Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Story on sunrise this morning Lock Rss

I wasn't meaning you! I think at 10y and over it depends on the child and as the parent you would know your child best and how they would handle a dangerous situation!

but sorry not under 10 that's my thought's anyway

Oh, I know you didn't mean me in particular. I just think maturity goes hand in hand with knowing what to do. That was my point anyway.
I wasn't trying to be rude btw.
The same 10 year old I was talking about (due to her personality and maturity levels) probably would've been fine left alone at 6 years, I just never felt comfortable enough to do it because of her physical age.

Some kids are just like that, they're different from the average child.
i guess thats the problem. its all up to each person to gauge when THEY feel THEIR child is old enough/mature enough to handle themselves in an emergency.

3littlemen you say not under 10, but if you dont have a 10 yo + child, how did you come to decide that that number is an okay one?

Not having a go at you, just using you as an example since you put a number to it. smile

i think circumstances make a big difference too. whether you live in a small, "trusting" community, whether you know your neighbours well, whether your child has any disabilites, whether your child is mature and responsible or not, how far away you are going and for how long etc all play a role in deciding whether or not you would leave your child..

I know at 10 i was definately mature enough to call 000, get out of the house in a fire situation, or to not answer the door if someone knocked etc but my littlest sister has a hearing loss and was always a "head in the clouds" type girl and even at 14 was not very clued on LOL so it really varies from child to child and i think there should be some kind of law to draw the line somewhere (and i think at 4 that is a fair line to draw!!) but at the same time, who REALLY knows what age a child can be responsible and mature at? it all depends on individual perception.

Everyone will have their own experiences of what is normal yk? I've left my 6 yo at home for 15mins while I popped out to grab milk, but then that might be shocking to others. We live in a large rural town, we know our neighbors really well and ds is very mature for his age, so while I didn't do it lightly, I was comfortable with it.

I completely agree with this.

And each parent is going to do what they feel their child is ready for. I would love, when my DD1 is as old your son, to believe in her and know what she would and wouldn't do (well hopefully). I believe that as our kids grow, the more trust you show in their abilities and decisions the more mature decisions they will ultimately make.

Now saying this I'm not agreeing with leaving a 4yo at home by themselves.
[quote name='~Ruby~Gloom~' date='01 June 2011 - 03:42 PM' timestamp='1306903340' post='2999832']
[url=http://www.mysmiley.net][img]http://serve.mysmi...] Which is why I prefaced my post with the bit about "everyone having different experiences opinions..." Thanks anyway for your unwanted and unasked for opinion, but still, you don't know my 6 yo <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
[/quote]

"A four-year-old boy rescued from a western Sydney house fire had been left home alone watching cartoons for about 15 minutes while his mother took his brothers to school.

The young boy was in hospital after being rescued by a neighbour who discovered him in a rear sunroom overcome by fumes.

"If it wasn't for the quick and brave actions of the neighbour, we'd be looking at a different scenario, and by scenario I mean serious injuries," Inspector Ken Hardie told AAP."

- but the thing is i am sure that this mum was just like you - you know the kid being soooooooooooo mature for their age and everything! pfffft!
I have been discouraged to leave mine at all as my mum told me a similar story of when she was dropping off my bro at school there was a mum who left her baby sleeping when she did the pre pick up or drop off. This one day the baby wouldn't settle, so she brought him to school. She went home to half her house burnt down. The firemen said her baby surely would have died of smoke inhalation.

Also any accident I or my parents have had have been just around the corner. I would hate to think of my kids being left at home with me being incapacitated in an accident.

So I guess I wouldn't leave them until I knew they could call for help if needed. Were fire safe. Wouldn't go outside, etc...

- but the thing is i am sure that this mum was just like you - you know the kid being soooooooooooo mature for their age and everything! pfffft!

Maybe Ruby Glooms child is a genius and is smarter than you or I.

How could we possibly know?

oh okay! I'll be the irresponsible parent of the hour!......meh, nah, still don't care actually, my call, I was and still am totally comfortable with my decision.
New house (no dodgey wiring), little to no fire risk, no heating or cooking on - CHECK!
Know neighbors, my son knows and is comfortable with said neighbors - CHECK!
Away for a very short amount of time - CHECK!
Son is mature and responsible for age (yes, I'm sure I sound like an overconfident/proud parent, however I can also be objective about this) - CHECK!
Again, everyones idea on what is acceptable will depend on their experiences, ideas about where they live and judgement of their childrens capabilities. I don't think this thread was about slagging off at each other about "who is the most/least responsible"

oh okay! I'll be the irresponsible parent of the hour!......meh, nah, still don't care actually, my call, I was and still am totally comfortable with my decision.
New house (no dodgey wiring), little to no fire risk, no heating or cooking on - CHECK!
Know neighbors, my son knows and is comfortable with said neighbors - CHECK!
Away for a very short amount of time - CHECK!
Son is mature and responsible for age (yes, I'm sure I sound like an overconfident/proud parent, however I can also be objective about this) - CHECK!
Again, everyones idea on what is acceptable will depend on their experiences, ideas about where they live and judgement of their childrens capabilities. I don't think this thread was about slagging off at each other about "who is the most/least responsible"

"milady, I think doth protest too much"
Whilst I do agree that there should be a law to prohibit young children being left home alone, I'll be a total hypocrite and say that I have left my DD and DS at home while I went literally 1 minute away to get an essential ingredient for dinner. I was back home within 5 minutes. ph34r
She was watching TV the whole time while DS was in bed asleep.

I wouldn't do it again in a hurry, but I know my DD and I know she can be trusted to sit and watch telly for 5 minutes while I duck out, and DS was not in any hurry to wake up..

My last post may have come across as having a go at you. I wasn't, quite the opposite actually.
If people make the decision to leave their young children at home unattended, for any amount of time, and their children are hurt or killed, THEY have to live with their decision for the rest of their lives.

Doesn't matter how mature they are, or that they know the neighbours, or that they can call 000. If they die, none of that changes it.

As long as your comfortable with your decision...
Do we actually need a law to say please don't leave young children at home by themselves? How can they determine what age is appropriate? What about when they are older, should there be a law that says between this age and this age they CAN be at home - but they can not be responsible for siblings or friends. At what point should we stop expecting laws to cover basic common knowledge.
At 10 I was responsible for getting my brothers on the bus and to and from school,by 12 I was responsible for looking after them after school, getting them do homework and starting dinner until around 6 when my parents got home from work. On friday nights I would have to get them ready for the bus and catch it to the city (40mins away) where we would meet dad to stay at his place for the weekend.
I didn't grow up in the 50's I am only 31. Parents are the only ones who know how responsible their kids are. Sometimes kids don't get the chance to be responsible because everyone else decides they are too young. Kids weren't just more mature in past generations- they had to be!
Sign in to follow this topic