Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

closed grounds Lock Rss

Does anyone else think that the councils are being a bit precious re their sporting grounds?The kids have missed nearly every 2nd weekend of sport due to ground closures.Sometimes they close every ground in the district 3-4 days before the weekend.Its winter, it rains and with childhood obesity such a problem kids should be able to play in sorts of conditions.They like to play in the rain.
Vent over(almost) 2 of my soccer playing boys have not played for 3 weeks, the afl one has played more and is tomorrow.Not sure when they think the catch up games are supposed to be played when they keep closing grounds,ok vent over now!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

TBH, if they are closing the grounds because it has rained, they are probably covering their arse! An injury to children (or anyone) whilst playing sports on a wet oval of the council's is just not worth the insurance or the hassle... better to postpone or cancel the game.

Does anyone else think that the councils are being a bit precious re their sporting grounds?The kids have missed nearly every 2nd weekend of sport due to ground closures.Sometimes they close every ground in the district 3-4 days before the weekend.Its winter, it rains and with childhood obesity such a problem kids should be able to play in sorts of conditions.They like to play in the rain.
Vent over(almost) 2 of my soccer playing boys have not played for 3 weeks, the afl one has played more and is tomorrow.Not sure when they think the catch up games are supposed to be played when they keep closing grounds,ok vent over now!

I think its probably a public liability insurance thing, ie dangerous to play in wet conditions and also it probably hacks up the grounds alot more when its wet causing alot of damage... which they then have to find the funds to repair.

TBH, if they are closing the grounds because it has rained, they are probably covering their arse! An injury to children (or anyone) whilst playing sports on a wet oval of the council's is just not worth the insurance or the hassle... better to postpone or cancel the game.

The Insurance for players would be covered in their Registration Fees through the sporting body they play for ie soccer, AFL, Rugby League etc and is not the responsibility of Council usually.

What you'll probably find with the ground closures is that it isn't the Council that are closing them, but the sporting club themselves. A lot of Councils lease the Clubs the grounds etc but you'll find the great majority of maintaining the playing surface is done by the Club (and usually by volunteers) and in this financial climate the Clubs simply can't afford to repair the field every time it gets torn up by letting the kids play on it when it's too wet. It can take weeks to get the grass to regrow over torn up areas in summer let alone winter when everything grows a lot slower.

I've been on both sides of the fence with kid's sport, both as a mum and Executive Committee member, and I know how much work goes into maintaining a safe playing surface....it isn't as simple as mowing and watering LOL

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

its always the council grounds here which are closed.We have council sporting ground website which lists them all but the association just cancels ALL the games even if some grounds are ok thats what is annoying.My dh used to be a groundsman/curator for a local cricket club so I know what's involved

Everyones a whinger, everyone wants money blah blah blah, back in my day LOL the kids played rain, hail or shine and well i don't know who kept up the grounds but it was probably volunteers using fundraiser money to pay for what was needed, now insurances and stupid people wanting to sue for everything have wrecked all the fun of growing up, makes me sad

Everyones a whinger, everyone wants money blah blah blah, back in my day LOL the kids played rain, hail or shine and well i don't know who kept up the grounds but it was probably volunteers using fundraiser money to pay for what was needed, now insurances and stupid people wanting to sue for everything have wrecked all the fun of growing up, makes me sad

exactly, not to mention kids whose parents wont let them out in the rain in case the bubblewrap or cotton wool gets wet LOL roll eyes

Its silly sometimes, we've had beautiful sunshine for 2 straight days yet the grounds got closed around here earlier in the week!

Its silly sometimes, we've had beautiful sunshine for 2 straight days yet the grounds got closed around here earlier in the week!

I know the grounds dont dry as soon as there is sunshine but to call off games so early in the week is silly as by the weekend, 3-4 days of sun can, and does make a difference

Sign in to follow this topic