Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

I am at the end of my rope Lock Rss

Ok so Pumba (soon to be 5) is my energiser - and that is a nice way to put it... well of late his behaviour has been getting worse and worse as has his sleeping. So from 7:30 until about 12:30 is a fight every night no matter what routine I try to put in place he just looses the plot and spends the whole time screaming and kicking things and just FULL ON

Well for the past couple of days he has been starting this by about 3:30pm so today amongst all the rush for people to get their last minute shopping I had to go to the shops (dropped D's formula and in the process of trying to save that knocked over the whole tin - also had to get bread - that was covered in the formula) so went in and I swear we were there for maybe 10 minutes and Pumba had a melt down screaming with tears pouring down his face kicking everything he could get his foot to and of course this set of D who become very distressed at the whole commotion and I could not just leave because I had to get the formula... so the car was full of screams the whole way home with me being kicked in the back of the seat every 5 seconds. With in about 10 minutes of being home Pumba was asleep and D followed about 20 minutes later. After about an hour D woke up crying so got him out and settled and Pumba come out about 30 minutes later still wound up and angry, I was trying to reason with him and calm him but he was having non of it, he ended up settling and we got ready to go out for the night (thought would be nice to stay at my mums for easter bunny surprise in the morning) Pumba did not stop the whole time we were there and there was no reasoning with him, at 10 past 12 I had enough and put him screaming into the car and bought them home, so I am out here in tears, D seems to have just gone to sleep and Pumba is still in there going off his head.

I just do not know what to do, D will be up around 3:30 and then I can normally get him to go back off for another hour or 2, but Pumba will be up again between 4:30 and 6 and the whole thing starts again

I have tried time out, reasoning, explanations, compromise, bribing everything you can think of and I am so at the end of my rope, I am now questioning myself on every little thing and it sucks

I still have not got any of the easter eggs out and I am strongly considering not getting them out at all sad

Leigha''s little men smile

It's so late honey. I'm only up from being easter bunny tonight.
Just pop those easter eggs out (so you have no regrets in the morning) and go to bed. Sleep will help! Think about it after you've gotten some rest.

It's so late honey. I'm only up from being easter bunny tonight.
Just pop those easter eggs out (so you have no regrets in the morning) and go to bed. Sleep will help! Think about it after you've gotten some rest.

Thanks chick, I think it will be a while yet before my head hits the pillow my oung man is still protesting that he is not tired and that I am mean...

Hiya, sorry to hear you're having a bad night sad

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone, my DD has been carrying on for the last 2hrs refusing to go to bed so I've given in and told her to sit on the lounge and DS won't stop screaming and crying and I have no stuffen idea what's wrong with him lol I've been trying to get him to sleep since 6:30pm and it's now almost 11!! Have tried every possible thing I can think of with both of them and nothing is working. Doesnt help that I've had a whole 5hrs sleep over the last 2 nights grin

Hope your DS improves for you and you can get some sleep and enjoy your day tomorrow!

Hiya, sorry to hear you're having a bad night sad

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone, my DD has been carrying on for the last 2hrs refusing to go to bed so I've given in and told her to sit on the lounge and DS won't stop screaming and crying and I have no stuffen idea what's wrong with him lol I've been trying to get him to sleep since 6:30pm and it's now almost 11!! Have tried every possible thing I can think of with both of them and nothing is working. Doesnt help that I've had a whole 5hrs sleep over the last 2 nights grin

Hope your DS improves for you and you can get some sleep and enjoy your day tomorrow!

OMG this sounds like me only I am sure I have had about 6hrs over the past 2 nights (broken though as it was) I hope you get some rest soon x

have you thought about taking him to the doctor to just get checked out to rule out anything physical that might be affecting him?

Hows his diet?

Has anything happened recently in his life that may have affected him emotionally?

I hope it sorts itself out soon you poor thing.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Hi i hope u got some sleep... I'm not in the same boat but my mum was growing up.
my brother sounded like your son 2 a T.
In the end it was his diet.. Not that he was unhealthy just certain food set him off eg... Sugar,msg in food, dairy and heaps of other things anyway my mum took alot of foods away from him replacing it with the right food of corse and he was a totally different kid he did grow out of it in the end...
I would take him 2 get checked out.. I think I was a lot of trial and error 4 mum but she got it sorted and I hope u can 2... In the mean time sending big hugs your way
just to let you all know that he has been taken to the doctor on several occasions and last time we went (not for him but he was there) just his behaviour and the way that he was the doctor wants to run a couple of tests on him, one of which he does at 5 and the other is done when he is at school.

