Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Do you sell/have you sold on ebay?

Do you sell/have you sold on ebay? Lock Rss

I have SOOO many kids clothes in various sizes... and don't have anybody to hand them down to. I was just going to send them to vinnies/salvos but DH said not to. He is a mechanic and those stores give the company he works for bales of clothes etc... to use as rags, the things DH has brought home for the kids out of those bales are far from rags!!! DH doesn't want the kids clothes used for grease rags!

I thought I could sell them cheaply on ebay?

I have bought off ebay, just a couple of small things with no issues.

Whats your experience?

I've read the section on ebay about selling, but was hoping for some personal feedback from someone...

Ta Helenxoxo
i certainly have bought of ebay lots but never sold. so no help there!

but, a lot of people are starting the facebook garage sale pages. i think they are a bit better to ebay because you dont have to pay listing fees and word of mouth means you are generally selling to people who actually want to buy the stuff. if you put it in bulk packs of sizes or something im sure people would jump at it!

or you could use gumtree. its similar to ebay but local stuff and again, no listing fees grin

best of luck

i certainly have bought of ebay lots but never sold. so no help there!

but, a lot of people are starting the facebook garage sale pages. i think they are a bit better to ebay because you dont have to pay listing fees and word of mouth means you are generally selling to people who actually want to buy the stuff. if you put it in bulk packs of sizes or something im sure people would jump at it!

or you could use gumtree. its similar to ebay but local stuff and again, no listing fees grin

best of luck

Thanks i'll look into those options.

Helenxoxo
Yars, big time buyer and seller smile

At the moment, they have free 99c listings with free gallery (worth 59c). This means for nada you can list items that you would not mind selling for this price and only pay ebay the commission if you sell. In that case, I would mostly list single or pairs of items, unless you really want to just get rid of stuff.

I sell anything sale-able as soon as DS2 is done with it. Most things, I get a fair price, sometimes people get a bargain, sometimes I say WTF? with what people pay for second hand goods.

Some tips:

For your own ease of listing, use pre-paid satchels in the 500g and 3kg sizes where possible.
If you can, always offer free pick up.
Always combine postage for multiple puchases (I just inisit they ask me for a postage cost as not all items can fit in the smaller bag).
You can check 'completed' listings via the advanced search options to get an idea of what things will sell for.
If you are, always flag your items come from a smoke and pet free home.

I hate waste, and like you, some stuff is in almost brand new condition and it is nice to see it go on to another good home - reducing your carbon footprint while making a bit of money for ones oroton bag problem never goes astray wink

Good luck

I would definitely recommend the facebook page too....no fees at all and easy peasy to set up.

Free listing on ebay though is a good thing because you get to so many more people that way.

You could also put a thing on here in the promote your own business section, or even in general, letting people know you have stuff for sale and if they are interested to pm you and you could send them some pics. Just another option smile
I have bought kids clothes off eBay but I only every look at clothing bundles because you get lots if items with only one postage cost. If you only by 1 item plus postage I don't think it works out to be much of a saving unless the clothing is quite expensive new.
I have sold babies clothes on ebay but found I never really got much for them so I am waiting to have a garage sale and sell them then.
we just sold the kids last season clothes and made $150, but it did cost us $50 in fees as it was about 15 separate listings. i still consider it pretty good and i have respent the money getting the kids new shoes for winter and dh a book.

i have never had any issues with it aside from a couple of dud buyers. your audience is a lot wider than facebook too.
Oh and if you are on facebook, in the search part type in your suburb and buy sell (so for example if you are in bendigo type in "Bendigo buy sell") and it will bring up the local buy/swap/sell group - most towns/suburbs have them set up. They are also a fabulous way to sell stuff on, and again no fees and most people pick the stuff up so you don't have to mess around with postage smile
I go to local market.$20 stall fee, and I make $200 - $500 every time. I sell everything! Toys, kids clothes (reasonably priced $2 a piece, bit more for nice stuff) bric-a-brac, older ladies stuff (from my mum and nan). Cleans the house out and I get a half day off smile. I just have several of those big tubs,when they're full do a market day. Have not bought second hand from e-bay myself. Although I do browse garage sale links on here, I can't be assed when I get them from op-shops, or markets myself. I would never do a kids market again. Too much of the same stuff.
Hi!
I love eBay selling. If you decide to go with the eBay option, I recommend doing them in little bundles like 5-6 items of the same size and gender together and start them at like $8. Put some of the really good outfits on their own and start at 99c. And my advice is have a few listings at once and make a note at the bottom of your descriptions to look at your other items great buys and offer to combine postage. I always have more success when I have 4+ listings on a the same time.
Also set the default to make your auction end at 8pm on Thur, Fri or Sun. These are really high traffic nights and most people get paid at the end of the week so they are a bit more flush for spending.
Good luck...Warning: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! smile
Sign in to follow this topic