Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Baby proofing Rss

We didn't do too much, mostly the power points. But what we did that helped was have a drawer or two in the kitchen that its ok to pull apart - plastics or tea towels etc - then when you are busy in there they can be 'busy' as well. They learn what is their drawer and what is yours.
i found teaching them what they could and couldnt touch an uphill battle.
I found it was much easier for me to move breakables out of reach, baby gate stairs, put locks on cupboards with breakables etc and have a baby who was free to roam and explore than to constantly have to say "no" or "dont touch" and have it go in one little ear and out the other.
plenty of time to teach safety with fragile items etc when they are a little older but when they first start crawling/cruising furniture etc,they are too young and inquisitive and absorbed by their surroundings to care or remember if they aren't suppose to touch the glass ornament sitting at eye level blink
we also had a drawer that DD could pull apart and play with. it had all our tupperware and drink bottles etc and anything that was down low that i didnt want her to touch, had a safety lock on it. problem solved - my good crockery stays in one piece and she doesn't get hurt or in trouble.

i found teaching them what they could and couldnt touch an uphill battle.
I found it was much easier for me to move breakables out of reach, baby gate stairs, put locks on cupboards with breakables etc and have a baby who was free to roam and explore than to constantly have to say "no" or "dont touch" and have it go in one little ear and out the other.
plenty of time to teach safety with fragile items etc when they are a little older but when they first start crawling/cruising furniture etc,they are too young and inquisitive and absorbed by their surroundings to care or remember if they aren't suppose to touch the glass ornament sitting at eye level blink

Thats how we manage it with our dd. I love that we can set things up so she has limited rules. We just sectioned of the lounge room with gates and close any doors to other rooms. It gives her a large area to roam and play. From the kitchen I can see the lounge area and so I can cook and dd can play safely. We have no need to baby proof/make safe the kitchen because its a no go area at this stage of dd life. It also saves me a lot of stress.

When she comes into any other room of the house she is taught that some things are not for her to touch.

Im happy to admit I dont want to have to tell her no any more then I have to. Being my last baby I am cherishing every little smile and giggle. With my first child I was much more focused on what I thought was parenting the right way. I was much stricter and now I suppose Im just trying to catch every glimse of her while she is so young.
Sign in to follow this topic