I am just trying to find strategies for how I can help him here (and help myself and every one around him) to just stop and listen - it is a concern for me that he is still a real hyper and goes to school next year. I have 9 months to get on top of it....

thanks for your replies, he did end up going down and i got to bed at 10 past 2, he was happier this morning but will be tired later as he was up before 6...

Hope you all have a wonderful day smile

So sorry to hear that you're having such a struggle!
I was worn out just reading about it sad

Not on the same level, but my DS went thru some issues when I started work back in December.. nothing we did would make him stay in his bed to sleep the whole night thru - he'd end up in our bed every time.. I let him stay most of the time because we all ended up getting some sleep.

Finally in Feb I had enough of it and was planning on going to the Dr to get something to make him sleep without waking..
Went to the chemist first to see if there was anything over the counter.. they could only suggest Brauer Child Sleep remedy..

Was desperate and a fair bit cynical, but gave it a go.
Nothing changed the first two nights, but on night three DS slept the whole night without waking!!!
It was bliss!
We kept giving it to him every night for the next few weeks and he was sleeping really well... which meant, aside from DD waking, I was getting good sleep too!

We haven't been using it for a little while, but he has been sleeping quite well without it.
Last night he was silly, so will have to get some more and start again.

I was so happy that it actually worked grin

They also have the Calm remedy, so perhaps it might be worth giving them a go??

All the best chick - I hope you can all get some peace and quiet soon..

just to let you all know that he has been taken to the doctor on several occasions and last time we went (not for him but he was there) just his behaviour and the way that he was the doctor wants to run a couple of tests on him, one of which he does at 5 and the other is done when he is at school.

I am just trying to find strategies for how I can help him here (and help myself and every one around him) to just stop and listen - it is a concern for me that he is still a real hyper and goes to school next year. I have 9 months to get on top of it....

thanks for your replies, he did end up going down and i got to bed at 10 past 2, he was happier this morning but will be tired later as he was up before 6...

Hope you all have a wonderful day smile

Speak to your doctor and ask if the doctor will prescribe some kind of sleeping medication for 3 or 4 days. It sounds like he is way over tired and he needs heaps more sleep than 4 to 6 hours per night. Maybe his behaviour is just over tiredness? It is hard when they get over tired as they seem to fight sleep even more so that makes them even more tired and grumpy.
Dont you hate it when you type up a huge response, put the lappy down to answer the door and come back and *poof* its gone lol.
Anyway I totally sympathise with you especially the shopping trip stuff.

Do you think there is something underlying causing the sleep issues? Has he been seen by a paed? Have you sat down and spoken to him to see if he can tell you why he doesnt want to or cant fall asleep? Even see if he can draw it. It might not be a choice for him IYKWIM. Miss A used to be a greaat sleeper and recently has become a disaster. Miss A does have sensory issues and ASD and for her this is the cause of why she cant settle easy at night.
All kids are different but I will share some of the techniques I know others have had sucess with and some I have found successful.
*Reduce stimulation for atleast an hour before bed (turn off TV)
*Warm milk with a little honey to help relax a little brain
*Brauer Child Sleep remedy
*lavender sleep stick
*Weighted blanket its used alot in the special needs community and it feels kinda like being held and helps soothe and settle kids.
For Miss A we have found a really strict bed routine is very important...not the time she goes to bed but the mechanics ~ sit on the lounge with her cup of milk, say goodnight to Dad, go to bed, Me naming and pointing to all her sleep toys in order (roll call) changing her, me saying goodnight, turn her fan on low walk out, light out and shut the door. If that routine is disturbed OMG its hell not just for her to fall asleep but she wakes during the night and gets up early as a result too.
We have found a vibrating massager helps calm her during the day, she holds it to her chest. And finally music...music is her thing lol we have a cd player in her room that is on all day which had reduced our meltdowns by about half. And we have an MP3 player we take shopping for her, that helps cut out the noise of the shops that seems to trigger her.

I hope you find something soon to help his sleep patterns
Hugs Ness

I dont think you are alone.. I swear my four and a half yo has PMT at the moment.. he is such a princess... tantrums plus!
Sign in to follow this topic