Huggies Forum

Where to give Birth! Lock Rss

Living out in the countryside away from civilization and 4 months pregnant is a worry to me at the moment!
I can have a homebirth with my 2 midwives or drive an hour to a maternity ward-whilst in labour.....where there are still no doctors but a helicopter to get you to a hospital in 10minutes in case of an emergency.
The thought of having to be driven to the maternity ward in labour for 45-60 minutes is scary, what if i dont make it and have the baby in the car!(i had a very quick birth with my first child)...But then the thought of anything going wrong at home and needing medical help and being nearly 2 hours from a hospital is nerve wrecking too!....Do you live in the countryside? Where did you give birth and what would you do???
I live in a rural community as well with hospital about an hour away (unless I hit trafic >.<). I am defenately not brave enough to give birth at home, simply due to worry about complications. If I do get complications our area doesn't have skills to deal with it, what will I do then?

My plan is to go early than recomended to hospital, so if my contractions become regular start going straight away. I rather wait under the hospital than risk it. If I do start giving birth in the car, ambulance can get me the rest of the way to the hospital.

Its a personal choice and would be different to everyone. My best friend gave birth to both of her children at home.

Living out in the countryside away from civilization and 4 months pregnant is a worry to me at the moment!
I can have a homebirth with my 2 midwives or drive an hour to a maternity ward-whilst in labour.....where there are still no doctors but a helicopter to get you to a hospital in 10minutes in case of an emergency.
The thought of having to be driven to the maternity ward in labour for 45-60 minutes is scary, what if i dont make it and have the baby in the car!(i had a very quick birth with my first child)...But then the thought of anything going wrong at home and needing medical help and being nearly 2 hours from a hospital is nerve wrecking too!....Do you live in the countryside? Where did you give birth and what would you do???

I would go to hospital at the first hint of labour starting. Even if it means you are there too early then what is recommended. If you are too early you can always walk around the hospital grounds/ get a coffee/ read a magazine etc whilst you wait for full labour to start.

As for the home birth, I had complications with my first. I was in a birthing suite attached to the hospital so once they realised things weren't right I was taken to theatre and had an emergency C-Section. DS then spent 2 weeks in NICU.

This would be my choice but if you feel confident in your midwives that would be at your house, and if you feel you would be able to relax and trust in their expertise then maybe a home birth is for you. DO WHAT EVER YOUR HEART/6th SENSE IS TELLING YOU.
driving while in labour is a lot of pain with me third i was 45 min from hospital and had to go along rought country roads if it was me i would go to hospital at first sign of labour
Sign in to follow this topic