Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Question for the school teachers.....

Question for the school teachers..... Lock Rss

angry

Like a PP said most parents work full time and can't afford to take some time off work to take care of their sick child, so they use school as day care. Thats why there is the policy about sick students. They must either go home or stay isolated, if the sickness is contagious.
You should probably talk to the schools principal because if the teacher is doing that, its not good for the sick child, the other students or even herself.

And see this is what really gets my blood boiling!!!! I understand that parents work full time, but you can bet your bottom dollar that when they themselves are sick, they will take the day off so they can get rested and feel better..... YET they are more than happy to send their sick children to school and infect all the other kids in the class!!! It's complete BS and shows a total disregard for other people. angry

Oh my poor little bloke. Fancy being forced to go to school when he obviously felt aweful. My pet peeve is kids going to school ill. Ive had all my kids home all week this week due to colds....They are better off here...thier classmates are better off with them not there and quite frankly they are going to get better sooner if they are home resting.

Also if the parents are working f/t, there is such thing as sick pay and/or carers pay.. its not like they are going to loose a days wage, unless of course they are casual workers or its a o/t shift.

Also if the parents are working f/t, there is such thing as sick pay and/or carers pay.. its not like they are going to loose a days wage, unless of course they are casual workers or its a o/t shift.

I work most Saturdays and DH works every Saturday, so we have the kids looked after by a sitter on this day. If one of my kids are sick, I take the day off. And I am a casual so if I take a day off I don't get paid. Simple.

For me, my childrens health comes first, not money. And for those that say, "but some people don't have a choice".... they friggin do!!

I am sure these parents would be the first to scold and shake their heads if I brought my sick children to their house, yet what they are doing is no different.

If my DD gets sick in the next couple of days and has to have time off school, I will be livid! And her teacher and the parent of the little boy WILL hear about it this time! I have had enough of keeping quiet and doing the right thing when others show complete disregard.

Heres hoping the little boy is allowed to rest and recuperate over the weekend. But who knows how many children he has already now infected in his classroom. angry

Its all very well so say keep the child at home and like others are saying, Even if parents are full time workers there is sick pay etc but i think its a bit harsh as you dont know there work situation. You say the boy had already had 2 days off previously, what if the parent/s had no sick pay left and was given the ultimatum to work or lose there job?

I totally agree sick kids need to stay home but no one fully knows anyone elses situation so it might be abit harsh to critisize the parents involved.

Just offering another point of view.

Its all very well so say keep the child at home and like others are saying, Even if parents are full time workers there is sick pay etc but i think its a bit harsh as you dont know there work situation. You say the boy had already had 2 days off previously, what if the parent/s had no sick pay left and was given the ultimatum to work or lose there job?

I totally agree sick kids need to stay home but no one fully knows anyone elses situation so it might be abit harsh to critisize the parents involved.

Just offering another point of view.

If you read one of my previous posts then you would know that I DO know their situation. Work and family.

And sorry, but there is NO excuse to send your child to school with huge green blood streaked snot coming out of their nose and a hacking cough. It is disrespectful and shows no regard for anyone else that has to come into contact with them.

If you read one of my previous posts then you would know that I DO know their situation. Work and family.

And sorry, but there is NO excuse to send your child to school with huge green blood streaked snot coming out of their nose and a hacking cough. It is disrespectful and shows no regard for anyone else that has to come into contact with them.

You best friends with them then? You know there work bosses? And work contracts etc? You know there personal life like its your own??

Sorry and i do agree and think sick kids should stay home but im just saying its easy to say that when its not your child.

You best friends with them then? You know there work bosses? And work contracts etc? You know there personal life like its your own??

Sorry and i do agree and think sick kids should stay home but im just saying its easy to say that when its not your child.

No, I wouldn't say we are best friends. But I have known their family for almost 10 years. And yes, I do know their work situation too, its a family run business, which the Mum doesn't even work for - but her FIL is her DH's boss. The business is actually run from her in-law's house and yard, about 500m down the road from their house. She has 2 younger children whom she is a full time SAHM Mum to.

