Huggies Forum

Worried about DH's health... Lock Rss

Ok, so my DH is stuck in a [email protected] job... I think I posted about that once before. We're looking for new jobs for him. Anyway, that's ok, he's dealing with that at the moment - we got a dog, so DH takes him walking every night and I think that's helping him a lot.

Anyway... what I'm actually concerned about is his heart. There's a very strong history in his family of heart disease, FIL has it - he had a bypass op about 6 years ago and a heart attack about 18 months ago. Most of FIL's brothers have it too, two of them died of it when they were fairly young (both were in their 40's I think). He is one of 7, and only two of them don't have heart disease.

DH lately has been saying that he feels strange, like his heart is racing for no apparent reason. I know he's very tired, he works long hours and for the last two weeks he's been starting earlier than usual, so he is short on sleep and that does knock him around a bit. It's just that he's been feeling this way for a while, I've been asking him to go to the doctor but he says it's not that bad. He gets pins and needles in his hands sometimes, and every time he tells me that I freak out because I think he could be having a heart attack... he's sure it's to do with his back, he gets muscle spasms in his back and he think that's what sets off the pins and needles. He seems a little blase about his health and it really scares me... FIL is the same, and would be dead if it weren't for MIL making him see a doctor. DH can see the problems with that, and how nearly he lost his father, but he is the same! Perhaps not quite as bad, but so reluctant to seek medical attention. He's the first aid officer at his work, he's an occupational first aider, but doesn't seem to apply his knowledge to himself.

I nearly punched him the other night, because he said 'well at least my life insurance would pay for the house.' Bad, bad joke honey...

He's 28 years old, so I know he would be very young to have heart disease. He is also healthy for the most part, doesn't drink heavily, doesn't smoke at all, and is not overweight. He exercises regularly and our lifestyle is pretty healthy. So all those things are good... I wouldn't be worried if he didn't have an elevated heart rate. I know his family history is significant, but I don't think it's reason to be paranoid; just aware, that's all.

Does anyone know if an elevated heart rate is a bad sign for an otherwise fit, healthy, active, non-smoking young man?? Or could it just be that he is tired and stressed?
Hey, i am not sure of the answer to your questions.
But if i were you i would get him to the docs anyway you can.
It could be all stressed related, but better to be safe than sorry i say.
Get him there anyway you can, and dont take no for an answer.
Get a complete checkup and then you will both feel better. xx
It may be an anxiety attack rather than a heart attack? Either way get it checked out - good luck smile

Panic attacks, anxiety and stress can make a heart race and even cause the pins and needles things in some people. High blood pressure even. Best to get medical advice to be safe though.
My DH avoids the Dr like crazy, it's ridiculous. I just use the same tactics as with little kids. Come up with a reward/incentive that you know will hook him. With my DH it's - if we go to the Dr's after work we can get Pizza on the way home. He loves pizza and I'm generally not a fan, so it's a rare chance to get his favourite!

It may be an anxiety attack rather than a heart attack? Either way get it checked out - good luck smile

I think I'm the one with the anxiety lol. He's pretty laid back. His job just sucks and that causes him to feel unhappy sometimes. I know he hasn't had a heart attack, I'd have called an ambulance if I thought he was; I worried a bit at the time with his hands feeling the way they were, but he seemed pretty sure it wasn't related. It's just him saying that he feels strange lately is all.

He's had his blood pressure checked recently, it's fine, and his cholesterol is fine too (things like get checked periodically at work).

I will try to get him to go to the doctor... it's like having another kid lol
i'm not sure about any of the symptoms about the heart issue but maybe if you suggest that you go with him to the doctor maybe it will ease his anxiety about going.

it wouldn't hurt to do a check up.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

I would get him to go and see a doctor and get a blood test done to make sure everything is ok there. Get them to check b12 levels. I'm saying this because I went to the doctor today and my levels are low and I have to get injections. I would get the rapid heart rate for no reason, could be sitting down doing nothing. I also would get tingling feeling and I started to lose feeling in my toes. fatigue is also a sign. If you want have a look at www.labtestsonline.org.au/understanding/conditions/vitaminb12-2.html. Sorry not sure how to do the link thing.

Ok, so my DH is stuck in a [email protected] job... I think I posted about that once before. We're looking for new jobs for him. Anyway, that's ok, he's dealing with that at the moment - we got a dog, so DH takes him walking every night and I think that's helping him a lot.

Anyway... what I'm actually concerned about is his heart. There's a very strong history in his family of heart disease, FIL has it - he had a bypass op about 6 years ago and a heart attack about 18 months ago. Most of FIL's brothers have it too, two of them died of it when they were fairly young (both were in their 40's I think). He is one of 7, and only two of them don't have heart disease.

DH lately has been saying that he feels strange, like his heart is racing for no apparent reason. I know he's very tired, he works long hours and for the last two weeks he's been starting earlier than usual, so he is short on sleep and that does knock him around a bit. It's just that he's been feeling this way for a while, I've been asking him to go to the doctor but he says it's not that bad. He gets pins and needles in his hands sometimes, and every time he tells me that I freak out because I think he could be having a heart attack... he's sure it's to do with his back, he gets muscle spasms in his back and he think that's what sets off the pins and needles. He seems a little blase about his health and it really scares me... FIL is the same, and would be dead if it weren't for MIL making him see a doctor. DH can see the problems with that, and how nearly he lost his father, but he is the same! Perhaps not quite as bad, but so reluctant to seek medical attention. He's the first aid officer at his work, he's an occupational first aider, but doesn't seem to apply his knowledge to himself.

