Huggies Forum

Is it expensive Lock Rss

So as the title says....is it expensive going from 1 child to 2 children?? I really want another child but my DH is concerned about finances which I totally understand! What are your opinions on costs? Is it really that big a difference? I still have all my baby gear and I am SAHM full time!

TIA for any opinions smile

So as the title says....is it expensive going from 1 child to 2 children?? I really want another child but my DH is concerned about finances which I totally understand! What are your opinions on costs? Is it really that big a difference? I still have all my baby gear and I am SAHM full time!

TIA for any opinions smile

Not if you have 2 of the same sex smile and can use all the clothes and some shoes again.

Seriously though it does cost more as you have another child to provide for, so bed, possibly a double pram, another car seat, Drs, nappies but we are a single income family and we coped just fine when No. 2 came along. If you are entitled to Family Tax Benefit then that goes up a bit, you will get the baby bonus so that is like a form of paid maternity leave and can help with costs, might also be entitled to the FTB supplment payment which is once a year after tax.
Well, if you want it you'll make it work. It's just one of those things where you know you probably shouldn't, but if not now, then when?
Bite the bullet.. go for it. There's only one way to find out about the expenses lol

I really didnt notice the cost of going from one to two significant. I think it was a little dearer as i had gotten used to not buying nappies and formula every week, but we managed on a small income.
It is getting more expensive now DS is 1 as my food bill has jumped and he has had all secondhand clothes up till now so he needs alot of clothes. We are on a very low income and yes money is tight but that is due to the fact we have alot of debt. If everyone had a child when they could afford it most people i know would never have had children. If you want another one i say go for it you can make it work.
I'm 34wks pregnant with #2 and haven't found any major cost SO far...but of course, the baby hasn't been born yet. hahaha

I think the biggest cost will be feeding two teenage boys! haha oh and holidays of course. And family outings.

PS: I will be having the same sex but have still had to buy new clothes etc because one was born in January and the other will be born in July so none of the clothes will fit!! sad
i didn't find it too bad going from 1 to 2, it costs a bit more, but no where near double. we had all the big things already, and bought a pram with a toddler seat for the 1st becuase we knew we would have another. we were also lucky enough to have 2 boys, so all the clothes just got handed down.

we are having our 3rd boy very soon and again, have just about everything.

not sure i'm going to be able to afford the food bill as they all get older, with 3 growing boys i'm going to have to get a 2nd job just for the grocery bill. laugh
we're also a single income family and get some benifits from FTB im also a part time uni student and about to have #3!!! honestly we have been fine going up from 1 to 2, and we have one of each sex, i think you go overboard with #1, #2 we only bought clothes etc that we NEEDED whereas with #1 we bought EVERYTHING lol, the only real costs weve found were the second carseat and double pram. but day to day theres not much difference atm, im sure there will be once they start school etc but as the others said, you can and will make it work, we were worried too and turned out our worries were for nothing =D go for it! hope it all works out

i think you go overboard with #1, #2 we only bought clothes etc that we NEEDED whereas with #1 we bought EVERYTHING lol,

haha that's so true. I have a room FILLED with stuff from #1, including a bassinet, a cradle AND a cot, 2 pram options, excessive clothes (although wrong season), toys etc!! I definitely don't need to buy any extra stuff...I think clothes have been the only thing so far.
Yes it is.

Not just clothing and nappies wise... Thast only a short part of there life in the greater scheme of things...

What about Dr's costs? Extra food shopping? Beds? Schooling? Sports? Special needs. Family holidays... ect ect ect......

Im a firm believer in if you cant afford the first child dotn have a second....

By the way im not saying you cant afford your child LOL.... Just a saying i really like.

Kids are so bloody expensive!!! We have had the snip ( well DF has lol ) so we dotn have any more. We have 2. and the already cost us a bomb!!!

But yes IMO it does cost alot more with every new child you add to your brood.
Well if our plans work out dd will be 5 when the next one comes. So apart from nappies and clothes if it ends up being a boy we won't have too much to buy as dd is well and truly not needing any of the baby stuff she once used. We already have the second car seat as we bought a toddler seat when dd was 2 and kept the old one. If it ends up being a girl - we'll have all the clothes already too as I've kept them all.

I have to say I disagree about the furniture comment... my dd needed a big bed a long time ago.. so we have the cot still. No baby furniture required. And the big bed we bought her was second hand and didn't cost much at all! It's easy to get around the costs of furniture that way... dd no longer needs a pram and we have 2 so no pram to buy.

BUT.... if I'm realistic about it there will be countless trips to the chemist for various things and I will need a new wardrobe as my body is different to the last time I was preggas! Hopefully by the time school needs to be considered we have made our fortune! Lol

Probably not a huge deal in the big scheme of things though. We're still paying $100 just for a bag of dog food every month so perhaps there are areas in our life that we can cut down on cost to make up for the difference.

Yes and no, it all depends on the individual family. Everyone spends a different amount on food each week and other things like that. Some needs for one family may only be a want for another. I'm a SAHM with 2 kids and we do ok. We have alot of toys so didn't need to buy any more. We have one of each and my DD wears some of DS old clothes around the house. No one is going to see her so it doesn't really matter. If the older child is still in nappies then it will be more expensive that way. It will become more expensive once they hit school which by that time I will be back at work and able to handle the costs. I also agree with the PP family holidays will be so much more expensive! We've already noticed this when staying in a hotel over night.

Sign in to follow this topic