Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Are YOU a registered organ donor???

Are YOU a registered organ donor??? Lock Rss

I was speaking to DP the other night about organ donation and how silly it is that a friend of ours won't donate because he thinks if he's a donor a doctor wouldn't work as hard to save his life. blink

So then out of the blue DP says he's not registered either! I mean we've been together 13 years, i've spoken about organ donation several times and not once has he thought to mention that he isn't. And he doesn't even have a reason why not, he just 'hasn't thought about it'. huh

I'm a big believer in organ donation. Your body is like money, you can't take it with you when you die so why not share the wealth with others? I actually think that instead of registering to become a donor, you should have to 'opt-out' of donorship. Think about how many more lives would be saved.

So my question is; are you a registered organ donor? And if not, why not?

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Yup i totally am. I will be dead! I dont need it anymore. Take everything they can use i say!
Yes i am. I am a big believer in organ donation.
Some people are not because of religious beliefs. And some people are not because they have not thought to do it.
There is that religion thing again!

And on another note, do you give blood on a regular basis.
I do and have for as long as i can remember. Because i have a rarer blood type, it just made me think about it more.
I am & so is DH

I do understand why some people dont want to be - culture/religion etc.
I dont understand the theory of a Dr wont work as hard to save me....

I dont understand why even if you are a registered donor, a family member can refuse your organs to be harvested after you have passed wacko
Nope im not.
Absolutely!!!! And, god forbid, should something happen to one of my kids I would say yes to them being a donor. Simply because, if it was the other way around I would want my child to receive and would be eternally grateful to the donor and the thought that another child could be saved thanks to mine and therefore prevent another parent/family from going through what we would be going through - if that makes any sense at all lol!!!

I seriously cannot imagine a Doctor not doing enough to save one person just so that one could die to save another......doesn't make much sense....

I am, and I try to donate blood on a regular basis as well. DH is not an organ donor and does not want to be one. I don't understand why but that is his wish and I would never dream of going against it if that awful time came.

We once started to have the difficult conversation of would we donate the kids organs if anything ever happened. (Horrible to think of, I know, but if the time ever came i think we would be too overcome by grief to even have the discussion.) We didnt come to a conclusion though because it's just too hard to talk about. Also, because we have such differing views. My thinking was that I wouldn't want another parent to have to go through what I would be going through if I were ever in that situation.
Dh is, and I got the form from medicare the other day... so thanks for reminding me that I have to fill it out lol. Dh's fear was that the doctor might pronounce him dead and start taking his organs whilst he was still alive. I told him that won't happen, even though I think he still thinks that it could happen he wanted to be a donour. I am all for it.....might as well give someone else life! At the same time but I don't judge others if they choose not to.

I'm not. Mostly for personal reasons.

I don't agree that you should have to opt-out of organ donation. It shouldn't be a compulsary thing when it's such a personal choice. The majority of Australia belong to a christian faith which has positives like instilling good morals in young people and encouraging harmony among peers; which can also be seen as saving lives in the sense that these morals can prevent a life of crime etc. Should we all be forced to belong to a christian faith unless we opt-out and put a sticker on our drivers license?

Also, If organ donation became compulsary and you belonged to a faith or culture whom didn't believe in it how would you feel?

FYI I am fundementally an atheist.

Just sharing my oppinion like you asked.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Some people are not because of religious beliefs.

And on another note, do you give blood on a regular basis.
I do and have for as long as i can remember. Because i have a rarer blood type, it just made me think about it more.

I can understand religion as a reason. Well not really but i respect that these beliefs are deeply ingrained.

Yes i donate blood but i am just your average A pos, DP has the universal 0 neg and should really step up his rate of donation!

I dont understand the theory of a Dr wont work as hard to save me....

I dont understand why even if you are a registered donor, a family member can refuse your organs to be harvested after you have passed wacko

Both these concepts baffle me!

Nope im not.

Can i ask why not?

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

I know it sounds silly.. But I am too scared to. I know that when you die you can't take it with you.... But I don't like to think about dying. I am not a coward by any means.

This is the reason I am not registered. Given my family have to give permission anyway I don't see the point in actually registering. My husband, my sister and my mother are all aware that I would be happy to be an organ donor and I think the main thing is that everyone has these discussions.

My sister in law had a lung transplant many years ago so I am an avid believer in organ donation. It didn't save her, but it gave her an extra five years of life.
Sign in to follow this topic