Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Your opinion Lock Rss

I would have to agree with supaexcited AND nostrum.

It's not just a clear black and white situation. Whomever and whatever 16 year old out there got pregnant, how does anyone with their opinion know what her home life is like? I suppose we can all sit back and say God no her parents have to know and in saying that they go home and tell their parents and they could have an abusive family who will beat the lviing daylights out of her for being pregnant. Some girls have even been killed or completely shunned because of it.

I would hope that my daughter and I would have a close enough relationship for her to tell me and not feel ashamed by the fact if she got pregnant at 16, I mean who would I be to judge her? I got pregnant at 17 and had my DD at the age of 18. I would be there for her no matter what to help support her through it. Whatever her decisions are will be hers but I will be there to help her think things through and not push her into anything but guide her.

I suppose with situations like this, if they are having debates about abortions without a parents consent..all areas have to be looked into..it sure is a tricky one!!

I think parents should be told. Sex under 16 is illegal and not to mention
, such an operation and beyond can be traumatising and leave an emotional scar.

If my daughter were to get pregnant at that age, I would upset, but would want to be
there to help her through it.

If they make this discreet, then there will be no fear factor, kids wouldnt take it
seriously

Parents are the legal guardian for their children, at that age, they cant sign anything

What if something went wrong during the op? Who will take responsibility?

^^^ This

Should girls under the age of 16 be able to get an abortion without telling their parents?

no
My first thought was no, id want to know if my daughter was pregnant at 16 and would want to support her in whatever decision she comes to. Its a serious medical procedure that can be traumatic and i would hate for her to go through it without me.

But

not all families are supporting and loving and will respect their daughters wishes. I worry about girls having to comply with their family wishes, keep the baby and resent the child for it. Or girls that come from cultures that will disown her or kick her out for falling pregnant outside marraige. Or girls that are at risk of being abused during and after the pregnancy. Maybe these girls need a way of accessing councilling (sp?) and abortion if they feel thats the best choice for them.

Jack ''08 & Bump ''10

Absolutely not. Sixteen is still a child and most parents know their child best. I know there are cases where the child may be endangered by letting the parents know but in those cases the counsellor should act as an advocate for the child and involve the authorities and law. The chance of a child being hurt once there are others involved is greatly reduced. Not a perfect solution but how could you be sure that the counsellor was acting in the child's best interests and not pushing their own agenda, however well meaning it may be? What if the child lied and exaggerated the threat because they couldn't face the parents where in reality it was unfounded and the parents could have supported the child to make the decision best for the child?

I wonder how many children do not want their parents to know because of unfounded fear and live the rest of their lives in shame. I'm sure there are many parents who would be angry if their 16 year old or younger child got pregnant but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be there for them and support them as best they can.

Should girls under the age of 16 be able to get an abortion without telling their parents?

What do you think??

News article

Of course not. Nothing is black and white, but I still say no.

My first thought was no, id want to know if my daughter was pregnant at 16 and would want to support her in whatever decision she comes to. Its a serious medical procedure that can be traumatic and i would hate for her to go through it without me.

But

not all families are supporting and loving and will respect their daughters wishes. I worry about girls having to comply with their family wishes, keep the baby and resent the child for it. Or girls that come from cultures that will disown her or kick her out for falling pregnant outside marraige. Or girls that are at risk of being abused during and after the pregnancy. Maybe these girls need a way of accessing councilling (sp?) and abortion if they feel thats the best choice for them.

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Lets just hope that parents these days are open enough for these teens to be able to go to their parents for advise and support.!
I'm on the fence on this one because there are so many different issues surrounding it. Like parents whom wouldn't allow an abortion, parents who would disown their child, etc.

I think one of the other questions that needs to be evaluated on this issue is SHOULD THE FATHERS PARENTS BE TOLD?

I know from experience that it is quite easy for the father to not even know let alone his parents. It take two people to make a 'mistake' and both should be held equally accountable.

Food for thought.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I'm on the fence on this one because there are so many different issues surrounding it. Like parents whom wouldn't allow an abortion, parents who would disown their child, etc.

I think one of the other questions that needs to be evaluated on this issue is SHOULD THE FATHERS PARENTS BE TOLD?

I know from experience that it is quite easy for the father to not even know let alone his parents. It take two people to make a 'mistake' and both should be held equally accountable.

Food for thought.

Most people who get pregnant couldn't give a stuff what the father thinks so why would his parents be of any concern or influence.

I guess this topic has so many 'what ifs' that if those who make the laws had to think about them all the laws would never get past because like all human situations, what works for one, wont work for another.

I mean to me, if a doctor had to report a 14 year old girl coming in for an abortion because she was underage to have sex in the first place, there would be an awful lot of babies dumped in garbage cans and the like. We all like to think that we would support a daughter if she came to us in this situation, but the reality is that SOME mothers would hit the roof, kick the girl out of home or cry RAPE to the poor boy who got her daughter knocked up in the first place. Yes rape does happen, but in a young relationship where both people are keen to have sex, sometimes these things happen and getting pregnant is the LAST thing on their mind. Even if they do use a condom, nothing is 100% so being able to let these people deal with it quickly and quietly is the best for all involved.
I dont think its fair for a young boy, raged up on hormones, when a girl is saying 'yeah lets get it on', to them throw this boy in jail for underage sex! Not fair at all! Unless they throw the girl in jail too, then its fair.
Sign in to follow this topic