Huggies Forum

sick kids at work Lock Rss

Hi ladies, i work in an office with 2 men and 3 women. Today one of the ladies brought her kid into work (after the boss said it was ok) when he had been up all night vomiting. Now i am 21 weeks pregnant and have been trying really hard to stay away from sick people as i cant afford to get it. Her son is 5 and goes to prep and she just gave a sob story about how she needed to work as she needed the money (she is a casual). Would you say something to your boss that you think its unfair to have sick kids at work or would you just let it go? It has really p*ssed me off all day and i didnt say something today as i would have really gone off. Do you think its appropriate? I dont ever think its ok to have sick kids at work, but even moreso when there are pregnant people there.

Hi ladies, i work in an office with 2 men and 3 women. Today one of the ladies brought her kid into work (after the boss said it was ok) when he had been up all night vomiting. Now i am 21 weeks pregnant and have been trying really hard to stay away from sick people as i cant afford to get it. Her son is 5 and goes to prep and she just gave a sob story about how she needed to work as she needed the money (she is a casual). Would you say something to your boss that you think its unfair to have sick kids at work or would you just let it go? It has really p*ssed me off all day and i didnt say something today as i would have really gone off. Do you think its appropriate? I dont ever think its ok to have sick kids at work, but even moreso when there are pregnant people there.

sick kids or sick workers should not be at work it just spreads the illness.
the same as sick kids should not go to school. just so wrong on so many different levels. the worker was wrong and self centered the kid would have feeled horroried and would have wanted to be at home recovering
Wow- thats really bad, i think i would have considered going home.

I hope you Don't get sick- our family just got over gastro(i'm 24? weeks at the moment-sorry i loose track smile ) its awfull when you're pregnant.

I don't always isolate my family when they're sick with a cold or whatever but i definitely DO when we've got gastro!
Yep i agree, she shouldnt have had her kid there. Yes i understand she is only a casual and everyone needs money these days but its not fair for everyone else in the office. It just spreads germs onto more people and keeps the bugs flowing.

Maybe have a quiet word to your boss tomorrow.

Fingers crossed you dont catch it!
I think it a bad thing to do. It doesn't matter if it's a sick worker or someone child stay at home. It a thoughtful thing is to stay home so no-one else gets sick.
I know that my boss would tell me to stay home- lucky for me my boss is hubby.

I'd be kickin up a stink about it for sure..
I think that is totally and utterly selfish and inappropriate.

I would be absolutely complaining. I can understand a cold but tummy bugs etc should be kept at home!
yup... you should bring it up with your boss. SO not cool. How can the casual work expect to get any proper work done anyway while she is looking after her sick kid???
Ummm...if the child is too sick to go to school, why are they at mum's work?

Surely the child should be at home in bed if they are sick..??

Ummm...if the child is too sick to go to school, why are they at mum's work?

Surely the child should be at home in bed if they are sick..??

Exactly what I was thinking.

My thoughts are, no he shouldn't have been there, but mainly because it isn't an appropriate environment for a child whether they're well or not as surely the parent cannot work to the full capacity if they're looking after a child as well.

The fact that he was sick probably isn't such an issue. Young children will vomit for any reason whatsoever and it usually isn't contagious - maybe they've just eaten something that didn't agree with them or whatever. My daughter has had probably 15 different bouts of vomiting in her life and I've only ever caught it on one occasion, and that was when she vomited right into my mouth (sorry if TMI). And, many children bounce back immediately as they have been sick and there isn't really anything wrong with them, but they can't go back to school until 24 hours after their last vomit.

I dont think you should take your sick kids into work with you BUT I dont know this ladies situation or how your boss feels about it, if he ok'd her bringing her child in then you might be seen as questioning his authority if you raise it. Whether or not you raise it with your boss is probably down to what kind of a relationship you have with the boss and whether raising it is going to do anything, ie will you come across as a whinger or will he actually take your concerns seriously. My DH's boss regularly brings his kid into work and several times he's been sick and one time has had nits, couldnt go to school but his boss brought him into work - for him there is no point complaining about it, its his boss and all he'd do is pee him off. Sometimes even though it might be wrong you wont get anywhere by complaining/raising the issue so sometimes you have to just let it go. Do what is best for you, is it going to benefit you by raising it? Will it stop it from happening in future? If no... let it go. I think we are all concerned about being exposed to illness when pregnant but if you didnt actually touch him or anything he touched and washed your hands before eating then you should be ok.
Sign in to follow this topic