Huggies Forum

Wedding Wishing Well Lock Rss

Hi Everyone,

We are going to a wedding next month and the bride and groom are having a wishing well.

It is a family members wedding but we only see them at family events. Uf there are no family events where all relatives are invited we would probably only see her say 2-3 times a year. When we had our children she did'nt visit and we probably would do the same, that's how not close we are to her. She is a great girl but just not a close relative.

How much money would you put in the card for their wishing well? We don't want to seem cheap and we don't want to go overboard.

The wedding is at a bowling club and the ceremony is a 45 minute drive away. Not that that makes a diffence.

We hav'nt been to a wedding for ages where the bride and groom have had a wishing well smile

Proud Mummy

We put $50 in my cousin's wishing well. I would have liked to have put more, as she and I have been pretty close... but because we're close she understood that we couldn't afford any more!! I figure a nice towel set would be around $80-$100 so maybe that sort of money (that's what I buy pretty much everyone for a wedding present!! You can't have too many towels, right?!? laugh )
I think $50 is a nice amount
we always give $100 ($50 each) to friends and family. $200 to really close friends and family.
$50 is ok depends on how much you can afford.... we have 3 kids and i have been on maternaty leave so money has been tight but now i am back at work...

basically don't go without so that you look good by putting the money in , just put it in a card wishing them well.....

I would only spend about $50 on a present anyway..... basically because thats prob all we could afford for the past few years... if your in a better situation financally give more..
As a minimum, put in enough to cover the meal....for the both of you.

That is how we do it...good luck

We had a wishing well at our wedding and we didn't mind at all how much people put in. I know it's easy for me to say it to you but it's true!! We were given amounts ranging between $20 and $300. Whenever I've gone to a wedding with a wishing well, I've always thought that $50 (or the amount I would have spent on a gift) was a good figure but we'd give more if the person was really close or family, or if we could afford it at the time.

The other thing is, we sent little anonymous envelopes with our invites so people didn't have to put the money in their card so they didn't feel like they had to give more so they didn't seem like a tight a#$$e, IYKWIM?!? You could put the money in an unmarked envelope and into the wishing well at the reception if you're wanting to stay anonymous, and write in the card "donation made to wishing well".

Have a great time at the wedding. I love weddings!

I guess the anonymous thing is good in one respect but from another angle why put in much when the bride and groom dont know who gave what? Not that you want alot but from the givers perspective if I gave $200 into a well I'd want to be thanked for it... how do you go thanking people when you dont know who gave you what or even if people contributed at all?
We had a wishing well at our wedding, close family gave us betwen $100 & $300 friends and distant relatives gave $50, I normally put $100 in at weddings unless we are really close to the couple.
I would give $50 that sounds fair.
With our wishing well, we were given anything from $20 to $50 which was great. My uncle gave us $1000 cheque cause there was 5 adults and plus we close family.

I guess the anonymous thing is good in one respect but from another angle why put in much when the bride and groom dont know who gave what? Not that you want alot but from the givers perspective if I gave $200 into a well I'd want to be thanked for it... how do you go thanking people when you dont know who gave you what or even if people contributed at all?

The anonymous thing is a great idea.

& if i was giving $200 i would put it in a card with my name in it, i wouldnt use the anonymous envelope - it is only there as an option for those that want to use it.
We got between $50 to $200 from people. We didnt expect to get as much as we did and i think $50 is still generous. We were just glad people showed up.
And everyone put there names on there cards which was great, as i'll be buying a folder or something to put them in
Just my point of view but i would not have a wishing well.
I find it a bit rude to ask for money at a wedding.
Sign in to follow this topic