Huggies Forum

Do you pay extra at kindy.. Rss

Or is it just the kindy I use???

DD has started full time at the start of this term and I've been a little surprised at the extra costs that they seem to expect all the time! Kindy fees are $85 a term - I'm not sure how much others pay at other kindys...

For example... this week alone I have paid an extra $30 because they're getting the kids to decorate plates to keep - Yep I'd like her to do a plate but that seemed a bit steep...

And today I walked in and the teacher said "did you pay for the african drumming today???" I hadn't heard about it so asked a bit more about why we have to pay for an activity and she retorted "Well it IS costing us $200 to get the african drummer to come see us!" The drummer is coming and the kids use one of his little drums each to drum with him and he has costumes and teaches them some dances.

The thing is.... They do these things as a group activity. So the kids that havn't paid are sitting there missing out, and I know my dd would be really upset to be excluded and wouldn't understand that it was because mummy hadn't paid. So of course I pay. So far it has been costing us most weeks for these extra activities!!

Is that normal?????

WOW, $85 a term is awesome!! We pay $130 for 5 days a fortnight!

Anyway, I think when you enrolled in the Kindy they should have outlined that extra activities would cost more or they could give you like two weeks notice at least that the extra activity is coming up.
I don't know where you live but in our town there are only 3 kindy's to choose from - 1 is really feral and horrible, and the other 2 are good. The two good kindys have different ways of teaching... one is really structured, a little like school, and the other kindy the kids get to choose their play and have a lot more social interaction (dd goes to the last one).

I'd guess that the other good kindy in town would be a similar price to dd's and the feral one would be cheaper again. I would think that in more populated areas there is more competition to get the kids into the kindy so they could charge more.

at DS2's kindy he goes two full days one week and 2 full and one half the second week... its costs $50 a term...

so far the only extra cost we have come across was a farm excursion this week which cost $15... apart from fundraising...

though he only got a place 3wks before last term ended.. so not sure what else they have done this year

My boys' kindy years will cost $2500 each - we paid $300 to secure their enrolment, and that comes off the first year's tuition. We pay monthly, starting Feb, and it works out at just over $220 per month for each of them (starts Feb so we pay it over 10 months).

DS1 is at kindy currently, and we haven't had to pay for anything extra like that... I had just assumed that their tuition fees cover all of those things! Except for excursions I guess, I'd imagined if they have any special excursions we'd have to pay for that, and we're more than happy to do that of course so long as it's reasonable.

Painting a plate sounds like a really good activity, and like you I'd be happy to pay for them to do one, but not $30! I think a much better way for the school to go about that would be to ask parents to provide a plate for their kids to decorate. You might have one at home that meets the requirements, or if not, you could buy one from Kmart for $5. They must be planning something very elaborate for that sort of money; even including the paints and materials, it shouldn't cost $30 per child! African drumming sounds like a really expensive thing for kindy kids to be doing too - really great, fun activity, but really is it necessary??

I would be a bit annoyed if DS1's teacher was wanting to do all these expensive things with the kids all the time. I mean are they assuming that you are rich, because you are paying the school fees? Some people really stretch themselves financially to afford private school tuition, I think it's inconsiderate of teachers to be so frivolous with parents' money. As you said, it's a really awful thing if your kids have to miss out because you can't afford it, and that's the position they put you in!
Do you mean $85 a term or a day?
I pay $150 a week for 3 day's at a 9am to 3pm Kindy!
If it's $85 a term I think I would just pay it and be happy that I have paid $85 for a whole term of kindy!
To be honest I can't even believe that you would complain about that!
x

Do you mean $85 a term or a day?
I pay $150 a week for 3 day's at a 9am to 3pm Kindy!
If it's $85 a term I think I would just pay it and be happy that I have paid $85 for a whole term of kindy!
To be honest I can't even believe that you would complain about that!
x

I don't think that's really fair... you can choose to put your kids into a more expensive or less expensive school, these are costs that you don't necessarily expect. The OP wasn't complaining about the fees, it was the extra stuff, and I think that's more extra stuff than I would expect to be paying for in kindy.
Really?????
I didn't even think that $8.50 a week for kindy would even cover the cost of paint.....
That's just my thoughts!
Im not suprised the teacher looked at her sideways!
Nope not complaining about the fees. I'm talking about KINDY, not school. My kid is 4 yrs old. School next year will cost us $2800 for the year.

And I would be happy to pay more for fees. Like I pointed out - it depends where you live as to what you pay for fees. We live in the country with only 3 kindys to choose from. If you are in the city or a larger area you have a huge amount of kindys to choose from and therefore are also able to look at the costs of each one.

We pay $85 a term, not a day. She goes 2 half days and one full day per week.

And like the pp said - I was concerned about her having to miss out if I didn't pay for it. Luckily it wont put us out of pocket much - but I know for a fact there are families there that wont be able to afford it and their kids will feel excluded.

And I might just add... I'm not particularly complaining about it. If you look at the original post I was asking do other parents usually have the same at kindy or is it just ours? I was wondering if I need to be expecting this for school next year as well as she will be going to a private school - and the yearly fees are probably going to be a LOT already with the uniform requirements etc.

Really?????
I didn't even think that $8.50 a week for kindy would even cover the cost of paint.....
That's just my thoughts!
Im not suprised the teacher looked at her sideways!

Hang on, I sort of misread something... $85 a term... I thought that was per fortnight for some reason! Hence thinking it was a private school. Sorry... ok so the school fees are pretty low roll eyes

Yeah I guess I do agree with you then... the money for extra stuff does have to come from somewhere! I probably wouldn't object so much if I was paying $8.50 per week smile
might also add that this is a public kindy. We don't have private ones available in our area so they are not there to make a profit. They are there to provide a service.

Hi, i pay 64 dollars a week for my child and just over the last month there has been an extra cost for a magician $6 dollars and a man from the reptile park $12. I knew before she started though that extra things like this would come up. Its up to you if you want to pay it but i suppose if you dont your child misses out?
Sign in to follow this topic