Huggies Forum

Your opinion Lock Rss

I think parents should be told. Sex under 16 is illegal and not to mention
, such an operation and beyond can be traumatising and leave an emotional scar.

If my daughter were to get pregnant at that age, I would upset, but would want to be
there to help her through it.

If they make this discreet, then there will be no fear factor, kids wouldnt take it
seriously

Parents are the legal guardian for their children, at that age, they cant sign anything

What if something went wrong during the op? Who will take responsibility?

I'm a bit on the fence about this one too. I read in the herald this morning it was sparked by a school helping a girl arrange an abortion and couldn't tell the parents (yet they have to get a permission slip to take the same girl out of school)! I think that if a young girl has at least one adult they can trust then that's good. In an ideal world that adult would be a parent but we all know it doesn't always end up this way.

If it were my daughter I would want to know but at the same time we teach kids that their bodies are there own so why should I have a say if my daughter wanted an abortion or go on the pill.

What happens if the parents say no?

I would like to think that my kids and I would have an open relationship when it comes to sex etc and they can trust me to help them in any situation, but thankfully we don't have to tackle this topic for quite a few years yet.
I can understand the need to change the law. but the girls do need full support. I can understand problems with getting some parents involved specially if the parents don't believe in abortion and want to force the girl to keep it. And the Girl has made the decision not to keep it. this lays the grounds for child abuse to start.
What a good question. And a hard one! I don't agree with the school helping her arrange it, they should have told the parents.

However, having had an abortion at 18 and my mum still doesn't know 20 years later I can fully understand what it is like. My mum and I had a very open relationship but I couldn't bear to tell her as I didn't want to dissapoint her. I did however tell my 22 year old sister who helped me through it.
I too can see both sides and dont know. If it was my 16 year old i would want to be there to support her and help make sure she doenst make the same mistake again ie birth control but abortion is a really traumatising experience and i think that the parents should know to make sure that she is coping.

But i also know some people are dead against abortion and wouldnt let there 16 go through it, and some teenagers arent prepared to be a mum at 16 so it would be the best option for them.

That is really hard, but i just hope at the end of the day that i have the relationship with my DD that she can feel she can tell me, not go behind my back.
As a mum of 2 teenage girls (14 & 16), I'd be pretty damn pissed if some Counsellor arranged a medical procedure for my girls without my knowledge or permission. Children under the age of 16 can't even sign the Medicare form or pick up their own scripts so what gives someone that only sees the child for a limited time the right to make such monumental decisions for a child that they have no right to make such a decision for???

As parents, WE are held responsible for our children until they pass the age of 17 so we have every right to be informed.

Now having had my little dummy spit, I will say that in some circumstances I can fully understand the need to have the procedure done in secret due to the girl's culture, beliefs, health (both mental & physical) but if there is no risk to the girl such as family retaliation (or incest involved) then the parents should be informed, especially if something goes wrong!! Who is responsible of something happens???

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

In SA the legal age of consent is 17, changed in 2009. However it is not illegal for anyone 16 or under to gain a script for contraception without their parents knowledge. A second medical opinion may be required.

As for this story, I don't think the counsellor was correct in their actions. As a parent, I'd be angry. I hope the girl is receiving support counselling from someone else to help her through this time.

What really gets me, is that the girl didn't want her parents to know, but it is in the paper? Guess they know now.

Should girls under the age of 16 be able to get an abortion without telling their parents?

I'm on the fence about this, because I personally would want to know if my daughter ever got pregnant, and we would help her work through decisions on what to do next and support her. But I can also understand why a young girl wouldn't want to tell her parents, out of fear and the repercussions that may arise. It's a tough one!

What do you think??

News article

I would say yes! Some kids do not have very good/happy/stable relationships with their parents and sometimes the problems that would arise if the parents DID know would far outway any emotional states of the abortion in the teenager. Besides most teenagers in that position have close friends that would help them thru the hard times way better than their mother!

I have a friend who got pregnant at 14 after being peer-pressured (no excuse i know!) into having sex with her BF and the condom broke. Her mother was extremely anti-abortion but never in a million years thought of her young teen daughter having to come under her views! To this day her mum still doesn't know cos she would have forced her to have the baby. I helped the daughter to get the abortion and now 5 years later she is on her way to becoming a doctor and loves her life and thanks me everyday for being there for her in a way her mother would not have been.
I don't so much worry for the girls who would be forced to keep the baby, but more for the girls who could be beaten, abused, or thrown out of their homes for falling pregnant.

I must say, before I had Kylara, I had a different emotional response to abortion and miscarriage. I didn't understand how traumatic they both are.

Personally, I think its right for the girl to have control over her decision, but that it should be compulsory for them to have a certain amount of hours with a counselor trained specially in that department. And the outcome should be affected by the counselors report. If the report believes the girls livelihood isn't at stake, then it should be brought to the attention of the parents.
I really think its important for these girls to have a proper understanding of what they're going through, and know all the pros and cons beyond a couple of pamphlets in a waiting room.

I don't so much worry for the girls who would be forced to keep the baby, but more for the girls who could be beaten, abused, and thrown out of their homes for falling pregnant.

I must say, before I had Kylara, I had a different emotional response to abortion and miscarriage. I didn't understand how traumatic they both are.

Personally, I think its right for the girl to have control over her decision, but that it should be compulsory for them to have a certain amount of hours with a counselor trained specially in that department. And the outcome should be affected by the counselors report. If the report believes the girls livelihood isn't at stake, then it should be brought to the attention of the parents.
I really think its important for these girls to have a proper understanding of what they're going through, and know all the pros and cons beyond a couple of pamphlets in a waiting room.

I thought counciling was mandatory before all abortions? I know Miss R had to go in for 6 sessions before they would give the go-ahead.

I thought counciling was mandatory before all abortions? I know Miss R had to go in for 6 sessions before they would give the go-ahead.

I hope so, but I'm not sure. A friend in high-school had no counseling. I'm not sure what the legality of it is. :S
I too, supported a GF. At the clinic, they gave her 10 minutes with a counsellor to make sure she was not being forced into it & understood the decision being made. That was it. No other before or after support.
Sign in to follow this topic