Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Anyone with 4/5 and 2/3 yr olds and doing swimming lessons

Anyone with 4/5 and 2/3 yr olds and doing swimming lessons Lock Rss

For the 4/5 year olds. What level are they in and how long have they been doing swimming lessons for? What size pool are they swimming in? What strokes can they do/are learning and how well can they do them? Have they or are they learning the correct breathing with the strokes? Do they dive into the water? Anything else you can tell me about your child would be great.
For the 2/3 year old. What level are they in and does your swim school let them fall in the water from a sitting position turn around and swim back to the wall on their own?
Thanks
DD is 3 and has been in swimming since she was about 9 months old.

She was in "Beginner One" which is the first level being in the pool without the parent.
At the swim school i went to it was Water Confidence 1,2, and 3, then at 3 years of age they are eligible to go to Beginner One.
At Beginner One level she was falling from a sitting position and turning and swimming back to the wall.
She was also able to swim the width of the pool (3 metres maybe?) unaided, she could float on her back with some support using a kick board, she was able to kick and paddle simultaneously and had just started doing "six kicks change" which is the beginnings of freestyle stroke.
She was able to retrieve items from the bottom of the pool with a little help to get down there, and was able to hold her breath under water for a substantial amount of time (easily 10 seconds or more)

i have just pulled her from the swim school she was in to start at one with friends of ours and we have our first lesson there tomorrow so its going to be interesting to see the differences.
But by 2 and a half i was confident that my DD would be able to "rescue" herself should she fall into a pool.
[quote name='M2A+1ontheway' date='28 April 2011 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1303984889' post='2977503'] DD is 3 and has been in swimming since she was about 9 months old. She was in "Beginner One" which is the first level being in the pool without the parent. At the swim school i went to it was Water Confidence 1,2, and 3, then at 3 years of age they are eligible to go to Beginner One. At Beginner One level she was falling from a sitting position and turning and swimming back to the wall. She was also able to swim the width of the pool (3 metres maybe?) unaided, she could float on her back with some support using a kick board, she was able to kick and paddle simultaneously and had just started doing "six kicks change" which is the beginnings of freestyle stroke. She was able to retrieve items from the bottom of the pool with a little help to get down there, and was able to hold her breath under water for a substantial amount of time (easily 10 seconds or more) i have just pulled her from the swim school she was in to start at one with friends of ours and we have our first lesson there tomorrow so its going to be interesting to see the differences. But by 2 and a half i was confident that my DD would be able to "rescue" herself should she fall into a pool.[quote] Thanks for that. I just had a trial at a new swim school with the kids today and I am happy with most of it but it is very different. They are in a smaller pool which I think is going to be better for DD (Almost 5) as she had a lot more confidence today than she normally does and when she finished she told me she wasn't afraid at all during the lesson. I asked her why and she said because the pool was smaller. She has been doing swimming lessons at the one place for about 18months now and it's only about the past 2 months that her confidence has gone down and I don't know why. With DS (almost 3) the lesson is pretty much the same as he currently does. The only thing they didn't do was falling in and going back to the wall, which he does at his current swim school.
Hi

I have a 5 and 6 year old.

My 6yr old was swimming freestyle and backstroke by 4. But he hated his lessons so I took him out sad

I actually wish I hadn't have now. He just started swimming lessons again last term and had to start from scratch again (was only swimming around our backyard pool in between). He has however picked the strokes back up pretty quickly and is this term being moved up to a mini squad where they start doing laps of the 25m pool

My 5 year old is a natural frog kicker. He languished at swimming lessons as a toddler trying to learn to swim freestyle stroke and never progressed (even though he could swim like a fish around out swimming pool at 2yrs of age). He too has only just re-started swimming lessons last term and his instructor is brilliant. She has taught him breaststroke first as she says that is his natural stroke. It's helped him so much and now he is currently learning freestyle and backstroke

For the 4/5 year olds. What level are they in and how long have they been doing swimming lessons for? What size pool are they swimming in? What strokes can they do/are learning and how well can they do them? Have they or are they learning the correct breathing with the strokes? Do they dive into the water? Anything else you can tell me about your child would be great.
For the 2/3 year old. What level are they in and does your swim school let them fall in the water from a sitting position turn around and swim back to the wall on their own?
Thanks

I have both a 4 1/2 year old and a 2 year old in swimming...
My oldest has been doing swimming lessons since 4 months old. Our swim school has funny names for stages I think the one hes in now is called Goldfish so that wont really help you lol, its about a stage 1 i think, he has done all the baby stages but there is several of those and then sometimes they do the older ones at about 3 a couple times too til they get things perfected, the stage he is in now is less games and more focus on kicks and arm movements and breathing so this is where it gets more difficult trying to combine all these now lol...yes they also are learning diving too though he prefers to jump lol

my 2 year old is in an aqua toddler stage, she started swimming at about 9/10 months old, she has repeated a couple prior to this one as she has two scares over summer where she fell into a pool (two different times at different places believe it or not we were right next to her both times literally a matter of blink and you missed it)...hence she developed a fear of the water, stopped putting her head under and is still getting over that a little now, slowly getting her back to her head under but have noticed she hates the times where they "fall" into the water which may have something to do with that fear...but yes ordinarily it would be letting them enter the water on their own then turn around and swim back if they can, sometimes depending on child they can and some need a helping hand to catch them or turn around and give them that little push back to the edge

HTH smile

I have been a swimming teacher for 9 years. PM me if you want to ask me anything specific. I have a lot of experience in teaching babies, toddlers and school aged kids, and I have developed several new strategies through teaching my own children.

My kids are aged 1/2 and 2/3.

2/3 can swim on her own with breathing when she needs, jump in and return to the wall, somersault, be thrown into the deep end then turn around and find me again, be pushed to the bottom and turn around and find me again.
2cheekymonkeys the reason i changed DD from her swimming lessons is for the exact same as you.
She was always "top" of her class, progressing well above her age and always blowing us away with how well she could swim then at the start of this year she just started going backwards. Didnt want to go, didnt like the teacher, cried all the time, said the other kids were too rough, just making up any excuse she could to not get in the pool which really upset me because she used to LOVE it and was fantastic at it and to see all the other kids overtaking her with skill level and her just not improving was disheartening.
So i gave her a month off and then changed her to this new place where a friend of ours takes her DD and so far so good, there were no tears and she seemed to really enjoy herself.

hopefully it continues to go well at the new place for yours too!
Sign in to follow this topic