Huggies Forum

16yr old staying at b/f house Lock Rss

One of the ladies i work with is letting her 16 yr old stay over at her bf's house tonight. She said its ok as his parents are home and they are being made sleep in separate rooms. I think she is being a little nieve and doesnt think that one isnt going to sneak into the others room when the parents go to bed. IMO i dont think its right, i dont think she should be allowed to stay over there. What are your thoughts?
Its hard! My boys are only young still!

When i was 16 i was well and truly having sex! I was pregnant with my first at 17.

But every child and every circumstance is different!!

They may NOT be having sex!! Simple as that.

I think its important at that age to make sure your relationship with your children is very open in regards to safe sex! I mean, you can have a 2 second bonk in the school loo and be up the duff!!

My 16 year old sister stays at her Bf's house and he stays at My Mums with my sister.

We know she is sexually active and have had MANY talks with her about it.

IMO and from personal experiance even if i was not alowed to sleep over i would have found away to get around it! LOL......

But like i said my kids are way to young! No idea if i will change my tune when they are 16 lol...
my eldest daughter is 15, 16 next year i would not let her stay over at her boyfriends house
I dont think my df would ever let his darling dd have a bf!! LOL laugh
I don't have kids that age.
I had moved out of home by 16 and was well and truly having sex. My boyfriend at the time stayed over at least 4 times a week. I turned out alright tongue
At the age of 16, yes I would. I think by 16 her parents should have well and truly had 'the talk' and that if they choose to have sex they will find a way either way. As much as I hate the thought of my girls having sex at that age, my now DH moved in with my parents and I a couple of months after we turned 16 (due to illness in his family) so I would feel like a hypocrite to say 16 year olds shouldn't be able to have sleepovers with teenagers of the opposite sex.

(Please don't jump at me for giving my opinion, I know we all parent differently)
I had my first boyfriend at 14 and slept over his house numerous times. When i first asked my parents about it they were unsure and gave me the 'talk', i was mature and level headed, i never would have done anything until i was ready. No one was going to pressure me into it. Needless to say we were together for about 4mths or so and i never slept with him.

I think each parent to their own TBH, and i also think it depends on the teenager too. The parents are the ones who know them the best and if they believe they are mature enough, know how to be safe and understand the possible consequences from having sex then thats for them to decide.

At the age of 16, yes I would. I think by 16 her parents should have well and truly had 'the talk' and that if they choose to have sex they will find a way either way. As much as I hate the thought of my girls having sex at that age, my now DH moved in with my parents and I a couple of months after we turned 16 (due to illness in his family) so I would feel like a hypocrite to say 16 year olds shouldn't be able to have sleepovers with teenagers of the opposite sex.

(Please don't jump at me for giving my opinion, I know we all parent differently)

You posted as i was writing my reply smile and we have much the same opinion!

She should absolutely be allowed to sleep over at b/f's house. His parents are home. Even if they are having sex, isn't it better knowing they are safe at home, rather than parked in a car somewhere or sneaking around because the parents are old fashioned. At that age, you would hope both kids have been educated about safe sex. If it was a b/f she had only been seeing for a short time, or had only just met, then that wouldn't be cool. You have to give kids some trust & let them prove themselves to be "responsible".
Not at all.
I want my DD to focus on school and graduate before she thinks about that sort of thing. Or gets into that sort of thing. There's plenty of time for sex, no need to rush into it when you're young. And I'm hoping to have an open and honest relationship with her when she hits that stage so even if she does want to do it she'll feel ok to talk to us about it and not need to sneak around.

My opinion is yes. If she is a mature and level headed 16 year old who is on or knows of birth control.

When I was 16 my then bf would stay at my parents house and sleep in my room with me. Yes I was sexually active with him. But my mother had drilled the safe sex talk into my head from a young age and I was well and truly on the pill before I had sex with him. My mother had the opinion that it was better that I was doing it under her roof where I was safe and she knew where I was and that she had given me condoms and I was on the pill so we were protected in that way. I thank my mother for giving me freedom like that and as I was a mature and level headed 16 year old I think it worked well for me.
Yes because I would rather know where she was and who she was with. It's better to know they are safe. However... It is really easy to say that at the moment as DD is only 9 months old! It might be a completely different story when she's 16.
Sign in to follow this topic