I nearly punched him the other night, because he said 'well at least my life insurance would pay for the house.' Bad, bad joke honey...

He's 28 years old, so I know he would be very young to have heart disease. He is also healthy for the most part, doesn't drink heavily, doesn't smoke at all, and is not overweight. He exercises regularly and our lifestyle is pretty healthy. So all those things are good... I wouldn't be worried if he didn't have an elevated heart rate. I know his family history is significant, but I don't think it's reason to be paranoid; just aware, that's all.

Does anyone know if an elevated heart rate is a bad sign for an otherwise fit, healthy, active, non-smoking young man?? Or could it just be that he is tired and stressed?

It very well could be that he's tired and stressed BUT best thing would be a trip to the Dr where they can take his blood pressure and if necessary (especially with the family history) refer him for other tests. Better safe than sorry, sometimes the fear of finding out something you dont want to know stops you from seeking help - better to know and deal with it, and what a relief it would be for you both to find out all is well and put your mind at rest.
HI

I have just gone through something similar with my dad this last week

He has always been healthy. Is fit and lean. The Friday morning just past we got a call to say he'd had a 'turn' and been taken to hospital. His heartrate was irregular and his entire right side got pins and needles and went numb and he was breathless. He also had another same turn over the weekend. They thought at first it was a TIA (mini-stroke)

He has gone for heaps of tests obviously over the last couple of days ... and heard all the horror stories too of it being a warning sign for an imminent heart attack sad

In his case they think it's his blood pressure and he's been put on medication and he needs to have a heart monitor attached for 24hrs and get a MRI also to clear both these things contributing too.

As everyone has said he NEEDS to go get checked out though. You just don't muck around with the heart and I think he needs to exclude this as a cause

Good Luck
Thanks everyone,

I think I will make him go to the doctors, even if I have to bribe him...

BIL is the opposite to DH, he goes to the doctor for everything. His wife complains about him being a hypochondriac lol but at least she doesn't have to worry that he'll try to 'tough it out' when he really needs medical attention! BIL is on blood pressure medication though, he's 33 and has been on it for 5 years. His iron level is also too high (don't know what the consequences of that are).

DH's work run medical exams for the employees, annually I think... they had the last one a few months ago. His blood pressure was fine, and the only issue that came up in the blood test, which has come up in previous ones as well, was his good cholesterol level being too low. I don't think they tested B12 though, I think all they did was the full blood count, cholesterol and possibly iron. I definitely think he needs to be checked out more thoroughly - FIL's cholesterol has never been high and neither has his blood pressure, but he's still got a very serious heart condition.

Thanks everyone,

I think I will make him go to the doctors, even if I have to bribe him...

BIL is the opposite to DH, he goes to the doctor for everything. His wife complains about him being a hypochondriac lol but at least she doesn't have to worry that he'll try to 'tough it out' when he really needs medical attention! BIL is on blood pressure medication though, he's 33 and has been on it for 5 years. His iron level is also too high (don't know what the consequences of that are).

DH's work run medical exams for the employees, annually I think... they had the last one a few months ago. His blood pressure was fine, and the only issue that came up in the blood test, which has come up in previous ones as well, was his good cholesterol level being too low. I don't think they tested B12 though, I think all they did was the full blood count, cholesterol and possibly iron. I definitely think he needs to be checked out more thoroughly - FIL's cholesterol has never been high and neither has his blood pressure, but he's still got a very serious heart condition.

Definatley make him go, I am 19 and have a heart condition! And also, pins and needles can be a really bad sign concerning the heart. It could also mean nothing, but I seriously thinks its better to make him go ASAP!

smile
I'm glad you're going to seek medical help. I just want to get on here and stress how VERY VERY important it is when there is heart disease in the family. You asked for people to share their experience and this is still a very raw topic in our family. My hubby has heart disease in his family and we are very lucky to still have him here today. In January he was getting pins and needles in his hands and a feeling of heart burn that came and went. A blood test confirmed he was having "little" heart attacks and whilst at hospital having tests to confirm it he had a massive heart attack and needed to be revived a couple of times. He immediately had a double bypass and spent 3 days in ICU sedated so his body could recover. I can not stress how important it is to check it out and if it is nothing - GREAT! But in our case we were so lucky to have checked it out and for the worst to happen in hospital otherwise we would have a different story to tell, that much we are sure of. The worst part was our daughter was only 6 months old at the time and I couldn't think of how unfair it would have been for her to have the rest of her life without her Dad. 6 months is just not fair! Something his doctor keeps stressing is there are certain factors he can't change that make him prone to the disease
* he is male
* heart disease is in the family

He has been much better educated thru all of this and he makes it clear not all heart attacks are the same. Some people feel pain in their jaw even, not something that would make you think of a heart attack. research the symptoms and definately get it checked out. I hope it will be a waste of time.

oh and by the way, hubbys cholesterol was fine and in his work he goes for regular medicals and had passed one just 3 months prior. BUT he did smoke and was overweight. We now have a much healthier way of life smile
Sign in to follow this topic