Huggies Forum

Unlicenced driver Lock Rss

My ds has started playing league and I have been taking him to training, staying for a little while to watch, and then when my 2yr old gets grumpy, I come home, and a friends husband brings him home, they live over the road.

I completely forgot until my husband reminded me that he is unlicenced. How does that affect us if they are in a accident. I feel really bad that I didnt remember that detail, so please dont give me a hard time!!!

My ds has started playing league and I have been taking him to training, staying for a little while to watch, and then when my 2yr old gets grumpy, I come home, and a friends husband brings him home, they live over the road.

I completely forgot until my husband reminded me that he is unlicenced. How does that affect us if they are in a accident. I feel really bad that I didnt remember that detail, so please dont give me a hard time!!!

Why does he not have a licence! It will affect his insurance in a crash, don't think he'll be insured, but that's not an issue for you

Why does he not have a licence! It will affect his insurance in a crash, don't think he'll be insured, but that's not an issue for you

He hasnt got a licence as he never renewed it after coming to australia from NZ. They are my neighbours, and even though I like them, they have bad views on things. They dont even have insurance on their house.
if he is unlicenced and has a accident complusory 3rd party will be void, which in the event of any injuries your son will not be covered, neither will any other occupants of drivers vechile regards of who is at fault sorry for spelling

if he is unlicenced and has a accident complusory 3rd party will be void, which in the event of any injuries your son will not be covered, neither will any other occupants of drivers vechile regards of who is at fault sorry for spelling

thanks, I thought it would be something like that. I cant take the chance.
maybe suggest he goes get his aus licence, explain to him that if he was in a accident and if anyone needed medical treatment he would be legally responsible, as medicare does not cover serious motor accidents (similar to workcover). Also if it is a serious accident he maybe personally sued as he doesn't have the 3rd party protection.
He possibly knows that, I will say something, but some people think that things wont happen to them. Same thing as them not having house insurance. If their house burnt down etc, they would prob look at the community for help as they would lose everything.
Easiest way to get the issue solved is ring the police and tell them when and where he will be driving. If he is caught for driving unlicenced it will force him to do something about it.
The fact that he hasnt bothered to fix up his licence is just sheer laziness. Even if he is involved in an accident that wasnt his fault he will still be liable as he shouldnt of been there to begin with.

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

Easiest way to get the issue solved is ring the police and tell them when and where he will be driving. If he is caught for driving unlicenced it will force him to do something about it.
The fact that he hasnt bothered to fix up his licence is just sheer laziness. Even if he is involved in an accident that wasnt his fault he will still be liable as he shouldnt of been there to begin with.

i tend to agree with this person, if your neighbour wants to drive, that's fine, he just needs to sort out his licence first, it's not hard to do. and now that you know you really have a responsibilty to do something about it. how would you feel if he was in a car accident and other people suffered because of his negligence?

tricky situation, but i hope you do the right thing. oh and don't let your kid in the car with him!
I think talking to him first might be a good start before dobbing him into the cops. If you approach it lightly just asking why he hasnt bothered since he moved to aus, maybe theres more to it. Or maybe theres not, but it might just give him a kick up the bum to get around to doing it. And

Driving whilst disqualified has a minimum sentence of 1 year suspension in my state so although it wouldnt be the same charge its definitely not worth the risk if the sentencing is similar.

Would def talk to him before ringing the police, although hes the one taking the risk i think its a bit harsh to call the cops on a friend. I just wouldnt let my DS go driving with him (now that u know)

I think talking to him first might be a good start before dobbing him into the cops. If you approach it lightly just asking why he hasnt bothered since he moved to aus, maybe theres more to it. Or maybe theres not, but it might just give him a kick up the bum to get around to doing it. And

Driving whilst disqualified has a minimum sentence of 1 year suspension in my state so although it wouldnt be the same charge its definitely not worth the risk if the sentencing is similar.

Would def talk to him before ringing the police, although hes the one taking the risk i think its a bit harsh to call the cops on a friend. I just wouldnt let my DS go driving with him (now that u know)

There was a man from NZ on that show RBT just the other night that had done the same thing. Moved to aus and never bothered changing his licence. He got a fine of about $500.

This friend knows he is driving around on an expired licence and he hasnt done anything about it yet so I doubt he will until he is caught. They obviously own a car, is it even registered? If it is then why wouldnt he fix up his licence at the same time as registering the car?

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

There was a man from NZ on that show RBT just the other night that had done the same thing. Moved to aus and never bothered changing his licence. He got a fine of about $500.

$500?? Is that it? That seems so wrong when they're still risking driving with no insurance etc. Thats very surprising, i didnt expect it to hold the same sentence and driving disqualified but i still thought it might come close
Sign in to follow this topic