Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Dummies Lock Rss

Just want to know everyones thoughts on dummies...

Are you for or against them? and why?
Before I had kids I was anti-dummy. No child of mine was having a dummy blah blah blah. Ah the "wisdom" of the childless smile

Then reality hit. My DD was a very efficient feeder, she'd finish in 10 minutes but she wasn't finished her desire/need for "sucking" so she would keep going, getting way more milk than her tummy could handle then projectile vomiting the excess milk etc. It also played havoc with my supply as it was stimulating milk production that she just didn't need or actually want. Someone suggested I try a dummy for her to get the sucking time she wanted and against my personal views I decided to try it. We haven't looked back since smile. Once she was past the need for sucking I did limit their use to just bedtimes and phased them out by 18 months but I'm so glad I changed my stance on them.

Leisa
I am in favour for them as long as it is used as a comforter not an all day thing. I dislike seeing dummies in mouths because of habit rather than need, having said that who am I to say a child does not need one if their parents feel that they do?? Personal choice really.

There area moments with bubs where we tried (ie after feeding) because he had reflux and we were trying to keep his feed down...

Bubs did not take to the dummy and either spat it out or tossed it across the cot/room. But it was good for the time he had it in!

I am in favour for them as long as it is used as a comforter not an all day thing. I dislike seeing dummies in mouths because of habit rather than need, having said that who am I to say a child does not need one if their parents feel that they do?? Personal choice really.

There area moments with bubs where we tried (ie after feeding) because he had reflux and we were trying to keep his feed down...

Bubs did not take to the dummy and either spat it out or tossed it across the cot/room. But it was good for the time he had it in!

Reflux is exactly why I put this post up. Plunket nurse has suggested we try one. I'm on the fence and partner doesn't want one... thought a pros and cons list would help. smile
FOR
I think they are a great comforter.

I would prefer my child to have a dummy than suck their thumb. You can get rid of a dummy ...

Personally however my absolute age limit for my kids having a dummy was 2yrs of age
I think it depends on the child. Our first had one because she seemed to need one for comfort and she didnt get rid of it until she was about 3 and a half. She didnt have it consantly when she was older but it was just something she needed. Her speech and teeth are perfect so it has had no bad affect on her that way and when she was ready she got rid of it.

Our second daughter never had one as she was always really mellow and still is, we gave one to our third because she was a comfort sucker too and it was killing me. the only way she would calm down was a feed and when you have two other young ones to look after it is very hard to be sitting around all day and up all night being used as a human dummy!!

do whatever you feel is best for you and your child i personally dont think it has a bad affect on them in anyway from my experience.

Good luck
Im for! i had the same problem with DS as Leisah had. By the age of 8 mths, Ds only had his for nap time and bedtimes and gave them up just before he turned two ( i think) Also my neice was a finger sucker, untill she was about 6 or so. Her fingers are a little deformed now and she needs braces on her teeth, and DS started sucking the same fingers and i didnt want him to have to go through that!

We've always been a dummy family here smile

DD did get quite attached to hers but we made her get rid of it before she turned three - she would just chew holes in them and gnaw on them.
A few tanties later and we were free of them - yay!!

DS was going strong, but then at around 18 months or so he decided he didn't want them anymore, so that was easy.

DD2 is still going. I think she's starting to get a little too attached tho, but we'll deal with that when we need/want to.

I'm all for the dummy here but I only use it for bed times as it's a comfort thing and it helps her go to sleep. DD usually spits it out about half an hour into her nap anyway.
I am definitely for dummies! Love them! All of my kids had them, it was not hard at all to wean the older three off their dummies, now I only have one with a dummy and I'm not about to take it away, considering how difficult it is to get her to sleep, and to stay asleep - and she is 16 months old! All my kids have good teeth and speech, with the exception of the baby who doesn't speak much yet, and doesn't have many teeth!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

For

unless your baby is 5 & at school

We had 1 dummy user & 1 that couldnt work out how to use the dummy... LOL
I am for them, if your baby wants one smile

Before we had kids both DH and I were anti dummy - without really knowing why! I think there is a perception that dummies are bad, but the reality is babies like to suck, it is very comforting and sucking is the only way a baby can self soothe. Dummies are not bad for them, unless used round the clock for many years therefore hindering speech development and I dont think kids need to have them in their mouth all day long, whether content or not - just for the sake of it.

If used to comfort or as a sleep aid I'm all for them, the cutest thing ever is a baby smunching away on their dummy, content as can be.

My first had her dummy till age 3, she just loved it. She only had it for sleep or if she was very distressed.

My second didnt want a dummy at all.

It has been proven that dummies do not affect teeth unless used beyond school age, so around 5 years of age so that "argument" is a big fat myth.
Sign in to follow this topic