Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Food alergies Lock Rss

So i know theres a few mums out there who have kids with food intolarances. Im thinking DS may have a gluten intolarance which is flaring up his exzema real bad! I cant be certain but i have looked at everything else. He will be going for a blood test next weekend and go from there.

Has anyone elses little one in the same boat and how young where they when it was confirmed?

DD - 27/08/07 DS - 5/01/10

So i know theres a few mums out there who have kids with food intolarances. Im thinking DS may have a gluten intolarance which is flaring up his exzema real bad! I cant be certain but i have looked at everything else. He will be going for a blood test next weekend and go from there.

Has anyone elses little one in the same boat and how young where they when it was confirmed?

Hi there. A close friend of mine has a daughter who has coeliac disease. It took a long time for the diagnosis though. Apparently a blood test can show up negative for a gluten allergy, but that doesn't mean that the child doesn't have one. My friends DD has to have an endoscopy to confirm coeliac, the whole process took around 6 months I think. Since being on a gluten free diet though, the change in her has been fantastic!!

I have a DD who has severe allergies to dairy, egg and nut. She suffered badly from eczema as a baby. Our Naturopath said there is a common link between dairy and eczema in a lot of children. Eczema is directly related to the digestive system, so there is something in your DS's diet that his gut can not break down effectively, causing the eczema.

I hope you find some answers soon. smile

Oh, edited just to add that my friends DD was 3 years old when it was confirmed.

Hi there. A close friend of mine has a daughter who has coeliac disease. It took a long time for the diagnosis though. Apparently a blood test can show up negative for a gluten allergy, but that doesn't mean that the child doesn't have one. My friends DD has to have an endoscopy to confirm coeliac, the whole process took around 6 months I think. Since being on a gluten free diet though, the change in her has been fantastic!!

I have a DD who has severe allergies to dairy, egg and nut. She suffered badly from eczema as a baby. Our Naturopath said there is a common link between dairy and eczema in a lot of children. Eczema is directly related to the digestive system, so there is something in your DS's diet that his gut can not break down effectively, causing the eczema.

I hope you find some answers soon. smile

Oh, edited just to add that my friends DD was 3 years old when it was confirmed.

Thanks for that smile He had bad excemz as a small baby, but once we found it was a lactose intolarnace and used lacteeze and i switched to goats milk (hes breastfed and still is) it disapeared. So im not sure why 12ish months later its back? Hoping the GP can shed some light on it.

Thanks for that smile He had bad excemz as a small baby, but once we found it was a lactose intolarnace and used lacteeze and i switched to goats milk (hes breastfed and still is) it disapeared. So im not sure why 12ish months later its back? Hoping the GP can shed some light on it.

Does he have dairy in his diet still? Or if he is being breastfed are you eating dairy in your diet? Sounds like if he is lactose intolerance then it is related to dairy.

Does he have dairy in his diet still? Or if he is being breastfed are you eating dairy in your diet? Sounds like if he is lactose intolerance then it is related to dairy.

He doesnt have alot of dairy no, just small amounts of cheese and whatever is in our cooking which i try and use the goats milk with. Now that i think about it i have been pretty lax on my own intake of dairy :S I didnt think hes lactose intolarance was to bad considering goats milk was always fine with him, but maybe it is progressively getting worse?

He doesnt have alot of dairy no, just small amounts of cheese and whatever is in our cooking which i try and use the goats milk with. Now that i think about it i have been pretty lax on my own intake of dairy :S I didnt think hes lactose intolarance was to bad considering goats milk was always fine with him, but maybe it is progressively getting worse?

With the lactose intolerance DD1 went from being able to have half a cup of milk to not being able to even have soy milk, cheese or yogurt so it could be getting worse. My poor girl loves milk but these days all her stomach will tolerate is oat milk. Not sure about the gluten though.

I was under the impression that Goats Milk was free from lactose? My DD is allergic to the protein in milk, so can only have soy, rice or coconut milk.

How old is your DS? Is he old enough to be allergy tested? Unless an anaphylactic reaction occurs, they normally have to be 2 years old. Might be worth looking into it.

Some children grow out of intolerances to certain foods. But on the other end of the scale, the more they are exposed to it, the more severe the reaction can become and it can turn anaphylactic. This is what happened with DD.

With the lactose intolerance DD1 went from being able to have half a cup of milk to not being able to even have soy milk, cheese or yogurt so it could be getting worse. My poor girl loves milk but these days all her stomach will tolerate is oat milk. Not sure about the gluten though.

Oh that would suck poor little mite, did it happen gradually or pretty quick?

I was under the impression that Goats Milk was free from lactose? My DD is allergic to the protein in milk, so can only have soy, rice or coconut milk.

How old is your DS? Is he old enough to be allergy tested? Unless an anaphylactic reaction occurs, they normally have to be 2 years old. Might be worth looking into it.

Some children grow out of intolerances to certain foods. But on the other end of the scale, the more they are exposed to it, the more severe the reaction can become and it can turn anaphylactic. This is what happened with DD.

As far as i understand goats milk still has lactose but its much more easily digested than cows milk, alot finer and more like human milk if that makes sense?
Hes 16months old so i guess that rules him out for allergy testing just yet, maybe he is going the otherway and having a reaction more as he gets older.
Did you have to wait until your DD was 2 to be tested?

As far as i understand goats milk still has lactose but its much more easily digested than cows milk, alot finer and more like human milk if that makes sense?
Hes 16months old so i guess that rules him out for allergy testing just yet, maybe he is going the otherway and having a reaction more as he gets older.
Did you have to wait until your DD was 2 to be tested?

DD had her first anaphylactic reaction before the age of 2, so she was tested early. This is how we were able to determine other allergies that we weren't yet aware of.

One thing that might help is to keep a food diary. Write down everything he eats in a day (and also everything you eat since you are still breastfeeding) and then also write down how bad his eczema is each day and any other symptoms he might have.

It takes a while, but you will start to see a pattern between his flare ups and certain foods.

Oh that would suck poor little mite, did it happen gradually or pretty quick?

Fairly gradually but in bursts at the same time if that makes sense. We realised she was lactose intolerant as a baby but was she pretty fine on minimal cows milk and soy formula but over time it has just got worse and worse. One day it just hit and I had to take cows milk out of her diet completely but she was fine on soy milk and minimal other dairy sources but a few months ago she had another burst and suddenly she could no longer tolerate the soy milk either (she is 4 now).

DD had her first anaphylactic reaction before the age of 2, so she was tested early. This is how we were able to determine other allergies that we weren't yet aware of.

One thing that might help is to keep a food diary. Write down everything he eats in a day (and also everything you eat since you are still breastfeeding) and then also write down how bad his eczema is each day and any other symptoms he might have.

It takes a while, but you will start to see a pattern between his flare ups and certain foods.

Oh no good that would have been scary :S

Thanks for that i shall start a food diary tomorrow hopefully i can start seeing a corelation between the food and flare ups.

Sign in to follow this topic