Huggies Forum

What do you feed your cat? Rss

We adopted a little kitty yesterday, I have had cats all my life and wanted a new kitten before Baby comes so we could train her not to sleep in the bassinet or baby's things etc. I found one online, a fluffy little black kitten four months old.
So I went and picked her up. The previous owner informed me that she didn't eat cat food cause they couldn't afford to buy it for her, so they fed her human food, and milk. I thought it was odd, especially when I saw how skinny the kitten was. She's been trained to go to the loo on newspaper, and she gets bathed once a week using human soap.

I was a bit shocked, as I said I have cats all my life, they always ate cat food (when I was student,w e quite had no human food only cat food in the house), bathed themselves, and if we had a litterbox it had dirt in it.
I was just curious if anyone else had had cats that ate human food etc? Surely it's bad for them? When we gave the kitten kitten food she scoffed it all, without a second glance, and left the bowl we had been given (stewed rubarb) alone.

<---- I give my cat Whiskas grin My cat also likes to vacuum the floor laugh
I dont understand why the previous owner had the kitten but cant afford to buy it catfood?...weirdos roll eyes

<---- I give my cat Whiskas grin My cat also likes to vacuum the floor laugh
I dont understand why the previous owner had the kitten but cant afford to buy it catfood?...weirdos roll eyes

I thought that too! I've just made a vet appointment to her chipped and to see if shes been fixed, I forgot to ask. Not to mention vaccinations and everything. The stewed rubarb thing had me fuming, like if it was meat I would be leniet, but I couldn't see how a kitten could get what it needs from stewed rhubarb.
My old cat like to vacuum, though Jude also used to drink tea from a glass.
No I'm not kidding, he used to dip his paw in and lick it clean then dip again. which I know is my fault for leaving half empty glasses of tea and water everywhere.

I feed my girl Whiskas smile
Things would have to be pretty awful not to be able to afford $1.50 or whatever it is for a can of food!! But Im guessing that's why they gave the kitty to you? At least it'll be alot happier and well looked after with your family now smile
They were only getting rid of her cause they were travelling overseas. =( shes so skinny, Honestly no meat on her whats so ever.

You should be feeding your kitten a complete and balanced dry kitten food. Try to steer away from the wet foods as this can contribute to dental disease later in life. You should have plenty of fresh water available as well and do not feed it milk. Once mum weans it it only needs water. Cows milk is bad for both dogs and cats as they cannot digest it.

With animal food you pay for what you get, the cheaper it is, the cheaper the ingredients and the more salt and preservatives, the dearer it is the better it is. I feed my cat Eukanuba indoor/hairball which is a premium pet food which u can get from vet clinics..

Cats are carnivores and especially require taurine in there diet which is gained from meat. without this they will get eye diseases and loose their eye sight eventually.. not to mention other problems it can cause. So what these original owners were feeding your poor cat is horrid..

Congrats on your new edition!! I know u will give it a better life then it could have imagined grin
seriously some people should not be allowed to have animals. If you can't afford to buy pet food you shouldn't get a pet.

On the subject of human food my cat does eat a few things that I eat like bacon and eggs, vegimite toast and fish if I'm eating it but she does get fed normal cat food most of the time. It might be a little easier starting her on wet food rather than bikies. But I would see what the vet has to say. Kitten food usually gives them everything that they need and will help them put on weight. My vet advised me to put my older cat on kitten food after she had kittens as she lost a lot of weight.

They were only getting rid of her cause they were travelling overseas. =( shes so skinny, Honestly no meat on her whats so ever.

I bet shes over the moon to have you as her new owner!! cool
Im sooo happy your giving her a better life smile
Good thing she has you now. We just give our cat dry food, the odd tin food and she shares the leftovers with the 2 little dogs. How is feeding a cat hard it costs me $3 a fortnight for dry food.
We brought her whiskas kitten food dry bikkies and whiskas kitten food wet, which we give her half a little bag at a time. I didn't want her overeating if she hadn't had a proper meal in a bit. we also give her water, as I was under the impression most Cats were lactose intolerant, though I did have one as a child that ate easter eggs. That cat could work the fridge though so I don't think he is a good example of the species.

lol yes.. and I have cats and dogs that come into work all that time that have been given milk or cooked bones all there lives and there owners persist as they have never had any problems.. but no, it isnt ideal..

You can also try raw chicken necks to chew on for its dental health.. she how it likes that grin
I swear my cat thinks its a dog. He eats the dogs food and any leftovers and has sweet tooth for donuts he will eat through the plastic or bag to get to them. He also growls at anyone that come to the door. I havent bought my cat, cat food for a long time as he rathers dog food. So saves me money only buying i sort of pet food.
Sign in to follow this topic