Huggies Forum

How do you Lock Rss

Was just wondering what methods everyone uses to punish or when your child does something wrong, what do you do?
My method is to take their favourite thing off them for a while. Like my Ds just had his Ipod taken from him for a week. One of my friends thinks that was a bit harsh.
So do you do the same thing?
Do you smack?
Or time out?
What works for you?
I have tried just about everything and am yet to find a method that works for us.

Was just wondering what methods everyone uses to punish or when your child does something wrong, what do you do?
My method is to take their favourite thing off them for a while. Like my Ds just had his Ipod taken from him for a week. One of my friends thinks that was a bit harsh.
So do you do the same thing?
Do you smack?
Or time out?
What works for you?

We use time out, removal of toys and activities - like going to the playground. We also use bribery - like if you behave yourself at the shops you can get a treat smile We also tell them our expectations before we do things, like when we go to the shops you need to stay with mummy and not touch everything and afterwards we will go to the playground.... if they start misbehaving then we can say if you continue we wont go to the playground after. My 5 year old is now at school and a treat for her is some money for the canteen on a Friday - so that's a priviledge that gets taken away if she's naughty, I do warn her and if she keeps being naughty she doesnt get money for the canteen.

Occasionally we smack, dont have to do it very often and then just using the threat of one is enough for them to stop misbehaving.

When they are older I'd definitely take something off them for a week (like an ipod) but at 5 and 2 taking something for a day is like forever to them.

I have tried just about everything and am yet to find a method that works for us.

Yes its hard isnt it.
I had tried a lot of things and then tried the Dr Phil method Haa.
To find what is important to them. For one of my kids its his Ipod. He thought i was bluffing. But he has lost it for a week and all i have heard is that i am sorry mum and he is really trying to be a good boy. So so far so good. I was just asking the question because of what my friend said. And thought maybe others had different ideas.

We use time out, removal of toys and activities - like going to the playground. We also use bribery - like if you behave yourself at the shops you can get a treat smile We also tell them our expectations before we do things, like when we go to the shops you need to stay with mummy and not touch everything and afterwards we will go to the playground.... if they start misbehaving then we can say if you continue we wont go to the playground after.

Occasionally we smack, dont have to do it very often and then just using the threat of one is enough for them to stop misbehaving.

When they are older I'd definitely take something off them for a week (like an ipod) but at 5 and 2 taking something for a day is like forever to them.
So you have found that taking things of them works for you too?
And i also do the expectations thing before we go anywhere.
We try to stick to natural consequences here. So sometimes that may include removing a particular item (if that is what the problem involved) or limiting or banning screen time other times it might be an early to bed night (like when they're grumpy or rude or having a crazy tantrum) We try to avoid any shaming, blaming, bribery or labeling as none of that is really helpful and most of it is normal kid behavior and an opportunity for them to learn what is expected and appropriate.

So you have found that taking things of them works for you too?
And i also do the expectations thing before we go anywhere.

Yep taking things has a definite result, and can also use the threat of it after youve done it once or twice because they know that I will take something if they continue misbehaving.

The first time I did it my 5 year old got really upset - I felt really bad, but at the same time I had "hit her where it hurt" and now she knows that if I tell her if you dont stop this or that I will take ..... (whatever toy it is) away - she knows I'll do it.

Probably biggest thing is if you make a threat then follow through, they know I mean business and for the most part they behave pretty well.
We use time out at the moment (DD is only 2) Which works extremely well for us!
Ive been traumatised into following through with punishments - I used to baby sit a friends daughter who was never disciplined, was given everything she wanted and now shes 16 and an absolute cow!!
I used to say its easy to give her the $5 toy when she throws a tantrum, but wait until shes older and she throws a tantrum because shes not allowed to get her nose pierced or get the latest gadgets etc

I believe taking something from a child is the best thing, it gives them time to think about what they have done wrong and helps them learn that bad behaviour wont be tolerated!

We try to stick to natural consequences here. So sometimes that may include removing a particular item (if that is what the problem involved) or limiting or banning screen time other times it might be an early to bed night (like when they're grumpy or rude or having a crazy tantrum) We try to avoid any shaming, blaming, bribery or labeling as none of that is really helpful and most of it is normal kid behavior and an opportunity for them to learn what is expected and appropriate.

Same here..with the odd bit of time out (for mum) and time in for the kids. laugh Time in is particularly effective for DS2.

Generally speaking, we've found taking things off DS1 doesn't work, even when it's his 'currency', and his most favourite thing in the world. We did that for a month once and after 2 weeks he'd completely forgotten about said item and had NO idea what prompted getting it taken off him in the first place and tbh neither do we.

We use the 1-2-3 Magic method. No smacking, no yelling- just counting and time out. I'd have to say sometimes I'd love to give DD1 a good smack sometimes, but it's agreed that we won't (and 1-2-3 magic man says NO! as does DH).
DD2 isn't old enough yet though (unfortunately because she's one crazy, emotional fruit loop!). We firmly tell her what not to do blah blah blah.

We have found that as long as we are consistent with it, it works really well. And I enjoy 3 minutes away from DD1 every now and then tongue

and time in for the kids. laugh Time in is particularly effective for DS2.

Oh yeah, time in, I'd forgotten about that smile It isn't so much of a "punishment" to me but more of an opportunity to reconnect and calm down, really good for tantrums smile
My boys get half an hour taken off their bedtime each time they are naughty. If they hit or yell swear words the half an hour is taken off immediately. For every thing else they are given 3 chances to improve or change their behaviour. The earliest my eldest son has gone to bed (at 8 years old) is 5pm. He was brought dinner, ate alone, then had to brush his teeth and immediately return to bed. Since then just a warning of losing half an hour is usually enough to make them rethink their behaviour.

They can earn time back however by doing odd chores etc. They are never asked if they want to, the list is on the fridge. They do it of their own accord.

So far this punishment is working really well. Nothing so boring as being sent to bed early and lying there in the dark not feeling sleepy.

When DD is older we'll use sticker charts and time out to start with, which is what we used with the boys.
Sign in to follow this topic