What kind of "personal life" situation would prevent you from keeping a clearly very unwell child at home from school? What situation would MAKE you send your sick child to school so that they can infect the other 18 children in the class? Particularly when you are only spending the day at home? WHICH I happen to know that she did cos she had an SA Water worker coming out to look at something on their property and he could only tell her that he could be there between the hours of 10am and 2pm... so she HAD to be at home during that time. These are her words from that morning at school, before I stayed for reading and encountered her DS only half an hour later when he came into the reading room to read his reader to me.

I'm sorry but we are going to have to agree to disagree here. I can't honestly see what is SO important that you have to send your poor child to school with more snot than I have ever seen and coughing phlegm violently. ESPECIALLY when I know what the Mum was up to that day.

And yes, it is easy to say that because it isn't my child. Because I would NEVER send them to school like that. My child comes first, and their health and everyone elses health in that classroom is important to me. I have taken numerous days off work without pay so I can stay home to look after my sick children, and they haven't even been as sick as this little boy clearly was.

So now am I allowed to have the opinion that the child should NOT have been at school and should have been sent home?

The teacher should have sent the child to the office and parents called.
No you shouldn;t send your sick child to school either.
Im not making excuses for the parents but maybe, just maybe the little man woke up feeling ok after 2 days of feeling like ***, got dressed went to school and then fell in a heap. I know this has happened to me before and I have headed off to work feeling ok and wanted to die by 9:30, just a thought.

Just to add the amount of parents that have to come a pick their kids up from school and say someting like....yeah she threw up at about 3am but i thought she was fine this morning is astounding, what is worse if the school has a KNOWN gastro problem.....some parents just suck.

The teacher should have sent the child to the office and parents called.
No you shouldn;t send your sick child to school either.
Im not making excuses for the parents but maybe, just maybe the little man woke up feeling ok after 2 days of feeling like ***, got dressed went to school and then fell in a heap. I know this has happened to me before and I have headed off to work feeling ok and wanted to die by 9:30, just a thought.

Just to add the amount of parents that have to come a pick their kids up from school and say someting like....yeah she threw up at about 3am but i thought she was fine this morning is astounding, what is worse if the school has a KNOWN gastro problem.....some parents just suck.

I guess that is possible, but not likely. I overheard a couple of parents talking about this child at school pick up and how they noticed he was very unwell in the morning. I thought about saying something to his Mum when I saw her in the carpark, she was running late picking him up, but didn't quite now how to approach the subject. I will however be saying something should my DD become ill in the next day or so. This little boy sits directly across from her so I think it'd be a safe bet to say she has likely to have picked it up from him.

I know of another parent in the class that sends her child to sick a lot too. If her DD has a cough, its passed off as asthma, if she has a runny nose and snot, then its passed off as hayfever.. in the middle of winter when the pollen count is extremely low??? My DD suffers from asthma and hayfever too, so I do know the difference and its quite easy to distinguish between a cold and asthma/hayfever.

I know I might sound like a righteous so and so... but it just really gets my blood boiling in these situations. I do the right thing with my DD, and yet shes the one that ends up having more time off school, that I pay good money for her to attend, just cos some parents just don't give a rats!

The key issue here is the PARENTS, not the teacher, once they get into our care we can only do so much. Not having a go at you, it is just so frustrating from all angles.

I WISH people would keep their sick kids home too! I have a DD2 that felt sick this morning, so I kept her home today JIC, I wish others would do the same....a day off is not going to set a child back that much schooling wise but it could stop half a class of other kids from getting ill!

The work situation shouldn't even play a part for deciding if a sick child should attend school. What if a child has chicken pox, measles etc... should they attend school as mum has not enough sick leave to stay home for 2 weeks?? How ridiculous. I know I wouldn't feel like going to work feeling like crap... how would the poor kid feel?

Eve75

Sign in to follow this topic