Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Question for the school teachers.....

Question for the school teachers..... Lock Rss

Do you have the authority to have a child sent home from school if they are clearly unwell?

I help out in DD's classroom on Thursday mornings by listening to the children read their readers to me one by one.

One little boy came in and he had lots of green blood streaked snot coming out of both nostrils. I told him to get a tissue, so he did but just wiped it all over his face. When I suggested he blow it out, he told me he didn't know how to.

Anyway, in the 5 minutes or so that he was reading to me, it was snot city from both nostrils and the chesty cough he had made me almost lean away from him as he wasn't covering his mouth either.

What is worse is that currently my DD is sitting across from him in the classroom as they have seating arrangements.

Afterwards, I suggested to DD's teacher that this little boy be sent home. He was VERY clearly unwell and doesn't even have the right cold and flu etiquette either.

Upon pick up though, this little boy was still there. I actually felt sorry for him cos he looked and sounded absolutely awful! sad

So it got me wondering if teachers can actually send children home or to the sick room when they are clearly sick? Or do they prefer not to??

I'm in NZ and at a high school so I don't know if it is relevant, but we can send them to the school nurse, and she can send them home or isolate them for the rest of the day if no one can come and get them.

I'm in NZ and at a high school so I don't know if it is relevant, but we can send them to the school nurse, and she can send them home or isolate them for the rest of the day if no one can come and get them.

This was my understanding. But what happens if the parents can't come and get them? Do they stay in the sick room or get sent back to the classroom?

why would a parent send their obviously infected child to mingle with other children????? Not cool!

At my school they stay in the sick bay, but that is only if the nurse thinks that they could be contagious. If they aren't she usually gives them the option of going to class, but I doubt they would go!!
Hi,
I'm a primary school teacher in public school.
Yes of course we have authority to send a child home. If a child is sick, even just a little headache we send them to the pfficfor the sick room. The office will assess them and call the parens to come and get them, if there is no parent to puck them up then they would stay in the sick room until home time. If the office ladies send one of my students back to the classroom and I can clearly see that child is unwell I take it up with the principal.
What kind of teacher would do nothing, I'm shocked at your Childs teacher.
So yes we have the authority to make sure the child either goes home or stay in the sick bay. We have the right to refuse the chi.d back in the classroom because they can infect other children.
Hi,
Yes of course we have authority to send a child home. If a child is sick, even just a little headache we send them to the office. The office will assess them and call the parent to come and get them, if there is no parent to pick them up then they would stay in the sick room until home time. If the office ladies send one of my students back to the classroom and I can clearly see that child is unwell I take it up with the principal.
So yes we have the authority to make sure the child either goes home or stay in the sick bay. We have the right to refuse the chi.d back in the classroom because they can infect other children.
Oh and this is Australia, Sydney.

why would a parent send their obviously infected child to mingle with other children????? Not cool!

We have lots who work full time and don't want the kids home alone, so they come to school and make us all sick!! Again, I'm at high school though, so generally it is mainly the juniors who come sick, the seniors stay home. We also have prizes for 100% attendance which I think have a lot to answer for! Kids come to school when sick because they don't want to spoil their attendance record.

same argument in preschool/daycares.

Hi,
Yes of course we have authority to send a child home. If a child is sick, even just a little headache we send them to the pfficfor the sick room. The office will assess them and call the parens to come and get them, if there is no parent to puck them up then they would stay in the sick room until home time. If the office ladies send one of my students back to the classroom and I can clearly see that child is unwell I take it up with the principal.

Can you please come and teach my DD's class then? PLEASE??!! lol!

I thought that my concerns may have been taken a little more seriously. I am not sure WHY a child who was clearly as sick as this little boy would have been sent to school.... sometimes I do question some parents!! But DD's teacher seems to avoid ANY kind of confrontation at all, which is why I think she just didn't do anything about it.

Well... if my DD gets sick in the next day or so, I will be having words with not only her teacher but also the little boys Mum. I do know their family situation, and therefore I do know that there is no reason why she couldn't have kept him home. sad

The little boy in question had been away for the previous 2 days, but he was clearly not well enough yesterday to have been back. He was there again this morning too.

Can you please come and teach my DD's class then? PLEASE??!! lol!

I thought that my concerns may have been taken a little more seriously. I am not sure WHY a child who was clearly as sick as this little boy would have been sent to school.... sometimes I do question some parents!! But DD's teacher seems to avoid ANY kind of confrontation at all, which is why I think she just didn't do anything about it.

Well... if my DD gets sick in the next day or so, I will be having words with not only her teacher but also the little boys Mum. I do know their family situation, and therefore I do know that there is no reason why she couldn't have kept him home. sad

The little boy in question had been away for the previous 2 days, but he was clearly not well enough yesterday to have been back. He was there again this morning too.

What school is this?
Like a PP said most parents work full time and can't afford to take some time off work to take care of their sick child, so they use school as day care. Thats why there is the policy about sick students. They must either go home or stay isolated, if the sickness is contagious.
You should probably talk to the schools principal because if the teacher is doing that, its not good for the sick child, the other students or even herself.
Sickness is a risk to others. I am a teacher who works one on one with kids in support, so I send them to the school office and request that they be sent home until better. This is to avoid getting ill and causing other kids to miss out on support.

As a teacher, you can refuse to have them in class if they are clearly sick. If mum can't get them that day, sick bay can isolate them. You have the right to avoid contact by ending the individual session too.

If very concerned (such as when you yourself are pregnant or it look slike a serious illness)the teacher or school can ask for written doctor clearance of the child before they return.
Sign in to follow this topic