Huggies Forum

Here's an interesting question! Lock Rss

Why do you think people flirt? (attached or single)

A young teen on fb posted a question asking if (constant) flirting (with different people) was wrong. I'm interested to see your answers. smile
I think if your married or in a relationship then no I think flirting is wrong. It can send out a bad signal and who knows what else the other person is thinking. I guess if someone is in a relationship maybe it's for the feeling that they get when someone takes interest in them. Some people might even do it without even realising it or wanting to. If your single I think it's fine as long as the other person is single aswell. I can honestly say that I have never flirted with someone while being with my DH.

I wasn't asking so much whether it's right or wrong (the girl on FB was), but I was curious to know what you think on WHY people flirt. I think, rather than giving a yes or no answer, it's good to look at the reasons behind why people do things...smile
Hmmm it's not something I would do or my dp as I would be one angry woman lol
Dunno suppose some people do it for attention and others to get what they want manipulating them in a sence...
Harmless if your single but can lead to massive trust issues and even cheating if your in a relationship.
I guess some do it to see if they are still attractive to the opposite sex. Usually singles do if they are interested in someone, to get noticed initially.

I agree with Chonnie though, not cool if you are in a relationship. And neither of us have flirted either.
im a crazy flirt! in a relo, out of a relo its all the same lol. but it generally means nothing!

i flirt because it is a boost to my self-esteem, its fun and it makes the other person feel good too. (nothing like a confidence boost when someone flirts with you!)

Hmmm it's not something I would do or my dp as I would be one angry woman lol

Same here..my df will get clocked in the head with a metal baseball bat! laugh
I'm a flirt. lol

I do it because it boosts my ego and makes me feel good. I'm not an insecure person but I love the feeling it gives you that you've still 'got it' when someone flirts back. Not only that... but if we've been out on the town and both got our flirt on, we come home feeling recharged and totally into each other. I don't know why - but it makes us both go mad over each other!!!! LOL

I don't flirt with guys that have girlfriends or wives as I wouldn't want to upset the applecart. But if a married man approached me and flirted in the same manner as hubby and I do I would be fine with it.

My hubby and I totally agree that flirting is ok within our relationship. He flirts when he goes out too but I've noticed girls are generally not all that receptive.. not as much as guys are anyway! We both know that there is a line that can't be crossed... and we both trust each other 100%. Dh especially loves it if I get another girl to come and dance with us. grin

And I'd NEVER flirt with a friends partner. That's just not on.

Might add that if I'm going out WITHOUT dh I don't flirt... I wouldn't want to get myself into a situation where someone decided that I had made a move to go all the way when I obviously was not - that's just asking for trouble. If I flirt, the other person is always aware that I'm married, and I always point out who my hubby is. Safer that way - guys can get angry if they think they've been led up the garden path with no prize at the end!!

Loving the answers!! Keep them coming. grin

Just to throw another question or two in there...those who have mentioned the ego boosting/stroking, is it a long-term fix, or short-term? And when given and received properly, does it accomplish that desire/need for fulfilment, self-acceptance, desire to 'connect' etc?
I'm probably throwing fire onto the pit, but I believe everyone flirts. It's not necessarily only when you are out in a social scene which seems to be what everyone has been talking about here. It happens at work, in the supermarket, at the park, etc etc etc. Even smiling or making eye contact with someone is flirting. I think it is human nature. As long as it doesn't mean anything or go any further, there's no harm in it.
i think some people are just naturally chatty and friendly and can come across as flirty, but some definatley push it too far, i think intent has to be there.

DH works in a wholesale environment and he is quite flirty with all the customer service girls on the phone. he doesn't hid it from me, has done it in front of me and it doesn't bother me. most of these girls are in another state and he also talks to them about me and our boys aswell. he does it to make them feel good which in turns gets him very good service and they go out of their way to help him with whatever problem he has. he doesn't dirty talk or anything like that, just gives them complients and is just very friendly and chatty

DH also calls my best friend georgous, not "you are georgous", but "hey gourgous" when she calls, he also calls her wench, b!tch, lol, so its just a term of endearment (we call each other b!tch, its just the weird sense of humour we have). he doesn't do it to people he doesn't know, or to just anyone when we are out and about, just the people he knows. so i would say its a type of flirting, but all very harmless and i also know if i did have a problem with it he wouldn't do it anymore.

I'm probably throwing fire onto the pit, but I believe everyone flirts. It's not necessarily only when you are out in a social scene which seems to be what everyone has been talking about here. It happens at work, in the supermarket, at the park, etc etc etc. Even smiling or making eye contact with someone is flirting. I think it is human nature. As long as it doesn't mean anything or go any further, there's no harm in it.

Are you saying that girls flirt with girls too? Because I smile and make eye contact with girls all the time and I'm certainly not intending to flirt! haha

If I flirt... I'm doing it consciously. The guy that sold me the dodgy vacuum cleaner was really cute - I flirted with him. Not with words, but just the facial expressions said everything, he was enjoying it too.. I could tell! lol
However I certainly don't flirt every single day in my daily life... it's never an unconscious thing for me.

Sign in to follow this topic