this house it would pay of the block with a bit left over. So basically we would just have the building cost of the new house which because it is a small (387sqm)odd shaped block we will need to build a 2 storey house that will need to be designed to suit our block so the building costs are higher then the average house.
If it was me, I'd stay put, and get the kids names down at the schools that you like. Good luck.
Our house is in East Cannington. It is on the edge of East Cannington and on the boarder or almost Wattle Grove. We live in a nice part of the suburb and we had no trouble there at all.

Our Block is in the Rossmoyne High School Zone.
[/quote]

I live in Seville Grove and we are zoned for Challis, but I don't want the kids in challis (it is seriously right behind me street) and we go to Grovelands, I didn't even get asked what zone we were in when we enrolled the kids.

Is bletchly park (near warton rd) too far to travel? I know it's kinda near cannington. I work in child care, and we have a lot of little ones who go there and they also have a wonderful 4 year old kindy program. They are only a new school (maybe 3 years old) and it is like a private school, without the heavy fees, and I know (through work)_some of the teachers, and they are brilliant.

As for the house situation, I would stay in the nearly paid off house, as someone said earlier, high school is when you really have to pick a good school. But if you can stay in the house you like, and get the kids into a better school that is out of your zone, I say go for it!
I would go with the good suburb. Good schools and nice area for your kids is the main thing. I know people in both Rossmoyne and Cannington and I would much prefer to live in Rossmoyne. Cannington is a bit scary lol
[quote name='Leeuwin' date='05 April 2011 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1302006241' post='2960481'] [quote name='mylittleangel' date='05 April 2011 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1302003520' post='2960463'] Mortgage free in five years, in a house that you like sounds very attractive to me. Am I allowed to ask what the suburb is? What was it like living there, when you lived there before? Any trouble? Our house is in East Cannington. It is on the edge of East Cannington and on the boarder or almost Wattle Grove. We live in a nice part of the suburb and we had no trouble there at all. Our Block is in the Rossmoyne High School Zone. [/quote] I live in Wattle Grove and we love it here. What school would your kids have to go to?

Sign in to follow this topic